Well this was not nice - computer did a hard reset I guess.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DanAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
My 2023 Limited with not yet 2,000 miles. I went to lunch today and when I got in afterwards and started it, there were some computer like noises, and some sort of up-dating Tom Tom message briefly on the media screen and then the radio started playing static and all my dash panel settings, my media screen settings and radio pre-sets all went back to default. Once home I got most of it restored in about 10 minutes but my HUD screen is still not like I had it.

What was this about? Hope it’s not a frequent occurrence.

Mike Wenrich

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2004.5, 2023 RAM 2500 Laramie 4x4
Engine
5.9 Diesel, 6.4 Hemi
I posted recently about a similar update except I could not lock or start my truck during the update. Nothing. If the screen asks if you would like to update now be sure you are parked for awhile. The potential liability for RAM is huge. Imagine someone being assaulted, died because they were overtaken by some calamity of nature or whatever. Makes no sense but add this to the current list. Multiple pages in my book of life.:mad: Vehicles used to be so easy to manage. Get in, insert key and go.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Man, I'm glad I don't have these issues. Every time I read this stuff I'm happy I opted for the Tradesman with no options. The truck rides the same, I just don't have to deal with the BS.
Makes me happy my 2019 Bighorn just has Plain Jane U con 4 Radio, NO NAV, 911 or any of that BS, so no OTA updates. I am still running on the original U Connect programming from April 2018 when truck was built.

OP
OP
DanAR

DanAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I posted recently about a similar update except I could not lock or start my truck during the update. Nothing. If the screen asks if you would like to update now be sure you are parked for awhile. The potential liability for RAM is huge. Imagine someone being assaulted, died because they were overtaken by some calamity of nature or whatever. Makes no sense but add this to the current list. Multiple pages in my book of life.:mad: Vehicles used to be so easy to manage. Get in, insert key and go.
Is that what it sounds like - it decided on its own to do an update of the computer? I hope it doesn’t wipe out all my settings every time it updates. I notice this morning my Nav screen is blank on my Home media screen now.

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
We have two FCA vehicles and so far both have done something similar. It will ask you if an update can proceed, from the over the air routine. Then it may take some time for everything to come back to life as it updates. Mine however didnt reset all my settings though? We did have the blank screens for a time, and then it would reset the tom tom as well.

Mike Wenrich

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2004.5, 2023 RAM 2500 Laramie 4x4
Engine
5.9 Diesel, 6.4 Hemi
My reset changed me back to day one in some settings and it took some time to reset all the things it changed or left blank. Other settings remained. The most inconvenient was the comfort settings. Screwed them all up. Can't wait for another one. Next time I will not OK an update until I know it's going to be parked at home for awhile.

OP
OP
DanAR

DanAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Thing is, I don’t remember OKing the update. But maybe I inadvertently did while partly distracted in backing out of my parking space or changing the radio station. My seat memory settings and some of the vehicle settings seemed to have survived. But yes, can’t wait for it to happen again either. :rolleyes:

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Iirc, if you don’t respond to the prompt it will assume the vehicle is not being used and proceed with the update. Bad assumption.

IMHO it would be better to bring up a date/time selector and allow the operator to schedule the update for when they know they won’t be needing the vehicle.

ReddJackson

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 Turbo
Too muckin’ fuch…gives something to lookout for while not looking forward to it

rvance

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pent 3.6
Man, I'm glad I don't have these issues. Every time I read this stuff I'm happy I opted for the Tradesman with no options. The truck rides the same, I just don't have to deal with the BS.
Amen brother!

Compu-Doc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Makes me happy my 2019 Bighorn just has Plain Jane U con 4 Radio, NO NAV, 911 or any of that BS, so no OTA updates. I am still running on the original U Connect programming from April 2018 when truck was built.
My U Connect did an update a couple weeks ago and yes I did have to reset a couple things but last week I was driving along listening to the tunes and the music stopped and there was a beep and on the display it said there was an emergency vehicle approaching.
I looked around and at first didn't see anything but about 1km behind me an ambulance was coming up

That's a pretty good update!

Tactics

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I saw this on the Internet: ttps://www.classaction.org/chrysler-pacifica-uconnect-screen-camera

Attorneys are investigating whether a new class action lawsuit can be filed amid allegations Fiat Chrysler’s Uconnect “infotainment” system is defective and reportedly causing a host of problems for drivers of various models and model years. What Problems Are People Reporting? Problems with the screens freezing or going black, GPS navigation not working, issues with the rear back-up camera and more. Which Models Are Currently Under Investigation?2021-2023 Chrysler Pacifica; 2022-2023 Dodge Durango; 2022-2023 Ram; and 2022-2023 Jeep Compass, Grand Cherokee and Grand Wagoneer vehicles.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Same thing here, Tradesman with a few factory upgrades I did. Doesn't help OP, but I know that it scares me what my next truck will be like. I expect to get 6+ years still.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Reading these UConnect issues just make me wonder why anyone would get one thing that controls everything from seats to air to music to navigation. These are all non-related items, just why have one system built by low cost bidder or inhouse developers controlling everything. It's like navigation, it is free on a phone and updated all the time. Late last year two roundabouts were opened near here and it sent traffic past a small town. You can always tell the in-vehicle navigation autos as they follow the old route (until the next update is paid for and uploaded) and get to the (now) dead end and then have to turn around.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Same thing here, Tradesman with a few factory upgrades I did. Doesn't help OP, but I know that it scares me what my next truck will be like. I expect to get 6+ years still.
My last truck was a 2000 Silverado 1500 4x4. Bought it new in Oct 1999, sold it last year when I bought this one - had about 200,000 miles on it after 23.5 years and almost no mechanical trouble. I fully expect this one to last as long, and be as trouble-free. If it doesn't, then something is wrong with the truck as they are supposed to only be better mechanically engineered with each model year. We shall see.

lazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi5.7
Maybe we could start a post so all the people that didn't get the U Connect with 911 and navigation could sign in.

Ram2022PWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
On my 2022 PW, I had 1 early update wipe out my preferences - that's only happened once. Wasn't pleased w/ that, but it didn't take long to redo them. In another instance, I parked & shutoff my truck for about 3 minutes & came back to the vehicle doing an over the air update. The over the air update didn't wipe out my preferences. I didn't drive the vehicle until the update completed successfully (about 10 minutes).

OP
OP
DanAR

DanAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
My wife’s brothers drive newer GMC and Chevy trucks and they sound about the same. The Chevy salesman told the one you’re just driving a big computer now.