heater core!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kajunboy89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Too much of a PITA to do yourself and take it to the dealership??? Because since May, I've had to change my whole front suspension at about 1,000, tranny started to go out, got a busted vacuum line, and my girlfriend got in my truck yesterday and it was full of antifreeze on the passenger side.... so change heater core, or trade the ***** in?

nim81

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
sounds like some kind of luck man! sorry to hear. if you have the time and the know how and patience it can be done yourself but youll have to remove the whole dash and probably drain the freon(not positive)

if your serious about trading your rig in, i would upgrade to a hemi!
how many miles you have now?

OP
OP
kajunboy89

kajunboy89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
47,000 miles on it. If I get another truck, its going to be a Chevy. I never want to look at another dodge after this with all the problems I have with it.

OP
OP
kajunboy89

kajunboy89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I will never go with another dodge. Never had engine trouble, but everything else breaks. Dash had to be changed too to change heater coil. Which is another 500 at least because its cracked.

nim81

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
well i can understand how you feel but every brand has a lemon once in a while.
this is my 4th dodge and i wouldnt go with anything else.
either way, good luck to ya man and hopefully you can get it fixed or find a rig youll be happy with

OP
OP
kajunboy89

kajunboy89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I can't see myself throwing more money into a truck with low miles like this. Ford or Chevy next. If this wouldn't have happened, I might be happy with a dodge.

nim81

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
i cant say i blame you. im guessing no warrenty??

OP
OP
kajunboy89

kajunboy89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Nope. Mom and ol lady say to keep fixing it.

nim81

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
ive noticed women are excellent at telling men what to do! lol

HemiBabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
damn that sucks about your truck

OP
OP
kajunboy89

kajunboy89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So unless someone quotes me 200 dollars to fix it, its gone in a few hours. I'll push a Chevy before I drive another dodge. This is wayyyy too many problems for one truck in 6 months

HemiBabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I hear ya, I would prolly feel the same way if that all happened to mine... someone must've had a hangover when they put your specific truck together on the line that day, lol. Nevertheless, best of luck to you :D

OP
OP
kajunboy89

kajunboy89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I won't look at another dodge.

nim81

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
alright man, youve made your point, i dont think your gunna change anything if you keep bashing dodge on a forum for dodge's

OP
OP
kajunboy89

kajunboy89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Maybe I can at least get a damn warranty and not have a dealership quote me 1,000 dollars, plus a few hours of labor more! Just got off the phone with them.

OlDirtyJohn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Quad Cab 2500 *Sold*
Engine
Hemi 5.7
heater core is just tedious, not hard. did one in a ford expedition. just make sure you have an extra set of hands.

rambob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2l
I understand your disgust. I have had a vehicle or two I wanted to drive into a ditch and walk away from. I'm not saying you dont have issues, but it seams like you got a lemon.

every brand of trucks around 2000 year model has their run of problems.
dodge trucks have had issues with heater cores, dashes, and the occasional transmission
chevy trucks had an issue with abs modules, gauge needle steppers, 4wd switch,
ford, well I havent owned one, not has any family member, but, Idle Air Control valve motor, odometer goes blank, oil filter leak, power door locks, and ball joints is a quick list from a certain forum's FAQ

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
I understand your disgust. I have had a vehicle or two I wanted to drive into a ditch and walk away from. I'm not saying you dont have issues, but it seams like you got a lemon.

every brand of trucks around 2000 year model has their run of problems.
dodge trucks have had issues with heater cores, dashes, and the occasional transmission
chevy trucks had an issue with abs modules, gauge needle steppers, 4wd switch,
ford, well I havent owned one, not has any family member, but, Idle Air Control valve motor, odometer goes blank, oil filter leak, power door locks, and ball joints is a quick list from a certain forum's FAQ

alright man, youve made your point, i dont think your gunna change anything if you keep bashing dodge on a forum for dodge's

Both great replys. To the OP yes it sounds like you have a lemon or just a string of bad luck. A heater core isnt the worst thing to do just takes awhile like ODJ said.

OP
OP
kajunboy89

kajunboy89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
anyway, went to NAPA, autozone, and advanced auto.. only auto parts place around here... and NONE of them can get a heater core and said it was a dealer item... went to a dealer, they STARTED to take it apart when i told them not to, and they cracked the dash worse.. told them they have to pay for it because i told them not to and they said i signed something which doesnt put them at fault... so thats ANOTHER 800... took the truck home and transmission slipped out of gear like three times

sooooo the next day went to a dealership... went drive the new HEMI, but they wouldnt work with me on price at all and pretty much the only thing i could afford would be a work model truck... and the same with Ford... so went price the chevy.. and for the LS and it was 23,000.. so went to the GMC dealership... ended up getting an SLE, with leather, power seats, tinted windows all around, dual climate control, 5.3 w/fuel saver, XM, everything controlled from the steering wheel, crew cab for 24,000.. about 3,000 cheaper than what they offered me at dodge and ford, and gave me 9,000 on my trade in, about 1,000 more than anyone else.