Help, no power and hissing exhaust! WHAT?!?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cojmpr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
First of all I have a 1996 1500 4x4, 5.2-318
My problem started yesterday with the engine sounding rather like a small Honda engine. Performance was ok, nothing poor except the sound of the engine when under power, idling was much quieter but still noticeable.
Once I was home I parked and shut it down all was well. My daughter then took it out about two hours later drove approx. 10 miles and was on her way home when about 2 miles from home it lost power and she couldn't get it above 40 mph and it just kept bogging down power wise. She limped in closer to about 300 yards of the house when it died. She left it there and walked home to get another truck to tow it to the house with and me. When we got back I hopped in and started it, which it did just fine but was running rough. I limped it on home with no power. It acted as though it was either getting to much air and choking out the fuel or it just wasn't getting enough fuel. At this point is started looking at it and checking hoses, wires, connections, air filter, etc.. Found the oil was 2.5 qts low and a quarter of the air filter had a nasty blow back stain on the drivers side. Everything else looked fine. I topped off the oil and started it back up. Ran good no funky Honda noise. Didn't test drive it as it was to late and my helper had to leave. This morning I jumped in it to idle it before I headed to work, it started and idled great just like last night, although I noticed the exhaust pipe sounded like it had a flat and was hissing air! I moved it around the yard to load a washer in first gear, power seemed great in first, backed out drove off made it 100 yards and lost my power again. Drove on for approx a half mile never getting out of 2nd gear and above 5 mph, it tried to gain some power a couple times, made it to 10mph, but it just couldn't make it happen! I drove it home. RPMs seemed to be good/average, never got over rapped.
On a additional note I have had a funky rattle under the cab of the truck for the last three days, sounds like an exhaust bracket bolt came loose and the bracket is hanging and banging around on the exhaust and frame. (Ie metal on metal rattle, loose non confined) was told this could be the clutch going out.... Hoping it's not related to the power problem.

OP
OP
C

Cojmpr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Going to try the cat issue first cause I normally do when I buy a vehicle anyway. I just haven't had the time, welder, money to do it yet.
Also going to change the fuel filter.

Had a couple people mention the timing chain/belt, what r ur thoughts regarding this idea?

Would there be any harm to the engine or vehicle if I drive, (limp), it to a mechanic? 10-15 miles from my home......

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
The easiest way to test a cat in these trucks is to drop it in neutral and see if you can rev it past 4000rpm. If you can't, you have a clogging cat. Easy.

Can't change the fuel filter because that's one unit combined with the fuel pump. Timing chain won't cause what you're experiencing.
As for limping it, if the truck passes the rev test, you might be experiencing a fuel issue (dying pump) and would need to put a pressure gauge on it to see what that pump is doing.

OP
OP
C

Cojmpr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I will go try the rev test now! I don't have an RPM gauge, :-(, but I will do my best at doing an ear gauge. Probably gonna be obvious if it doesn't pass it!

I just found the filter, and it's sitting on top of a FULL fuel tank too. Hahaha
Just love people who tell you where something is and it's not there but exactly where you thought it was to begin with......

Had so many people tell me so many different things that are wrong with this it's making me nuts. That's why I asked if it would be safe to limp it to a shop.....

Doing this by myself too and without the proper tools I used to have. No torques, testers, gauges, etc.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
The engine will start getting pretty loud at about 3.5k...so if it's quiet or falls on its face, you have a problem. lol

Yep, filter and fuel pump are located in-tank. Gotta drop the tank or lift the bed to get at it.

I would try figuring it out myself first, otherwise you run the risk of the shop BSing you and making you spend way more money than is necessary. :imo:

OP
OP
C

Cojmpr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just tried the rev test and it totally bogged out at about 3-35K! So we r gonna try dealing with the cat first.

We'll luckily I have a couple really good shops that I deal with in town as I used to work at one of them. I know just enough about mechanizing to NOT get taken by a shop, but not enough to really do the work or trust my gut on the big stuff like this that I haven't experienced before. I do know just enough to know when to ask for help and from whom to trust and whom to know is BSing me! Hahaha

It really sux being a broke girl sometimes....... :-((

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
If you've got the time, you can remove the pre-cat O2 sensor from the cat and try the rev test again....but only after the truck is very much cooled off. By doing this, you'll be relieving pressure off the engine, via that small hole, and it would likely be enough to allow you to rev the engine higher.

OP
OP
C

Cojmpr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Got the cat taken off and it was distroyed inside! Ran a second rev test and it was a HUGE difference. Rattles gone, runs smooth, keeps power and revs up and stays, no bogging down. So it's getting fixed! Woohoo
Thank you sir for your help with this!

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Awesome!

Now, you have to fix the root cause that is described in the thread which I had posted previously. You said you were 2-ish qts low on oil, that's a blown plenum. The plenum is what trashed your cat, if you have to install a new one, you'll be trashing that one soon enough as well.

leadrofthepak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That rattle was the innards of the cat breaking apart and bouncing around inside the converter. I think DD94 is right about your intake plenum gasket leaking too. The oil consumption is a tell tale sign.

OP
OP
C

Cojmpr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok great I will start getting stuff put together to get it fixed and start looking for someone to complete the task. Thanks for your help!