Help balancing new tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dbow20

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a new set of 20x10 wheels with new 305/50r20 Nitto 420S tires that I am having trouble balancing. I used counteract balance beads. Their chart recommended 6oz and I read that a little more may be a good idea so I used an 8oz bag. Before the beads I was getting a vibration at 60-70mph and now with the beads it’s vibrating at 70+ and intermittently in the 60s. Is that because the beads are trying to do their job but I didn’t add enough of them? Or do I need to pull the tire and take some out now?

Before the new tires I had a different set of 20x10 wheels with 275/65r20 ridge grapplers and it was smooth at all speeds. With the new tires I replaced the shocks with Bilstein 4600 shocks.

Thanks.

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did you also get the tires conventionally balanced?

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Possible that's it, at least in my experience the beads don't really work all that well. I have centramatics on my Ram and they work well but I have used ceramic beads on 2 other vehicles and a trailer. I think they were better than nothing but still got some shaking at certain speeds. On the trailer I used a lot (8oz on little 225/70-15 tires) but could not really tell if it was shaking or not since nobody rides in the trailer

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar
Beads work great. If someone finds that they don't work, then they didn't instil the proper amount.
To the OP, your issue wild be you have too many beads in the tire. Less is more, that's directly from counteract. I used to manage a tire shop and we used bread for 90% of our highway truck customers. Never an issue. If your tire calls for 6oz, that's the max you want in it. If you have a shake, go with less beads, about 1oz less is a good starting point.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar
Did you also get the tires conventionally balanced?
You don't spin balance and use beads at the same time, that is working against each other.

It's one of the other.

That's the same as looking at a tire with weights all around it... Say one at 12 o'clock, than another at 5 o'clock.... That's a tire tech not knowing how to properly balance. One weight per side of rim (unless you don't have a heavy enough weight, then you place multiple side by side to get the weight you need)

OP
OP
Dbow20

Dbow20

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Beads work great. If someone finds that they don't work, then they didn't instil the proper amount.
To the OP, your issue wild be you have too many beads in the tire. Less is more, that's directly from counteract. I used to manage a tire shop and we used bread for 90% of our highway truck customers. Never an issue. If your tire calls for 6oz, that's the max you want in it. If you have a shake, go with less beads, about 1oz less is a good starting point.

I don’t understand how too much would have a negative impact. too little will not balance the tire but too much should not unbalance the tire? Not saying you’re wrong just hoping you can you help me understand?

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar
The beads are disbursed around the surface of the tire as it rotates, they naturally go to the spot opposite the heavy spot in the tire+rim combination. The rest spread out around the tire evenly. When there are too many beads, they start building up on themselves, they fill that light spot, then when they try to spread out, they can't do it fast enough and end up causing a "new heavy spot" and they try to spread out again... And this repeats, thus never getting a true balance.
When there are less beads, they fill that light spot, then spread the remainder with little effort and no obstruction.
I was a test subject for counteract beads for passenger vehicles too. My 1998 Plymouth neon expresso was a Guinea pig for beads in a 14" tire.
They determined 2oz per 195/60R14. They were wrong, 5 min up the highway and above 60 Kph , it started to shake, at 80 Kph , it felt like I had oval tires, at 120 Kph I had to pull over and stop, I couldn't hold on the wheel.
Brought it back to the shop, opened the tires up, after a phone call to counteract, took .75 Oz out of each wheel, leaving 1.25oz. Went for a drive again..... Smooth as butter, right up to 195 Kph where the speed limiter kicks in. Lol

OP
OP
Dbow20

Dbow20

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The beads are disbursed around the surface of the tire as it rotates, they naturally go to the spot opposite the heavy spot in the tire+rim combination. The rest spread out around the tire evenly. When there are too many beads, they start building up on themselves, they fill that light spot, then when they try to spread out, they can't do it fast enough and end up causing a "new heavy spot" and they try to spread out again... And this repeats, thus never getting a true balance.
When there are less beads, they fill that light spot, then spread the remainder with little effort and no obstruction.
I was a test subject for counteract beads for passenger vehicles too. My 1998 Plymouth neon expresso was a Guinea pig for beads in a 14" tire.
They determined 2oz per 195/60R14. They were wrong, 5 min up the highway and above 60 Kph , it started to shake, at 80 Kph , it felt like I had oval tires, at 120 Kph I had to pull over and stop, I couldn't hold on the wheel.
Brought it back to the shop, opened the tires up, after a phone call to counteract, took .75 Oz out of each wheel, leaving 1.25oz. Went for a drive again..... Smooth as butter, right up to 195 Kph where the speed limiter kicks in. Lol

Thanks for the explanation. I will have to pull the tire and take some out and try again. However, I think if I end up pulling the tire I will just have them road force balanced to not have to go through the process of finding the correct amount for my tires. Filling through the valve stem has been a real pain.

It is interesting that the common recommendation is to use more than less. You are the first to tell me to use less.

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar
I know, I originally thought the same, and several times with transport tires, ended up doing a manual balance with a sit on balancer.... Very time consuming. It was an issue with a set of 35" BFG mud terrain tires, 3 of the 4 wouldn't balance on balancer, not with counteract... And not with equal liquid balance. My BFG rep told me to call counteract for suggestions, and if no luck, he would warrenty the tires. I call them and they suggested only put 2/3 the amount in, and try.
They have me the explanation, said if 3/4 doesn't work, take it down again to 1/2 the suggested amount.
It worked!
This was all about 2 years before road force balancing took off in the industry.