Hemi fuel consumption.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
H

HamiltonGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Diesel
Decided to put my 14 Sport on cruise at 57 mph yesterday on a flat highway for about two miles, EVIC was constantly reading 24-27 mpg during that time. As before 3:21 gears.

Ok. This is compelling. Most weekends that's my driving pattern. What you're explaining supports the salesman's advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ok. This is compelling. Most weekends that's my driving pattern. What you're explaining supports the salesman's advice.

Set my 2012 today on 60 and the evic showed 23-24 mpg, but my evic is always off by 1 - 1 1/2 mpg which is one reason I hand calculate mpg.

And I got the 6 spd w/3.92 gears

also found out drafting a big rig is noticeable on the evic as well.........................

16'EcoD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Fuelly.com and search by vehicle and engine. Buy a vehicle that meets your requirements on averages across the board. Not a "magical unicorn" in the bunch. You'll be far less disappointed.

laffs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
11 L/100km? What you are explaining must be what the salesman was alluding to.

That was all highway, under to at 120km/h the entire trip.

And yes, when you know the approximate L/KM usage on each truck under the conditions you intend to use it in, you can do the math to see what makes sense, prepare for me to go full accountant.

So if what I'm reading here is correct the observed highway L/KM usage in the EcoD is around 9. And for arguments sake lets call my 11L/100km in the Hemi 12 to average it with some of the standard ratings in this thread. So using the statcan average cost of regular gas in Toronto for August (1.011) and diesel (.915) we can get our cost per L on both trucks. Hemi is around $.12per km and the EcoD is $.08. So if you drive the provincial average of 20,000KM a year you would spend $2,426 fuelling the Hemi and $1,647 in diesel for the EcoD.

Since the EcoD is a $4,700 option over the Hemi on Big Horn to Laramie it would then take you 6 years of driving or 120,000KMs before you started to observe a cost savings over your initial cost. This doesn't factor in additional costs like DEF or Oil Changes (I believe EcoD is more correct me if wrong). If the truck is a mixed use DD, then the numbers do get a little closer since the difference in city is another hat tip to the EcoD, same if you drive 40,000+ km a year it starts to pay off sooner.

Fuel prices change wildly but even when they were much higher than diesel my calculations never really had the EcoD coming ahead in savings until at least 100,000KM of driving, and then you have to compare out of warranty maintenance which is a big unknown. For me and my 10,000kms a year the Hemi made more financial sense. I'd have to either double my usage or keep the truck for 12+ years to see any potential return.

Sorry for the prolonged boring post.

OP
OP
H

HamiltonGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Diesel
Thank you. This explanation is sort of what I was looking for. Very helpful.

laffs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
No problem, happy to try and help. Not trying to bag on the Ecodiesel at all, it's a very cool motor and it's been delivering the fuel economy it touts. But at $6700 in the Outdoorsman, $4700 in Big Horn to Laramie Longhorn and $4000 on Laramie Limited, I would have to do wayyyyyy more driving than I do to make it even start to make sense.

If you take the biggest groups of rams from that fuelly site, you see most EcoD averaging 12L/100 KM mixed, and Hemis (unknown if 8spd or 6spd) at 16L/100km (matches what I observed). At fuel prices I listed above thats still 5 years/100,000km before a savings.

OUMX117

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My hemi fuel consumption can be seen in my signature. My lifetime average over the almost 18k miles I've owned the truck is 12.8 mpg. I have a hard time believing these 20mpg + claims in a 5.7 hemi. I have been averaging about 15mpg lately though. I had a trip a month ago towing 9k lbs that averaged 7.7mpg which brought my lifetime average down significantly. If I would have known this thing was going to average under 15mpg I would have kept my 3/4ton. I do like the way the truck drives though and it is very comfortable. Much more so than my previous ride.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My hemi fuel consumption can be seen in my signature. My lifetime average over the almost 18k miles I've owned the truck is 12.8 mpg. I have a hard time believing these 20mpg + claims in a 5.7 hemi. I have been averaging about 15mpg lately though. I had a trip a month ago towing 9k lbs that averaged 7.7mpg which brought my lifetime average down significantly. If I would have known this thing was going to average under 15mpg I would have kept my 3/4ton. I do like the way the truck drives though and it is very comfortable. Much more so than my previous ride.

C'mon down then...I'll gladly prove it to ya.

Don't know what the lifetime avg is, I go by the avg for each trip, or between fill-ups...however you want to call it.

