Help! WEIRD noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

insta

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 5.7L hemi 2004 1500 4x4

So I was driving this evening, stopped to get some icecream (Florida 99 degrees) as I was pulling away from the drive through, my truck started making a VERY weird noise from the front end / engine bay possibly. It sounded like rain hitting a metal roof (intensely though). I came to a stop (thinking it might be my wheel hub / bearings) and put it in neutral and revved lightly, the sound continued to grow as I revved. I live about a mile away from where I was so I drove home, parked and turned off the engine (Made the sound the whole way home). I turned the truck back on about fifteen minutes later and drove around the block - no sound..

Not much I can think it could be:

• Oil? Changed recently and oil is full
  • Transmission? Had fluids checked 3K miles ago
  • Bad gas? (went to a pretty sketchy place to buy gas today and I was almost on E) - sorta think this might be it or transmission :(
  • Still possibly the front wheel hubs?

Please any help would be great. I am pretty confused!

Thanks,

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360
Sounds like the engine was pinging from either low octane fuel or an overheated engine or both. I would watch the temp gauge real close and make sure the coolant level is OK. Maybe try adding some premium gas when the tank gets down to half full. :welcome:

RamRod37

2014 Ram 2500 HD 5.7 Hemi
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
It may Have Been Engine Fan Picked up something too id check where you shut it off and see if something's laying where you parked cause if there was something in fan or drive belt area it could have fell off when shut off just an idea

HemiSLT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2006, 2017
Engine
Hemi 5.7, Ecodiesel
Sounds like a lifter is going bad to me.

OP
OP
I

insta

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Fixed!

Hey all,

So brought it to a local mechanic, turns out it was my idler and tension pulleys. They went bad (Idler WAY worse than tension).

$107.00 and I'm back on the road. Appreciate all the replies, I went through and thoroughly checked everything mentioned before bringing it in.

Thanks again!!

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
I was going to ask if it was raining on your way home.