Help shed light on Headlights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tsam170

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Greetings all.

im sure i could get some good suggestions from this forum. I own a 2015 RAM1500 Sport. She has factory OEM Projector Headlights but i need to replace them. Ive been looking around at some but when i find a pair i like it seems i couldn't use them because they weren't designed to replace headlights that were OEM projectors. i don't know why i couldn't just install a pair that i like but if it is because it may cause an electrical issue id rather not take the chance at messing anything up.
Im currently on a budget at this point in time so id love to get some advice on a decent pair of headlights that is under 200 that i can replace the current headlights with. i can do the job myself i just need the headlights. any suggestions are most welcome.

Thank you all for your time.

Tim

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Im currently on a budget at this point in time so id love to get some advice on a decent pair of headlights that is under 200 that i can replace the current headlights with. i can do the job myself i just need the headlights.
Your budget of $200 is probably going to put a stop to replacing the headlights. You can probably get a good pair or two of high output halogens or LEDs bulbs to install for that kind of budget. You may need a set of resistors and/or AlfaOBD to make LEDs work with the truck so that narrows what you can can do. There is also adapters available to go from the projector style headlights you have to the reflector style which most aftermarket are made for.

Some people say specific LEDs work in projector headlights yet other say they don't.
If you looking for better lighting when driving on roads where there's no oncoming traffic, replace the High eams with LEDs.

mrack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Are the lenses broken or something to the point they actually need replaced? Or are you just unhappy with the output? If the latter theres plenty of threads on upgraded bulbs that would be inside your budget. If you actually need lenses, the best you could do for $200 is a used set of reflector style lights off fb marketplace. Anything you find on amazon or ebay will be cheap junk that will fog up, have even worse output, poor fitment, etc. Always go OEM or quality aftermarket on headlights

OP
OP
Tsam170

Tsam170

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
there is a breach in the drivers side headlight where moisture has condensed inside and has already disabled the turn signal. its because of that i need to replace the headlight.

RamRanger2112

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Are the lenses broken or something to the point they actually need replaced? Or are you just unhappy with the output? If the latter theres plenty of threads on upgraded bulbs that would be inside your budget. If you actually need lenses, the best you could do for $200 is a used set of reflector style lights off fb marketplace. Anything you find on amazon or ebay will be cheap junk that will fog up, have even worse output, poor fitment, etc. Always go OEM or quality aftermarket on headlights

I've been trying to search this site for other threads, but spent about an hour on it and this thread seems to be most compatible with my issue.

I have factory projector headlights, but I believe the prior owner swapped out the headlights and fog lights. When I drive only the fog lights actually illuminate the road safely. If I turn off my fog lights, I can't see more than 30 yards in front of the truck.

My question is, if I have to tear apart just to replace a bulb is it worth it to just get all new headlights?

If a bulb would help, what has been a success for others with factory projector housings?

TIA for any input!

NJ4X4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a set of quad reflector headlights in perfect condition if you want them for $100 and I'm in NJ too. They came of my 2013 when I replaced them with projectors. They've been sitting on a shelf in the basement for about 8 years or so.

Just thought about it...they probably wouldn't work for you either since your truck came with OEM projectors.

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've been trying to search this site for other threads, but spent about an hour on it and this thread seems to be most compatible with my issue.

I have factory projector headlights, but I believe the prior owner swapped out the headlights and fog lights. When I drive only the fog lights actually illuminate the road safely. If I turn off my fog lights, I can't see more than 30 yards in front of the truck.

My question is, if I have to tear apart just to replace a bulb is it worth it to just get all new headlights?

If a bulb would help, what has been a success for others with factory projector housings?

TIA for any input!
Show us some pictures of the lights and then the output. Who knows when you get a used truck? I have swapped every light out myself.

RamRanger2112

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Show us some pictures of the lights and then the output. Who knows when you get a used truck? I have swapped every light out myself.
Here you are. I'm pretty sure both headlights and fogs are LEDs, but it bothers me that the LEDs are still a warm/amber color versus the 5000K color which is what I prefer.

