Help me pick a new HU...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pigeonman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2014 Black Express with standard uconnect 5.0

Just moved to the city and would really like to get a decent GPS integrated into the dash. Beyond that my plans for audio don't go beyond upgrading the speakers and maybe a sub/amp someday.

Recommendations please.

troutspinner

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 Hemi
How much do you want to spend. Any entry level GPS receiver should do the trick for your needs. I personally am a Kenwood fan, they just sound good to my ears.

OP
OP
Pigeonman

Pigeonman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
To be honest I don't even know what they range in price. I'm more concerned that I stop taking wrong turns. Lol! What does a unit that's also compatible with my stock backup camera and sat radio run? I really know nothing when it comes to audio so you're gonna have to spoon feed me...

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
I'm not sure any aftermarket unit is compatible with a factory backup camera but you can tap into the feed and have it displayed on the new unit. You'll have to pick up a siriusxm sxv2001 tuner to use siriusxm. Here's the link for the backup camera

http://www.ramforum.com/showthread.php?t=61722

Hooking up Rear Camera to A/M Head Unit

I've always been a fan of the navigation that pioneer uses. I recently picked up a Alpine Ine-z928hd nav unit but haven't had a chance to use the nav yet.

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OP... asking a question is like asking a room full of people what better dodge, chevy, ford...

i personally have had alpine, pioneer, kenwood (dvd, nav) units in many of my cars. they all have their plus and minus. because of how fast nav updates come out if i was in the market i would look into a radio that has the ability to "mirror" your smart phone. that way the nav doesnt get out of date

what i recommend is going to a few different stores, playing with what they have and you buy what you feel comfortable with. DONT pay any attention to the wattage of the radio. that is max power ratings and your radio will never see that. look at rms rating on the radios most are like 10-20watts.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
My last unit i had was a sony xav721hd. No nav but had mirror link. The only downside was to get the mirror link to work i had to by the Sony xperia z3. Essentially got it for free after selling my note 3. The phone itself is great. Battery life is better than any phone I've owned. The mirror link feature is great. You can control your phone from the headunit. Use any app on your phone from the headunit. Use Google nav and display it on the headunit. The only reason I sold the unit was i didn't like how big the opening is for the 13+ radios and felt it looked small.

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I personally would just use my phone on a dash mount. I know its not the best looking option but it doesn't go out of date and if you have to change things on the fly you can. I personally have never seen a nav in an aftermarket radio that works as well as google maps on my phone but that's me and my opinion, like baum said its going to come down to what you like and try out.

EagleChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Or, just buy a GPS for a lot cheaper... Garmin, TomTom, etc.

Personally, I use my phone and our stand alone GPS so much, that I couldn't justify spending the money to have the NAV added to our stock head unit. It was an extra $500-$600 from the dealer. Now, I know aftermarkets could be cheaper, but my guess is your still looking at $300-$500. A decent Garmin or TomTom unit will cost roughly $100.

OP
OP
Pigeonman

Pigeonman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks guys. I'm gonna check out Garmin as well for a dash mount unit. I've had pretty good luck with them before. I just thought it would be nice to keep the dash uncluttered if possible.

troutspinner

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 Hemi
To be honest I don't even know what they range in price. I'm more concerned that I stop taking wrong turns. Lol! What does a unit that's also compatible with my stock backup camera and sat radio run? I really know nothing when it comes to audio so you're gonna have to spoon feed me...

After reading this, I would recommend the route you are entertaining with getting a separate GPS unit as well. Being that you are in a city, having a GPS you can store in a console or glove box will help keep "prying eyes" out of your truck as well.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
After reading this, I would recommend the route you are entertaining with getting a separate GPS unit as well. Being that you are in a city, having a GPS you can store in a console or glove box will help keep "prying eyes" out of your truck as well.

Good point

atticusfaul

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just saw a really cool gps unit that was integrated into the rear view mirror at crutchfeild.com. Best of both worlds for keeping the dash uncluttered if you want to keep the factory head unit.

OP
OP
Pigeonman

Pigeonman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Still using the suction cup that came with the Garmin I picked up. It's working for now but I might try one of the ones that clip into the vents.

EagleChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Look into either the bayou goat mount, or the Koomus K2 mount. I use both and they are great mounts. The bayou mount is for my TomTom GPS, and the K2 mount for the Note 4.