header install annoyance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

taman86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Started to do my short header swap yesterday. Started yesterday afternoon and GOT stopped in the evening because I started to install the driver side and when I got to putting in the bolts I noticed that the upper forward most bolt hole was filled in, and I thought to myself, no freaking way. I started looking at all the stud bolts since all 4 corners of the manifold had the studs and low and behold a broken bolt. I found it odd because I soaked the bolts with pb blaster, and warmed them up and they were all coming out no problem. When I inspected the broken bolt the center is rusted not a fresh break and clean metal so that tells me that it's been open for a while. So today I get to try extract a broken bolt in my head that wasn't my fault.

Arth

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Limited 4x4
Engine
6.7 HO Cummins Turbo Diesel
These trucks are notorious for breaking those header bolts.

My 2009 Ram had one broken as well.

Usually when one breaks you will get a loud clicking or ticking sound on cold start up that goes away when the engine is warm.

Last edited:

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Yup, broken head studs were bad enough that dodge released a tsb and a hardened replacement bolt for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bouf0010

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Or just slap the stock manifolds on and drive it to the dealership

OP
OP
T

taman86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Spent the day trying to get that broken bolt out. Had to go buy a rechargeable mini screw driver and hex drive titanium bits. I'm pretty close to being deep enough to get an extractor in there. Just a pain in the tight space and all the crap in the way on the driver side. I would've been done yesterday if it weren't for that broken bolt. As for the tick on startup never noticed it and not even a trace of a leak on the old gasket either. I'll finish it up tomorrow. :flame:

OP
OP
T

taman86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well wasn't able to get that broken bolt out but I used copper rtv on the gasket on the head and manifold side and made sure the two bolts next to it work good n tight and it sealed. Gotta love the headers. I have to say other then the broken bolt this was one of my tougher header installs.

LovMyRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QCSB Black Edition, 2014 RCSB.
Engine
Well wasn't able to get that broken bolt out but I used copper rtv on the gasket on the head and manifold side and made sure the two bolts next to it work good n tight and it sealed. Gotta love the headers. I have to say other then the broken bolt this was one of my tougher header installs.

A bandaid at best, you'll regret it down the road. Fix it right the first time. It may take a while, but you'll see.

powderbrad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
^^ I concur. No matter how much of a PITA it is, its even more PITA a second time.

jcat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
EZ outs are cheap and easy to use. Just get it done right and skip worrying about it later

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
I think a few on mine or broken. Not sure though....

I never had the tick, but one day going to work It sounded like I had a huge exhaust leak. When I started my truck to go home, I was going to check it out. Sounded normal and hasn't made that noise sense.. SO I dunno.

OP
OP
T

taman86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yaaaaa easy outs didn't work. The angle I was working at wasn't working very well and it kicked off the bolt and started to drill into the head. I am going to have to helicoil it to repair it when and if it leaks. As of right now it's not.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Just curious, you did remove the inner fender shroud to get better access, right? And were you trying to drill it out with the new header on or off?

OP
OP
T

taman86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Definitely sounds aggressive with magnaflow muffler high flow merge and resonators removed. Power isn't huge gain by itself but noticeable and responsive