Help with noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CoreyLRam96

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So recently my truck has started squeaking from up front under the hood, It used to do it a few months back but I replaced the serpentine belt and the squeaking stopped for a few months up until now. The squeaking has come back I replaced that belt with an even newer one to see if that was it and the squeaking stopped for a day then continued again. I've replaced the tensioner pulley and am going to replace the idler pulley tomorrow. It squeaks very bad when accelerating and the squeak starts as soon as the truck is cranked. Please help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Repsol69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Check ur exhaust manifold bolts... had the same on my 2013 Sport turned out it was the bolts... number 7&8 cylinders. It's a problem they've had for years.

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
You have a pulley off alignment (bearing going out) that will wear the belt. I had this issue with mine and found that I didn't get the power steering pulley seated all the way and it allowed for the belt to squeal.

OP
OP
CoreyLRam96

CoreyLRam96

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You have a pulley off alignment (bearing going out) that will wear the belt. I had this issue with mine and found that I didn't get the power steering pulley seated all the way and it allowed for the belt to squeal.

Do you think it might just be the idler pulley left? That's the only other pulley that could be going out that I haven't replaced.

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
Do you think it might just be the idler pulley left? That's the only other pulley that could be going out that I haven't replaced.

Have you replaced the tensioner? If you don't have enough tensio it'll allow the belt to slip, take your belt off and spin the idlers to see off they spin free ( they should have a little resistance and not spin like a skateboard wheel). Make sure that they don't wobble around either cause that'll mean the bearing is toast. I've always replaced the belt, tensioner and idler pulleys together as a good measure.

OP
OP
CoreyLRam96

CoreyLRam96

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Have you replaced the tensioner? If you don't have enough tensio it'll allow the belt to slip, take your belt off and spin the idlers to see off they spin free ( they should have a little resistance and not spin like a skateboard wheel). Make sure that they don't wobble around either cause that'll mean the bearing is toast. I've always replaced the belt, tensioner and idler pulleys together as a good measure.

I just replaced the tensioner and the belt, still squeaks. Last pulley to replace is the idler pulley. The belt is very tight as it should be but it has to be a pulley.

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
I just replaced the tensioner and the belt, still squeaks. Last pulley to replace is the idler pulley. The belt is very tight as it should be but it has to be a pulley.

So your your your tensioner is out of the way... I would for sure check the idler, if the idler is good then I would start looking at a pulley being out of alignment.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
The only way to check a bearing is under load, anything else is a waste of time. When you spin it by hand, apply pressure to the wheel like the belt would, it should spin smoothly, any hangs or noises will be 10x worse when being spun by the engine.

Check the idler and tensioner pulleys first, those go out all the time on the second gen trucks. My tensioner is so bad if you put your hand on it while running it feels like its made of rocks.

If its not those, then your problem might get a lot worse to fix.
That being said, does the noise change with electrical load? Try with all lights and fans off, then turn on the blower and high beams, if the squeak gets louder, its probably the alternator. If it remains unchanged, then check the power steering pump, pull the cap and crank to full lock. You'll hear the pump hit resistance, but if thats the issue the noise will either go away or sound like you put a cat in there. The waterpump is hard to check but letting it warm up then when its making a noise, hitting it with cold water from a garden hose will change the pitch of the noise if the front bearing is going out.

OP
OP
CoreyLRam96

CoreyLRam96

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So your your your tensioner is out of the way... I would for sure check the idler, if the idler is good then I would start looking at a pulley being out of alignment.

Yea but if there is one of alignment wouldn't it be very difficult to find if it's out of alignment by a hair?

OP
OP
CoreyLRam96

CoreyLRam96

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The only way to check a bearing is under load, anything else is a waste of time. When you spin it by hand, apply pressure to the wheel like the belt would, it should spin smoothly, any hangs or noises will be 10x worse when being spun by the engine.

Check the idler and tensioner pulleys first, those go out all the time on the second gen trucks. My tensioner is so bad if you put your hand on it while running it feels like its made of rocks.

If its not those, then your problem might get a lot worse to fix.

That being said, does the noise change with electrical load? Try with all lights and fans off, then turn on the blower and high beams, if the squeak gets louder, its probably the alternator. If it remains unchanged, then check the power steering pump, pull the cap and crank to full lock. You'll hear the pump hit resistance, but if thats the issue the noise will either go away or sound like you put a cat in there. The waterpump is hard to check but letting it warm up then when its making a noise, hitting it with cold water from a garden hose will change the pitch of the noise if the front bearing is going out.

If it was the water pump or alternator wouldn't the water pump be leaking water out of a hole? And the truck battery is fine it's never been dead so I don't think it is my alternator but I can definitely check today if the idler pulley doesn't resolve my issue.

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
Yea but if there is one of alignment wouldn't it be very difficult to find if it's out of alignment by a hair?

It would be by a good bit to wear the belt bad enough to make it squeal. You can check the alignment with the belt off and a string, this is how I found my PS pulley to be out.

OP
OP
CoreyLRam96

CoreyLRam96

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It would be by a good bit to wear the belt bad enough to make it squeal. You can check the alignment with the belt off and a string, this is how I found my PS pulley to be out.

It could be a different pulley out of alignment because when we took off the original one, the other one had some white marks on it where it looked like it had rubbed on something

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
It could be a different pulley out of alignment because when we took off the original one, the other one had some white marks on it where it looked like it had rubbed on something

Which pulley are you speaking of, the idler?

Edit: Check to make surew the bearing are good on PS, WP and altenator along with the idler.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CoreyLRam96

CoreyLRam96

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Which pulley are you speaking of, the idler?

Well i don't know what pulley could be out of alignment. All I know is I've replaced the tensioner and that didn't work. Replacing the belt didn't work. I'm replacing the idler today. But I don't know what pulley it could be rubbing on if any.

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
Well i don't know what pulley could be out of alignment. All I know is I've replaced the tensioner and that didn't work. Replacing the belt didn't work. I'm replacing the idler today. But I don't know what pulley it could be rubbing on if any.

I edited my post above

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
Any specific way I could check the bearings on all those?

Spin them and make sure that they don't feel rough, spin free and don't have a grinding noise. Grab them and move them up and down, left and right to make sure they don't wobble, they should be tight with no play.

OP
OP
CoreyLRam96

CoreyLRam96

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Spin them and make sure that they don't feel rough, spin free and don't have a grinding noise. Grab them and move them up and down, left and right to make sure they don't wobble, they should be tight with no play.

So they shouldn't be able to be moved at all, only spun?

OP
OP
CoreyLRam96

CoreyLRam96

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yup, like I said earlier, not spin like a free skateboard wheel.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Hm they spin freely when I spin them but it isn't tight