Help with Tweeter install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mlochner51

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have an 06 Ram 1500 with the 4 speaker system. I've done numerous subwoofer installs but never messed with adding tweeters. I'd like to add the tweeters to the location of the Factory 7 speaker set up. Would I be able to tie directly into my new headunit or do I need to install a crossover and aftermarket amp for the tweeters? i still want mid's and the little bit of High's that i do get from the door speakers to remain. Just add to the highs with the tweeters. I have read that the tweeters need a crossover to protect them but most of the info has also been if i was looking to split the tweeter from a woofer, not a 3 way.

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
No amp needed. The tweeters should have a crossover included (well most of the good ones do). Use the crossover and get the signal from the kickpanels from the front speakers. Use some wire taps like these on this page: Search: wire tap | Electrical Wire Connector | AutoZone.com

to tap into the speaker wires. To figure out which are the speaker wires that might be a bit problematic, depending on if you have any power options going into the doors. Not power options and the speaker wires should be the only ones going into the doors.

For the driver side the wires to look for are green with a blue stripe and green with a yellow stripe. To be sure you have the correct wires test with an OLD speaker. The green and blue one should be the positive and the other the negative. Not sure the colors on the passenger side though. Once you have put the tap in place then make a wire about 2 feet or so long with the correct terminals on each end. Connect to the taps and the crossover. Mount the crossover from the tweeter kit somewhere safe. Now run a second set of wires from the crossover to where the tweeter will be mounted if the tweeter does not come with preinstalled wires. Make sure that you connect the wires going to the tweeters to the correct terminals on the crossover.
That should take care of the wiring. As far as mounting the tweeters you may have to experiment a bit to find a suitable way to do it.

OP
OP
M

mlochner51

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
thanks for the help. I haven't noticed if any of the tweeters ive been looking at come with a crossover but ill check for that. Help is much appreciated.