Ricw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The wide variance on truck mileage is because everyone uses them so much differently. I've always been able to get 20 hwy with just the kids and a little gear. Hook up to my horse trailer, a 7000 lb load of hay or my enclosed snowmobile trailer and is 10 to 12.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

develand

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
My new ram is getting 16 mpg with not even 700 miles on the clock. 90% is 70-75mph highway to work. Hoping it goes up some.

Do the gears make a huge difference? I have the 3.92

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Currently I am at 11.8 I'm typically at 14.1... All I have done to it is add a short ram and switch from Mobil 1 syn to Castrol syn.

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I take it you're from Hamilton?

I went from Peterborough to Toronto (island airport in the city) and back. 110 kmh down, 20 mins of stop and go, then Toronto city driving. On the way back I didn't hit traffic, but kept cruise on at 115 kmh. My hand calculated average was 9.1 L/100 kms, truck read 9.2. That's my 2016 Limited Ecodiesel.

Based on your driving, I've got no idea why a salesman would think the hemi was better if you're concerned with mileage. When I brought my 2014 Longhorn hemi home from the dealer I was around 12 L/100 kms doing 120.

Doing 100 kmh, you'll be mid 8's with an ecodiesel and 3.55 gears. Also diesel is cheaper than gas where we live, so that's something to consider.

My overall fuellyaverage, including towing, commute, and city driving for the time I've has my truck is below 10 L/100 kms. I've got 10,000 kms on now.

Very impressive, I have to look into this. i've already done 50,000kms in little over a year and that engine could save me a few bucks for sure

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Another Ontario Ram here. 2016 Sport 1500 4X4.

Just completed a trip from Windsor to Collingwood and back. My EVIC telling me I got 11L/100KM round trip, 95% highway with a couple beer runs in to town and back plus a run to the golf course.

My daily drive is all city stop and go and get 15-16L/100km.

Ecodiesels are going to be better econ 100% of them time I have seen. That said if an eco is getting 9L/100 km and you can pull 11 from the Hemi, you have to do the math based on how much driving you do/cost of fuel vs. the premium to opt for the Diesel option. For me it didnt work out to be material enough to matter and I preferred the Sport appearance and would have spent even more coin turning whatever eco model I bought in to a Sport.

that's as good as my Pentastar, i did a little better coming through Quebec where it was pretty level but New Brunswick was hilly and fuel economy suffered

OP
OP
H

HamiltonGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Diesel
that's as good as my Pentastar, i did a little better coming through Quebec where it was pretty level but New Brunswick was hilly and fuel economy suffered

I guess that's what the salesman was suggesting. If my driving is mostly hwy driving and I stay at 100 km/hr, then the Hemi with cylinder deactivation is almost as good at the Pentastar, but if I ever need the extra power I would have it.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As you cant fool the distance to empty, as it is based on your previous 500 miles of driving. I have the 26 gallon gas tank, not the extended range, Hemi 8 Speed. Sitting on 33 Terra Grapplers and 2.8 inch level. Ill let the photo speak for itself. Hope that worked. So you do the math, 26 gallon gas tank 505 miles to empty. I cant and will not complain.

Attachments

• 20161006_120629(0).jpg
    20161006_120629(0).jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 36

StoneDude76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Anybody that is averaging over 20 mpg must be driving like a 90 year old lady. If I get the truck up to 65 mph and get it in 8th gear then reset my evic maybe avg 30 mpg. That's not real life. Consider passing, getting on the highway and any stop and go you may face. Hemi is a pig once you start pushing the skinny pedal. It's a high revving motor.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Anybody that is averaging over 20 mpg must be driving like a 90 year old lady. If I get the truck up to 65 mph and get it in 8th gear then reset my evic maybe avg 30 mpg. That's not real life. Consider passing, getting on the highway and any stop and go you may face. Hemi is a pig once you start pushing the skinny pedal. It's a high revving motor.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

If doing the speed limit and not flooring it when I want to move or want to pass someone is driving like an old lady, I guess I do. Guilty as charged

But if ya do a little thinking ahead, and don't try to race everyone, it isn't that hard. Especially f you have the 8 spd trans.

My averages are based on hand calculating over a 32 gal tank during a trip to florida...not just what you see once at speed and you reset the evic like you said. Shoot, I can hit over 80 mpg that way if I try.

Last edited:

Mbrp.Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi. Mbrp catback, k&n cai
I average 13 city, I'm also in a 5 speed atm.