Help! Got that dirvers side lean!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

circuitguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram Tradesman Regular Cab
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Lowered my ram 2/4 with new springs about a year ago. Found that I had a drivers side lean, maybe 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 inch. I left all alone as I still wanted to lower it further in the future. So last weekend I had it lowered to a 3/5 via new belltech springs and a new IHC rear axle relocation kit. The lean is still there but now more noticeable since the tires are closer to the top of the fenders. Is it due to more weight being on the drivers side? Looks like the problem is at the front left wheel, if I put a jack under that a-arm and lift it a bit and the truck will level out.

Any help with this would be great, I have bad OCD and have not slept good since last Friday. :(

IMG_0588(2).jpg

IMG_0589(2).jpg

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Drive it for a few weeks to let things settle/sag,and if it's still out a fair bit,you might have to trim the offending spring slightly to get it to sit level. Check it empty and full of fuel to see if the lean changes.Another option is to add bags to the inside of the rear springs .Make sure the bags are on separate air lines and you can use differing air pressures in the bags to help level it out.

OP
OP
circuitguy

circuitguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I am trying to solve this left lean problem today, here are the actual numbers. I checked twice with the truck on two different level pads.

With the current 3/5 DROP / Measured at center hub from the ground to bottom of the fender lip.

LEFT FRONT 33"

RIGHT FRONT 33 3/8"

LEFT REAR 34 3/8"

RIGHT REAR 35 1/4"

So I took a floor jack and lifted the left side on the frame directly in front of the rear axle 7/8" of an inch until the rear was level 35 1/4", the front followed the rear and also leveled out at 33 3/8"

I believe this is all due to excess weight on the left side of the truck as its manufactured. Considering there is a fuel tank with fuel, steering column, under hood distribution box, battery and a few other left side only parts I would guess this is true.

I believe the best way to solve this is to replace the rear springs with the Timber Grove 6" drop air bag kit $569.00. This way I can adjust the pressure side to side to level the truck out. If I add there compressor and leveling system this will be totally automatic but much more costly.

Any thoughts on my conclusion please chime in.

LEAN1.jpg

LEAN2.jpg

tgairbags.jpg

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I am trying to solve this left lean problem today, here are the actual numbers. I checked twice with the truck on two different level pads.

With the current 3/5 DROP / Measured at center hub from the ground to bottom of the fender lip.

LEFT FRONT 33"

RIGHT FRONT 33 3/8"

LEFT REAR 34 3/8"

RIGHT REAR 35 1/4"

So I took a floor jack and lifted the left side on the frame directly in front of the rear axle 7/8" of an inch until the rear was level 35 1/4", the front followed the rear and also leveled out at 33 3/8"

I believe this is all due to excess weight on the left side of the truck as its manufactured. Considering there is a fuel tank with fuel, steering column, under hood distribution box, battery and a few other left side only parts I would guess this is true.

I believe the best way to solve this is to replace the rear springs with the Timber Grove 6" drop air bag kit $569.00. This way I can adjust the pressure side to side to level the truck out. If I add there compressor and leveling system this will be totally automatic but much more costly.

View attachment 193011

View attachment 193012

View attachment 193013

Now take your tape measure and measure where the engine and tranny sit in the engine bay.The engine is offset to the passenger side of the truck almost a full couple inches to offset the weight of the tank etc. on the drivers side. I had the corner weights off my 4X4 RCSB Sport somewhere,i'll have to see if I can find them.If you have a truck scale anywhere close by,just drive 1 wheel onto the scale at a time,and you can get a pretty accurate reading of your corner weights

OP
OP
circuitguy

circuitguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Now take your tape measure and measure where the engine and tranny sit in the engine bay.The engine is offset to the passenger side of the truck almost a full couple inches to offset the weight of the tank etc. on the drivers side. I had the corner weights off my 4X4 RCSB Sport somewhere,i'll have to see if I can find them.If you have a truck scale anywhere close by,just drive 1 wheel onto the scale at a time,and you can get a pretty accurate reading of your corner weights

Thats crazy!! Whats do you suggest the best way to fix this?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Thats crazy!! Whats do you suggest the best way to fix this?

If picking up the front drivers corner levels it out,you'll want to trim the opposite side rear spring,which would be the common side or passenger side spring that ends up usually needing trimming.You're not alone in having to trim springs to get the truck to sit level,especially the rear pass side spring. Some day when you're bored and stomping around a dealers lot,measure a couple brand new trucks,very few of them sit absolutely level,lol. Awhile ago I measured 4 brand new trucks on the lot,and only one was actually close to level,the other 3 all had some degree of differences side to side.

OP
OP
circuitguy

circuitguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
If picking up the front drivers corner levels it out,you'll want to trim the opposite side rear spring,which would be the common side or passenger side spring that ends up usually needing trimming.You're not alone in having to trim springs to get the truck to sit level,especially the rear pass side spring. Some day when you're bored and stomping around a dealers lot,measure a couple brand new trucks,very few of them sit absolutely level,lol. Awhile ago I measured 4 brand new trucks on the lot,and only one was actually close to level,the other 3 all had some degree of differences side to side.

So on my Ram I would just keep trimming the right rear spring until I get level? If one coil is about 1" of drop how much do you think I should take off at a time? I think I need the right rear to come down at least 7/8" to 1".

Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
So on my Ram I would just keep trimming the right rear spring until I get level. If one coil is about 1" of drop how much do you think I should take off at a time? I think I need the right rear to come down at least 7/8" to 1".

Start small,it's not hard to trim more,but virtually impossible to add back,lol.I'd start with no more then 1/2 a coil at most,then re-install it for a few days.It might take you a few shots to get it level. A cut-off/zip disc in a side or angle grinder is the way to cut them,and make sure you put a slight taper and round off the edges of the cut end. If you leave it as a square sharp edged cut,there's a good chance it'll wear itself through the rubber isolater in short order,and cause a squeak that'll drive you nuts trying to find,trust me I speak from s'perience,lol

Slickity79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

LEFT FRONT 33"

RIGHT FRONT 33 3/8"

LEFT REAR 34 3/8"

RIGHT REAR 35 1/4"

View attachment 193011

View attachment 193012

View attachment 193013
+1 on what Wild One said, and that's exactly where I'm at as well (along with a now trivial noise). Mine is only a half inch to the drivers side and has been for a good 3 years. Going to fix it the same way, with smaller increments.