What to offer for a 2023

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

suicideking

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7, 4X4, Sport and Tow packages.
I searched for new 2023 1500's still in stock and found two I like. Just wondering what would be a realistic price to offer for them.

1. Granite Crystal Big Horn with sticker price of $62K, this one is local. It's listed on their website with -$3000 Dealer discount + 10% off MSRP Retail Bonus Cash.
Net cost is $52,900

2. Hydro Blue Built to Serve edition, this one is 4 hours away. Sticker is $60,305 and it shows 10% -$6031.
Net cost $54,274

So what would you offer for both of these? Lowball and realistic expectations?

Probably going to wait 6+ months to buy. Though if I find a really good deal on a 2023, might buy early. Is there a usual point in time where they discount the previous year model? Figure that might be soon since the 2025 are coming out soon.

rzr6-4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
It never hurts to watch the market but if you aren't going to buy for 6+ months then why worry about what offer to give them? I suspect whatever you come up with now will change over the next six months.

onecooltech

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Ram 1500 BTS Hydro Blue
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I have the #2 Truck on your list with the Hemi V8. Same color and the 2023's come with the same options, besides the V6 or the V8 Hemi. I paid $46,500 last April with multiple rebates from both the dealer and Ram. To me, it's a great truck that has options that a normal Big Horn does not have, with options and luxuries of higher tier models. I'm sure other's opinions will vary.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I searched for new 2023 1500's still in stock and found two I like. Just wondering what would be a realistic price to offer for them.

1. Granite Crystal Big Horn with sticker price of $62K, this one is local. It's listed on their website with -$3000 Dealer discount + 10% off MSRP Retail Bonus Cash.
Net cost is $52,900

2. Hydro Blue Built to Serve edition, this one is 4 hours away. Sticker is $60,305 and it shows 10% -$6031.
Net cost $54,274

Probably going to wait 6+ months to buy. Though if I find a really good deal on a 2023, might buy early. Is there a usual point in time where they discount the previous year model? Figure that might be soon since the 2025 are coming out soon.
What they are asking now is not even remotely what they are going to ask 6 months from , even if by some miracle they still have any 2023 1500's on the lot.

OP
OP
suicideking

suicideking

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the #2 Truck on your list with the Hemi V8. Same color and the 2023's come with the same options, besides the V6 or the V8 Hemi. I paid $46,500 last April with multiple rebates from both the dealer and Ram. To me, it's a great truck that has options that a normal Big Horn does not have, with options and luxuries of higher tier models. I'm sure other's opinions will vary.

I test drove a '24 BTS last weekend and absolutely loved it. Did not know they existed until the salesman showed it to me. Wife wants me to **** about it already. :D
The '24 is 'Nightshade Blue'. Options were exactly what I want with a few bonuses (Falken AT tires and running boards). Though looks very similar to the Hydro Blue of the '23. So assuming I wait, I'm hoping there's still some left when I'm ready to buy.

OP
OP
suicideking

suicideking

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What they are asking now is not even remotely what they are going to ask 6 months from , even if by some miracle they still have any 2023 1500's on the lot.

It never hurts to watch the market but if you aren't going to buy for 6+ months then why worry about what offer to give them? I suspect whatever you come up with now will change over the next six months.

Long story short is I want one now and my wife wants to wait. So seeing if I can find one that's too good of a deal to pass up and what those numbers would realistically look like.

brian42

Military
Reaction score
How long have they been on the lot?

No dealership around me will even talk about dealing below asking price unless it's been on the lot at least 30 days. Even then there's no guarantee.

Just bought a couple of vehicles last weekend and seems like production shortages are tightening the dealership wallets again. Some lots are sparse and other are packed. I can only assume the ones that have lots of new vehicles are in favor with corporate as some lots had a lot of used ones.

Nobody was willing to budge off of their list price for anything in stock that was worthwhile. They knew somebody was going to pay asking price not long after you walk away. I'd been cruising websites for the last few weeks before we dove in and went looking. Everything we liked sold in less than a week. YMMV

The vehicle market is different now and I don't think it will ever go back to the pre-COVID game it used to be. We paid the advertised price but did our "deal" with trade-in value and removing dealer add-ons.

Your area may be different but the surge of overstocked lots has ebbed in my neck of the woods. Unfortunately waiting for the next wave was not in the cards but my family is happy with their vehicles and I was happy with the final numbers...win-win.

OP
OP
suicideking

suicideking

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How long have they been on the lot?

No dealership around me will even talk about dealing below asking price unless it's been on the lot at least 30 days. Even then there's no guarantee.

Just bought a couple of vehicles last weekend and seems like production shortages are tightening the dealership wallets again. Some lots are sparse and other are packed. I can only assume the ones that have lots of new vehicles are in favor with corporate as some lots had a lot of used ones.

Nobody was willing to budge off of their list price for anything in stock that was worthwhile. They knew somebody was going to pay asking price not long after you walk away. I'd been cruising websites for the last few weeks before we dove in and went looking. Everything we liked sold in less than a week. YMMV

The vehicle market is different now and I don't think it will ever go back to the pre-COVID game it used to be. We paid the advertised price but did our "deal" with trade-in value and removing dealer add-ons.

