Headlight Options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ckeefer58

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
So as most other people have said, the stock quad headlights on our trucks are horrible. They have very poor throw and if I turn my fog lights off its like my low beams are DRLs. I work third shift and my commute consists of about 50% woods and 50% fields. So my question is this. Has anyone updated their stock bulbs in the quad housing to LED? I like the look of the factory lights and really don't want to change or modify them. I've heard good and bad things about putting non halogen lamps in housings intended for them. Anyone have any thoughts?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

JeepN77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I have swapped my Bulbs out to OPT7 LEDs, It's not an easy straight forward swap. I did manage to keep the lights intact, minus dust covers. Please don't buy the CREE fog light blubs. I just wasted that money, I am running FLUX Beams high, low, and CREE fogs with no bulb out issues. Low beams are really bright with good throw. Haven't had a chance to drive it at night since I put in the highs though.

Oh, my truck was without front lights for 2 months because this is not simply plug and play. OPT 7 customer support finally helped me and sent me the part I needed. It was a complete nightmare. I ended up spending 5 hours on them a Friday after work, because I was going up to get a car with my trailer and wouldn't be able to do the entire trip in the daylight.

They are bright and have a WOW factor, but they need to be easier to install, and customer support is a little slow.

I have done it if you need help let me know and I'll try to help you. It is possible is about all I can say.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have swapped my Bulbs out to OPT7 LEDs, It's not an easy straight forward swap. I did manage to keep the lights intact, minus dust covers. Please don't buy the CREE fog light blubs. I just wasted that money, I am running FLUX Beams high, low, and CREE fogs with no bulb out issues. Low beams are really bright with good throw. Haven't had a chance to drive it at night since I put in the highs though.

Oh, my truck was without front lights for 2 months because this is not simply plug and play. OPT 7 customer support finally helped me and sent me the part I needed. It was a complete nightmare. I ended up spending 5 hours on them a Friday after work, because I was going up to get a car with my trailer and wouldn't be able to do the entire trip in the daylight.

They are bright and have a WOW factor, but they need to be easier to install, and customer support is a little slow.

I have done it if you need help let me know and I'll try to help you. It is possible is about all I can say.

Ok Ill bite, what was needed to make them work?

Mbrigh3

IG: Stormtrooper_5.7
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Thats crazy, I had the complete OPPOSITE experience. Ordered my Opt7 on amazon and it came with everything i needed. I actually notified them about a part I thought I was missing and they sent it out within 72 hours and did not question it at all. It turns out I actually had the part so it was my fault and did not need it after all. I communicated through amazon and it was a very responsive experience.

The installation: I took both headlights out without a problem. 2 Bolts on top and then the plastic piece you pop out through the fender. After removing the headlight I opened the dust cap and took the old bulb out. I put the OPT7 Leds inside of the headlight and sealed it. No issues at all. The headlight bulb swap took max 30 minutes. :naughty:

Anyways enough reading here is a visual: OPT 7 Led bulbs on Quads. No codes thrown and flicker free.
20160915_202950_zpshgbhnjjq.jpg

20160912_200143_zpsmq9bvqxt.jpg

OP
OP
ckeefer58

ckeefer58

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Thats crazy, I had the complete OPPOSITE experience. Ordered my Opt7 on amazon and it came with everything i needed. I actually notified them about a part I thought I was missing and they sent it out within 72 hours and did not question it at all. It turns out I actually had the part so it was my fault and did not need it after all. I communicated through amazon and it was a very responsive experience.

The installation: I took both headlights out without a problem. 2 Bolts on top and then the plastic piece you pop out through the fender. After removing the headlight I opened the dust cap and took the old bulb out. I put the OPT7 Leds inside of the headlight and sealed it. No issues at all. The headlight bulb swap took max 30 minutes. :naughty:

Anyways enough reading here is a visual: OPT 7 Led bulbs on Quads. No codes thrown and flicker free.
20160915_202950_zpshgbhnjjq.jpg

20160912_200143_zpsmq9bvqxt.jpg
They look great!! I'm guessing the dust caps still get left off either way?

Mbrigh3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They look great!! I'm guessing the dust caps still get left off either way?

The headlight housing has plenty of room to put all the wires. I put all the wiring in the headlight and sealed the caps... They stayed on

OP
OP
ckeefer58

ckeefer58

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
The headlight housing has plenty of room to put all the wires. I put all the wiring in the headlight and sealed the caps... They stayed on
Awesome. One more question. Have you had any issues with heat inside the housing from the drivers?

Mbrigh3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nope

TRXHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can also go the HID route....just get a kit with CANBUS ballasts and you will be set!

Kincer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Can you post a link to the setup you got off of Amazon? I have a 2016 express and when I look them up it says they won't work on my truck.

JeepN77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I ended up having to put the anti flicker adapters in along with the can bus adapters. I kept getting the 5 flashes and then they would just go out, and the bulb out evic message. OPT 7 sent me a stand alone harness I hooked that up temporarily test the lights and eventually found a bad CAN adapter. I could run the lights with swapping the adapters but one adapter was bad. They sent me a new one and it was fine.
Low beams I have Can adapters and anti flickers, high side I have both Can adapters and an Anti flicker on the passenger side only. Not sure why, but this is the combination that works for my truck. No bulb out and everything works normally. Fogs shut off when highs are on, and low and high act normal. I'm happy with the lights now but it was a struggle to get them in and working. Glad ckeefer58 had better luck. Hope this helps.

Mbrigh3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Can you post a link to the setup you got off of Amazon? I have a 2016 express and when I look them up it says they won't work on my truck.

Do you have the quads with the high/low as sep bulbs?

Mbrigh3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I ended up having to put the anti flicker adapters in along with the can bus adapters. I kept getting the 5 flashes and then they would just go out, and the bulb out evic message. OPT 7 sent me a stand alone harness I hooked that up temporarily test the lights and eventually found a bad CAN adapter. I could run the lights with swapping the adapters but one adapter was bad. They sent me a new one and it was fine.
Low beams I have Can adapters and anti flickers, high side I have both Can adapters and an Anti flicker on the passenger side only. Not sure why, but this is the combination that works for my truck. No bulb out and everything works normally. Fogs shut off when highs are on, and low and high act normal. I'm happy with the lights now but it was a struggle to get them in and working. Glad ckeefer58 had better luck. Hope this helps.

I hooked up the anti flicker and the Canbus bypass. I have both of them hooked up on each low beam. No issues at all. The only flicker I get is when I shut my headlights off it will flash really quick then go out. Not a big deal at all. Not even worth mentioning really. Im very happy with them

Mbrigh3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes, the lows are on top, then when I flip on the highs the bottom come on as well.

Sounds like you have the same one as me. Look on this forum itll show you what bulb you need. search "bulb sizes".

FoxBodyJoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Anyone have the OPT7 with 15-16 Projector lights

Mbrigh3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If it said H11 then that should work. Enjoy them