Heated seats possibly already wired on 2013 Sport?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
hunter99

hunter99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ocelot, n my 2011 it was a black rectangular box under the passenger seat. Apparently, on the 2013's and up it's now under the drivers side. As for the switches, yes I just ordered the correct switch bank. When i pulled the cover off the plug was in a dummy holder on the left side. It was green in color. On that truck they just worked when everything was hooked up. I followed another person that did it and mine didn't light up when pressed like his. Once programmed they did.

JGM860, I would agree that some of the wires under there are for the airbags and such. They are plugged in. I haven't found the plug as of yet but like i mentioned, all of the harnesses I could find part numbers for all showed wiring that went there. In the description they list what is excluded and none of them list heated seat or steering wheel. My guess is the plug is under the console or the jump seat depending on how each truck is optioned. I am looking for visible proof myself but looks like I may have to pull the seat to get it. Weather here is crap right now and my garage isn't big enough to park the truck in it. Will have to wait until at least the spring. I am hoping someone else with an SLT up needs to pull their seats for some reason and can look.

OP
OP
hunter99

hunter99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I wanted to add. If someone out there has a truck with heated seats could you take a few pictures under your seats from the front. I am looking for a little black rectangular box. It has 4 smaller plugs in a row and one or two larger plugs that plug into it. I need to know where it is and see how it mounts. If you can also take pictures of the plugs sow it can be seen what they look like and their color that would be a big help too. I, and I am sure other, would be greatly appreciative.

Heywood

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Sport
Engine
eBay is your friend. There are some mopar ones there. About $230. Complete kit. Takes power from the lighter power point.
Direction are on one of the sellers sites.

You use your own seats and install the back pad and seat pad. The truck electronics have little to do with it as you tapping for the power else where. Search the forums here. You'll find the link and info there.

OP
OP
hunter99

hunter99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I actually looked into the route. Based on what I found none of the kits will work. The power hookup they all use (t plug in back of cig lighter) is different for the 2013 and up. Also from calling Chrysler, and emailing a couple of companies the 2013 electronics will apparently throw a code with the aftermarket kits.

The other reason is I want the factory look. I don't mind spending extra for it. I plan on having this truck quite a long time so it is worth it to me.

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would hate to put it this way, but an aftermarket kit is the only option.

with the way vehicles are set up now days everything is controlled through the computers.

google around there are some nice aftermarket kits that have very sleek switches some that have more adjustable setting than just a hi-lo like the factory.

MattACJDB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
PentaStar 3.6L V6
Any Info

Hunter or Anyone else on the thread. I have a 2014 Ram 1500 Big Horn SLT. Does anyone know or can confirm I need a heated seat module to get this to work or is it already installed from the factory>?

OP
OP
hunter99

hunter99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
MattACJDB, I never your post. You do need the module and a while new barnes, plus a bunch of other parts. Not worth doing piecemeal. Better to get a set of seats.

I actually wanted to revive this thread to state I finally got this done. I now have heated seats plus a heated steering wheel. Well I will once the switch arrives tomorrow.

Sorry i don't have pictures but I was able to find a set of brand new Sport leather/ cloth seats like mine with the heaters in them. swapped them out and just need to swap out the switch. I had found someone on another forum with a 2014 that did this ad let me know it was plug and play to an extent (will explain in a sec.).

The seats literally just plug right in and take about 20 minutes to replace each side. It took me longer as I used the opportunity to clean under them. Not sure what models are wired for them but I know the sports are. What doesn't work is controlling the heaters from the touch screen. Because of this they also will not automatically turn on when you remote start the truck when its cold out. I am going to take it in and have this programmed since I have found out that the dealers are now able to add the code.

The heated steering wheel is a little more difficult. It't not bad but you have to deal with the airbag (great thread for adding radio controls on the DIY section shows this). and I never found a complete steering wheel that was heated. I had to order the heated rim, internal wiring, and the proper clock spring. The clock spring is easy as the turn/ wiper stalk plugs in, same for the power pedals. Be sure to keep the clock spring centered or it really screws stuff up.

The existing wheel needs to be carefully disassembled and then pull the wiring out (cloth harness) and replace with the new one. It will have the two extra plugs for the heated wheel. re-assemble onto the new rim and re-install. I have notched one thing with mine. The wheel is now cocked slight to the left (may have been before). I couldn't put it in the steering shaft wrong as it's keyed. The other I noticed is the wheel is slightly down at the back. Meaning that is you look at it from the side the steering wheel is not perfectly straight with the existing steering column cover. I put the old one back on and it was the same so i guess it's normal. Can't really bend anything here so dunno. It's only very slight, and not noticeable, but be aware of it when tightening down as it will rub if you tighten it too much.

The last thing I am going to add, if you are attempting this, it's not that hard just fiddly. Before doing it though, pull the top of you column cover of (just the two T20 torn underneath right behind the wheel) and see if there is a blue plug in a dummy spot. If so then you are pre-wired, If not then I really would think it wouldn't be worth doing.

Sorry, not pictures, maybe one of these days I'll pull it apart a little and take some. was focused and working against the sunlight.

Hope this helps anyone considering doing this. Glad to answer any questions f anyone decides they want to look into doing it.

OP
OP
hunter99

hunter99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not sure if anybody is following this. Just wanted to add I put in the switch panel and the seats and steering wheel heat up as they should. They even show right up on the 8.4 display when you push the button to turn them on. Still need to get them programmed for the extra benefit when remote starting but that will probably be a little bit.

mr5.7hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not sure if anybody is following this. Just wanted to add I put in the switch panel and the seats and steering wheel heat up as they should. They even show right up on the 8.4 display when you push the button to turn them on. Still need to get them programmed for the extra benefit when remote starting but that will probably be a little bit.

If you don't mind me asking. How much were all the parts including the heated steering wheel?

jabrams00

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I want to add the heating pads, switch panel and I am guess I need a module. Don't need the steering wheel. Any pictures of the module and where it goes? I have a 2015

Sent from my iPhone 8plus

OP
OP
hunter99

hunter99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Apparently, through another member, the module is under the driver's seat. I had to look it up and it is a grey box under there. I was't aware as I got a set of new seats, with the heater in them, and it was already there.