Heater not blowing hot air

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WVUguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 EXPRESS
Engine
So just wondering if any of you have had issues with the heater? It has been a cold week and what a way to end Friday by driving 60 miles home with no heat! It has been as cold as -40 and a high of about 12...could it be frozen up somehow? Will a engine block heater prevent this if so??

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Man bad timing, take it to dealer. Also look into heated seat pads, they are great.

Barracuda556

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Your thermostat could not be working correctly. Maybe stuck.

DublDee

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram Sport CC
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Its definitely the thermostat, and could just be the wrong one for your area. Get it checked out, and I'm sure it will be a quick switch of the thermostat, and you'll be back to feeling the heat.

Sweetee

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Heater

Let me suggest another potential cause. I took my dash bezel off last week to add my cup holder lights and Bayou Goat Mount. When I took the bezel off, I disconnected the plugs for the climate controls. The next day I went for a drive and got only cold air no matter the setting or engine temp. I thought I had all the plugs attached and they all looked good, but one of the climate control plugs "looked" good, but was not seated. I reattached it and lo and behold, I had heat.

If you had your dash apart, make sure you've re-seated the plugs correctly. Hopefully it is something simple like this.

Good luck!

SJC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Get the vehicle up to operating temp. Open the hood and grab the heater hoses that run into the firewall. They both should be hot(same temp). One is an inlet and one is an outlet to the heater core. If they are both hot the truck should be blowing hot air. You would have a problem with the temp blend door inside the dash. If the hose coming out is not as hot (cooler). Then you have a heater core problem. Sometimes flushing it can help. If the hose going in is cool then you have a water pump/thermostat problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnD72

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just in case anyone else was wondering, a Bayou Goat Mount is a Ram-specific mount for cell phone, GPS, radar, etc.

lol I had to Google it.

OP
OP
W

WVUguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 EXPRESS
Engine
Thanks guys...I guess I have to make that crappy trip to the dealer...btw the day before this happened I couldn't get my heater to switch from defrost to the floor setting.. then the next day it started working again

Sweetee

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Just in case anyone else was wondering, a Bayou Goat Mount is a Ram-specific mount for cell phone, GPS, radar, etc.

lol I had to Google it.

I just found out about it a couple weeks ago and decided it would make life easier for me! It is a well-made product! I ended up leaving my Garmin mounted on the top of my windshield, but mount my Android horizontally on the BGM. I have an app that turns my phone into a dash cam! Also, I can see any incoming emails and decide if I need to pull over to answer or ignore without having to mess with the phone. Makes the "better half" much happier!

SJC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks guys...I guess I have to make that crappy trip to the dealer...btw the day before this happened I couldn't get my heater to switch from defrost to the floor setting.. then the next day it started working again

Sounds like a temp/blend door problem. I don't know if dodges work off vacuum like ford does so it could be a vacuum problem too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jessey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Im having a similar problem mine is blowing heat for a bit and then starts to overheat and blows cold changed thermostat month or so ago. Just don't gget what else it could be

psiked

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Now suffering from this issue

TPIM went down about 4mo ago, replaced, all good in the hood.

2wks ago, wife calls up "its f'king cold in the truck, only blows cold air at the feet" - temp wasn't working, nor was the director from floor to defrost. Replaced some fuses, making sure they were seated (some were barely in there) and everything went back to normal. Started again last night, went out this morning, turned the selector switches a few times, lights on and off, red dot light came on the dash panel w/ beep than everything worked again.

I'm not an electrician, still learning auto electrics, but someone w/ more knowledge throw in your 2-cents please.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I don't know if dodges work off vacuum like ford does so it could be a vacuum problem too.
No vacuum actuators in the HVAC system, they're all electronic. I think they stopped using vacuum during the Gen3 trucks.