Replacing the tires on my 2018 Laramie Longhorn 2500 (275/70r18)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheTripletDaddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
My stock Firestone Transforce AT's finally hit 3/32" at 33k miles (seems pretty common). Didn't ride them very hard, so a little disappointed in their longevity. Like many others, spent a fair amount of time researching both a) a proper replacement tire and b) the best place to buy them.

My first choice after reading past threads and a lot of comparison tests was going to be the Continental TerrainContact A/T. Unfortunately, they're on backorder with no timeframe given as of today. I watched some really good video reviews by Campus Automotive, as well as others, and did a lot of reading. Even though I do mostly highway driving, I did want great snow and rain performance, as well as confidence in off-roading (gravel and dirt). Ultimately, I decided on the Firestone Destination X/T. Here's a good video review on them vs the Destination A/T2.

This is the first time I've had to actually shop for a set of tires. I've never really kept a car/truck for more than three years, so it was never an issue. But I'm loving this truck and have zero desire to replace it anytime soon. So, I looked at dealerships, Costco, Walmart, local tire & auto places, but finally decided on Discount Tire after reading a lot of other threads. I wasn't sure what to expect, but my experience could not have been better. A couple of others had B3G1 promotions, but jacked up the price of each tire by 33% to make up for the cost of the "free" tire. From Discount Tire, I ordered online in the morning, received a confirmation text that the tires had been received by my chosen store that afternoon, received a call from the store that evening, and was in for my appointment by 10am the following day. Their goal is to get you out the door in less than an hour (55 minutes for mine). They road force balance the tires as part of their basic install package, which they said is a lot easier to do when putting them on new. The out-the-door price was at least $200-300 less than the next closest option. Awesome experience, especially compared to a lot of the reviews and threads I read about the nightmares buying them from Costco (equally cheap).

Plus, these tires look great (especially if you like the OWL look)!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-10-26 at 9.02.20 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-26 at 9.02.20 AM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 14

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thoffmann517