Hemi or Cummins?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Ok, my truck has 3.73 gears. I pull from Missouri to Alabama, Florida, Louisiana. We stay on 55 as long as possible and will be on 65 for a little, south of Birmingham.
I have stock wheels and tires, but I've been thinking about going with a little bigger tire.

No way I would go bigger wheels then stock with that gearing and a 5.7. Bigger tires will only make towing that weight worse.

Assuming you have a 4x4 crew cab? your Max towing capacity is just a hair over 11k. Load that 10k trailer up with gear and you'll be at your max if not over. It will pull it but won't be happy about it. Luckily you are in relatively flat terrain.

Don_T

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you are happy with the truck, keep it. I would NOT add a tuner or any hardware to increase HP as that would only add more load to the transmission. If you do anything, look into a gear change. That will help with handeling the camper weight both up and down hill and may lessen the load on the transmission a bit. It won’t work nearly as well as the diesel with the torque and the exhaust brake, but it wil be OK.

I have had several of both gas and diesel powered trucks My current is gas but if I don’t replace my camper with a much lighter one my next truck will be diesel.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
As said many times in this thread...gears gears gears!

If your staying stock tire size, I'd go to 4.56s, if going to a larger tire size and a lift kit, I'd go 4.88 or 5.13s.

Gears are the biggest bang for the buck when it comes to pulling. The closer you keep the engine to stock, typically the more reliable it'll be. Just my .02.

Happy New year's guys!

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Ok, my truck has 3.73 gears. I pull from Missouri to Alabama, Florida, Louisiana. We stay on 55 as long as possible and will be on 65 for a little, south of Birmingham.
I have stock wheels and tires, but I've been thinking about going with a little bigger tire.

The hills between Missouri, Tennessee, and Alabama might not let you do 55 mph depending on the route you take. At the very least I would recommend a re-gear as others stated. I would do a test run pulling that trailer up a few hills around you to see how it goes before you go on a long trip.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
If I bought this truck with either gas engine option to tow 10,000+ pounds all the time I would keep the stock tire size and get the 488‘s and just drive a bit slower.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juanita Kelley