Hello all !!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fro78

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi all
I have an 03 ram 1500 5.7 hemi
My question is can i add oil additives to the oil to make it not smoke. After driving for awhile then stop at a red light or stop sign then when i accelerate off you can see a cloud of smoke from the back. Im at 110,000 miles

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to RamForum.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
If you are seeing smoke after the engine warms up and after driving and sitting at a stop or a red light I suspect the valve seals, which are rubber, have gotten hard from age and heat cycles and are allowing oil past the seal and into the combustion Chambers.

It doesn't hurt to try an oil additive. Basically you want something to thicken up the oil like Lucas or STP.

If you have some tools and some basic mechanical knowledge, along with a Factory Service Manual, you could replace them yourself and save alot of time and money. The factory service manual is available for download in this forum under the DIY or Tech Forum.

Bloody_Knuckles

USN 81-86
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
What color is the smoke? Bluish-white is oil getting past the rings. Black is caused by a too rich mixture.

Judy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you are seeing smoke after the engine warms up and after driving and sitting at a stop or a red light I suspect the valve seals, which are rubber, have gotten hard from age and heat cycles and are allowing oil past the seal and into the combustion Chambers.

It doesn't hurt to try an oil additive. Basically you want something to thicken up the oil like Lucas or STP.

If you have some tools and some basic mechanical knowledge, along with a Factory Service Manual, you could replace them yourself and save alot of time and money. The factory service manual is available for download in this forum under the DIY or Tech Forum.

Good info- where are the service manuals found?

Bloody_Knuckles

USN 81-86
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Blueish smoke

Bluish smoke on acceleration is oil coming past the rings. Bluish smoke during deceleration is from oil being sucked past the valve seals. A ring job is the only real solution. While you have it disassembled, rebuild and replace everything.