IMG_0103.jpgIMG_0104.jpgIMG_0105_2.jpgIMG_0106_2.jpg

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yikes! That does look pretty bad.
The projectors look to me like they are leds you can see the split beam from the led boards when you look at the housing. Looks like they are clocked a 3 & 9 oclock and there's a shadow at 12 and 6.

If that's the case, classic example of why not to put leds in a projector housing. Projectors are designed for 360 degree light output like a bulb or Hid.

I'd put some Hid low beams in it. The factory housing with hids are awesome from what I've seen. I have quad reflectors myself so I don't have first hand experience with the projectors. But I've wanted a set for years.

RamRanger2112

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Thanks for the feedback!

Does anyone have any HIDs they'd recommend? Did a quick search and it looks like I could easily spend ~$400+ to replace the LEDs the prior owner put in there.

At this point, would I be better off buying aftermarket housing all together?

LeeD

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I recently replaced my right headlight assembly with one from RockAuto. It came with all of the bulbs already installed. It cost me about $230 for the assembly so you’re looking at around $460 for both. It’s not OEM but you can’t tell from looking at it.
Just replacing the bulbs should be cheaper I would hope.

RamRanger2112

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Hello again all...

I purchased these HID bulbs from Amazon but I'm not sure if they will work:

Below are images of both the LEDs that were in the projector housing and the HID ones I purchased. There are extra wires on the HIDs, so I'm assuming I'm going to have to throw a bunch of $$ on ballasts?

If that's the case, wouldn't I be better off spending the money on new housings all together if I want to have LEDs?

Attachments

• IMG_0022.jpeg
    IMG_0022.jpeg
    198.8 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0023.jpeg
    IMG_0023.jpeg
    188.2 KB · Views: 3

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
There are extra wires on the HIDs, so I'm assuming I'm going to have to throw a bunch of $$ on ballasts?

If that's the case, wouldn't I be better off spending the money on new housings all together if I want to have LEDs?
For HID bulbs you need ballast and possibly relay harnesses.
If you want LED headlights your probably better off buying housing made with LEDs built in

RamRanger2112

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Thanks for the feedback.

Guess my cheap option is to go to the local store and pick up halogen replacement 9012s.

Ramulus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco
Those Diode Dynamics LEDs are not cheap. I'm not sure why those were ever recommended for projector housings though. I tried that back in 2016 with similar shaped XenonDepot LEDs. Expensive and did not improve light output over stock halogens.

There was a member who said these Sealight LEDs work great in the OEM projector housings because they have a 360 degree light pattern (similar to a halogen or HID).
Amazon

I can't speak to that, but I can say LEDs like the ones pictured above from DD are only good in reflector housings and they also need to be clocked correctly. Any LED that is shaped like that should not be used in projectors. Here is the thread with the pics - https://www.ramforum.com/threads/2015-ram-sport-headlight-replacement.205318/

As for HIDs, I ran XenonDepot ballasts and Morimoto bulbs for 6+ years without issue. Now I'm running Osram Xenarc bulbs which are much more expensive but are a whiter light. I'd still be happy with the Morimoto 5500K bulbs.

If you go with HID, you can either reuse those Diode Dynamic canbus adapters, or you can set your headlamps to HID in AlfaOBD and not use those adapters. Whether or not you need the relay harness, I'm not sure about 2015 models. I would try it first without it.

One final word, you can easily get 5 years from an HID bulb. It's unclear if you will get that from these LEDs with built-in fans.

ramman95

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500 Limited Crew Cab 6'4" Bed
Engine
5.7L Hemi 4X4
Thanks for the feedback.

Guess my cheap option is to go to the local store and pick up halogen replacement 9012s.
I also have a 2015 Ram that I'm in the process of building a set of custom headlights for. In the meantime I needed some better light output so I added some HID bulbs and ballast. I picked up some NHK 9012 bulbs off eBay for $32 and I used Hylux 2A88 canbus ballast and the output is amazing. The ballast will cost you around $50 each off eBay. You can get them for around $35 each off aliexpress but it will take 10 to 14 days to deliver. Lightwerkz also sells the two Hylux ballast along with Morimoto bulbs for $150. You can't go wrong with either option. HID is the way to go, you don't want to run LED in these projector headlight.