Your area may be different but the surge of overstocked lots has ebbed in my neck of the woods. Unfortunately waiting for the next wave was not in the cards but my family is happy with their vehicles and I was happy with the final numbers...win-win.

I assume they've been on the lot for a while since they're both 2023 models and everyone has mostly 2024. Plus the 2025 is coming out early, within a month or so. I did contact the local dealer with the Granite Crystal. As somewhat expected, said they won't go lower on the price unless I come in and talk.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Net cost is $52,900

Net cost $54,274

Built to serve hands down but if u not buying for 6 months why look?

Last edited:

brian42

Military
Reaction score
You never know what you could fall into.

There are lots of "tricks" in the old days we used to use to counter the dealership ploys to part us with our money. Now that you can find almost anything on the internet, the dealership knows we know instead of hoping we don't. So they've changed their tactics but there are still deals out there if you can find them...or just get lucky. I'm sure they are more than happy to lose a little profit here and there to cash those big checks from the manufacturer.

I don't know if dealerships have as many internal tripwires but there are still corporate incentives that pay a lot better in the long run if you have little to no profit on the last few cars to meet the incentive. You may read about someone who got 25% off their vehicle but you don't read that the dealership met a sales goal and got $100K from corporate.

You never know when you'll be "that someone" and you have to be there for it to be you. It's never been me but, as long as I'm willing to spar with a salesman every now and then, there's always a chance. ;)

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
While prices are coming down they are no where near what they were a couple of years ago and I highly doubt you will find a price "too good to walk away from" at this point, they are still way too high. I could not imagine (nor would I pay) $50k+ for a mid level trim 1500

TruckNut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Inventory nationally is growing overall; with truck prices jumping 10-20% since Covid, people are tightening their wallets. There are discounts (vary by region) now, but as to whether 6 months will change the current situation, it’s a crap shoot. A truly spectacular “buy it now” price would be $15-16,000 off.

brian42

Military
Reaction score
While prices are coming down they are no where near what they were a couple of years ago and I highly doubt you will find a price "too good to walk away from" at this point, they are still way too high. I could not imagine (nor would I pay) $50k+ for a mid level trim 1500

That's not going away any time soon. My Big Horn MSRP was $54K and that was pre-COVID in early 2019.

Prices will eventually stop climbing when people start realizing they can't afford those prices and stop buying. Once that happens then manufacturers will start turning everything into subscriptions to keep draining our wallets.

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
If in this situation, I find two dealers that have the relatively same item. I go to one and lowball the bejeebers out of them. Stick to your guns and let them do their dance. When they come back at you with a "final offer", walk. If they call you within 24hrs and offer to sell it for your offer, you won. If they don't you still won....Because now you can translate their final offer into a percentage, and you then go to the second dealer and lowball them, but realize that they can come to a price that is relative to the percentage the first dealer offered. And FYI - Fizuckle the dealer loyalty BS people will shade you with. Your only loyalties are to your checkbook, because that's where the dealer loyalties lie.

OP
OP
suicideking

suicideking

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So just an update. After discussing with my wife, most likely going to wait 9 - 12 months to get one. Hopefully the interest rates will be lower by then, but not holding my breath. Maybe if Trump gets elected. My wife thinks interest rates will go down during the election in an attempt to re-elect Biden.

Spoke with the dealer that has the '23 BTS. Really like that build and have wanted a blue vehicle for over 20 years and it's never worked out. Got the price down to $51,774, but the 6 - 7% interest rates really killed it for me. More so the timing though. If anyone wants to pick these up:

Didn't really talk to the dealer about the Granite Crystal '23. Here's the link for it:

butterscotch71

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Limited Longhorn
Engine
If you like blue trucks, look at the new Night Edge blue available on the 2024 BTS. After seeing that color I kind of wish I'd waited till that came out. I bought a 2023 in late December and got almost $17K off MSRP (on a Longhorn).

OP
OP
suicideking

suicideking

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you like blue trucks, look at the new Night Edge blue available on the 2024 BTS. After seeing that color I kind of wish I'd waited till that came out. I bought a 2023 in late December and got almost $17K off MSRP (on a Longhorn).

I test drove one and really liked it. That is my favorite color. Hope to pick one up before they're all gone. Looks like there's quite a few of them in my area.

RamBTS24.jpg

Kickboxer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi-non-Etorque
Go on the RAM website and you can find over 5,800 2023 Rams all over the country. Look for the on-line locator.

JoeRfromSC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7e

Net cost is $52,900

Net cost $54,274

JoeRfromSC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7e
I bought my 23 in September. Laramie sport $77,000 sticker. I bought it for $63,000. I offered him $60,000 to begin with. Of course, your mileage may vary.
Start low see where you go. I’ve never gotten emotionally attached to these things. I’m on my 47th truck and I’m only 61 years old. I used to buy them and wear them out due to economic conditions. They’re one of the few true deductions that I can get a good deal on now. I keep them for anywhere from six months to five years.

I’m in General construction, I’ve learned that arguing with a building inspector is like wrestling with a pig. After a while you realize the pig likes it.

When it comes to car dealers, I’ve learned that you can’t insult them. I very nice and very respectful but I always believe that there’s much much more room for them to deal with.

I’m not sure when the twenty fives are coming out but I do know that this is the first quarter of 24. And in the past 23s would be deeply discounted.

Good luck! Keep us informed of your journey!