(Help)Ams MDS and tuner kit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

YapoInvestments

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
I am not no professional just trying to make my truck run better. I just bought AMS racing MDS Delete and tuner kit that come
with the Mopar lifters. I’m overthinking what other parts I need to buy. Do I need to get the Melling Oil pump, new timing chain, new Valves , and new push rods? I just want to do it right. I don’t know what else I need to buy plus I’m over thinking it to the max. I will be attempting to do it myself with zero experience because I don’t have the money to afford the labor. The only experience is just changing parts here and there plus reading a lot of info. I’m just planning on replacing all gaskets plus clean. I don’t know what to expect at all.

The truck has 267,000 miles on it with the tick, misfire on cylinder 1&7 If I remember correctly.Im leaking coolant somewhere but idk where. I change the oil every month and I don’t see no coolant in the oil when changing it. No coolant coming out from the exhaust or in the coolant reservoir.The engine is rebuilt with a new block and so far only put 11,000 miles on it.

I am open to recommendations and opened minded on feed back.

IMG_7304.png

OP
OP
Y

YapoInvestments

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
I am not no professional just trying to make my truck run better. I just bought AMS racing MDS Delete and tuner kit that come
with the Mopar lifters. I’m overthinking what other parts I need to buy. Do I need to get the Melling Oil pump, new timing chain, new Valves , and new push rods? I just want to do it right. I don’t know what else I need to buy plus I’m over thinking it to the max. I will be attempting to do it myself with zero experience because I don’t have the money to afford the labor. The only experience is just changing parts here and there plus reading a lot of info. I’m just planning on replacing all gaskets plus clean. I don’t know what to expect at all.

The truck has 267,000 miles on it with the tick, misfire on cylinder 1&7 If I remember correctly.Im leaking coolant somewhere but idk where. I change the oil every month and I don’t see no coolant in oil when Changing it. No coolant coming out from the exhaust or in the coolant reservoir.The engine is rebuilt with a new block and so far only put 11,000 miles on it.

I am open to recommendations and opened minded on feed back.

View attachment 531288
I meant to say Oil in the coolant reservoir.

If I had the option to barter this out with a mechanic I would if I could.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This generation of ram not known to have lifter/cam issues like the newer trucks not common at all you may be hearing a exhaust leak Upload a vid of it running if you can. Do a compression check first then check your coils spark plugs and injectors that is alot of miles on a engine If it is not something simple you are better off doing a engines swap with a used motor.

OP
OP
Y

YapoInvestments

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
This generation of ram not known to have lifter/cam issues like the newer trucks not common at all you may be hearing a exhaust leak Upload a vid of it running if you can. Do a compression check first then check your coils spark plugs and injectors that is alot of miles on a engine If it is not something simple you are better off doing a engines swap with a used motor.
Yeah I have coolant leaking into the oil right now , but into my coolant system yet. Just found out I don’t have a MDS for this year of truck. Idek know if it does because this is a different block and not the original.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I just looked it up, it is confusing for sure

Chrysler's Multi-Displacement System (MDS) is an automobile engine variable displacement technology. It debuted in 2005 on the 5.7 L modern Hemi V8.

HEMI HISTORY, it disputes the statement above

What year did Hemis have MDS?

These systems are functionally similar with similar components and operation, but since much has already been written on the LS, the Hemi MDS is the focus here. If you've got a Hemi-powered 2005-up LX/LC-platform car (Chrysler 300c, Dodge Charger, Magnum, or Challenger), you've most likely got the fuel-saving MDS. May 13, 2020

Tuning Company suggests upgrades to keep your HEMI alive

Last edited:
OP
OP
Y

YapoInvestments

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
I just looked it up, it is confusing for sure

Chrysler's Multi-Displacement System (MDS) is an automobile engine variable displacement technology. It debuted in 2005 on the 5.7 L modern Hemi V8.

HEMI HISTORY, it disputes the statement above

What year did Hemis have MDS?

These systems are functionally similar with similar components and operation, but since much has already been written on the LS, the Hemi MDS is the focus here. If you've got a Hemi-powered 2005-up LX/LC-platform car (Chrysler 300c, Dodge Charger, Magnum, or Challenger), you've most likely got the fuel-saving MDS. May 13, 2020

Tuning Company suggests upgrades to keep your HEMI alive

Ty but I have a 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Exactly, you would not have MDS, if the engine was Stock
just like HemiLonestar wrote

Unless ........

You will have to look at the Serial Number on the engine block
That number usually lets you know the Year that the engine was made

OP
OP
Y

YapoInvestments

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
Exactly, you would not have MDS, if the engine was Stock
just like HemiLonestar wrote

Unless ........

You will have to look at the Serial Number on the engine block
That number usually lets you know the Year that the engine was made
Okay i guess I’ll just have to open her up and see for myself lol. Should I get anything else since im doing this kit?

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
engine VIN on oil pan rail
there was no mention if all 5.7L are found there

from a guy named Matt :

Look at the base of the block just above the oil pan, flat milled section.
should start with a number then 2 letters then 5.7.
1st # = year
1st letter= month
2nd letter=day followed by 5.7

This is what i got from my research and it's accurate for the 2003 to 2008.
Matt

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
It wouldn't matter what year the engine was made, the onboard electronics (2005 DR) aren't capable of running MDS. The physical architecture for it was designed into the block from the beginning, but the necessary control system didn't come until 2005 in the cars and 2006 in the trucks.

OP
OP
Y

YapoInvestments

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
I meant to say Oil in the coolant reservoir.

If I had the option to barter this out with a mechanic I would if I could.
So I have no experience but this is my progress so far today. I’m not a mechanic at all but I have no where to show this too my family /friends don’t care lol. I was able to get to the rockers but I called it a night after I couldn’t get the headbolts loose. They were really tight and I’m scared to snap the head. I am close to opening to exposing the heads and get to the lifter. Also I couldn’t get the Harmonic Wheel to come off lmao I broke two sets of the loaner tools from autozone.It was like this push rod adapter it comes with and I bent them.The tool just couldn’t pull it out so maybe I might have to blow torch it. This is all a learning process for me lol but im enjoying it. I’m open minded to tips and tricks for removing these bolts .

Also I did label all my wires lol bc I Ik I won’t remember where everything goes

Attachments

• IMG_1005.png
    IMG_1005.png
    659.7 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1006.png
    IMG_1006.png
    706.7 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0986.jpeg
    IMG_0986.jpeg
    226.8 KB · Views: 21

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
That is either not your vehicle's original engine or it has been out of the truck before.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That is either not your vehicle's original engine or it has been out of the truck before.
Suggestion, go to a Pick&Pull junk yard and put a used engine in it and call it a day, W/ that amount of miles on it, that engine is wore out, going to cost big bucks to rebuild it.

OP
OP
Y

YapoInvestments

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
Suggestion, go to a Pick&Pull junk yard and put a used engine in it and call it a day, W/ that amount of miles on it, that engine is wore out, going to cost big bucks to rebuild it.
Hey man and you are right. I was stuck trying to pull out the harmonic balancer for the past week. Finally got it off so I could get to my cam. I cleaned my heads and most of the carbon build up on the pistons. Also removed the old head gaskets. All I have to do now is take out the cam and put the lifters in with the new gaskets set.

OP
OP
Y

YapoInvestments

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine

you're right its not my og block but a new one b/c the old one had a crack in it.