hesitant

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

natehate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
21 ram 1500 short/reg 2wd

when i don't let it warm up and just drive away after its been siting for a while (say over night)
sometimes shes hesitant and feels like she doesn't want to start going
its been doing this intermittently since new
any thoughts?

caulk04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Dial shifter (8spd) or column shifter (6spd)?

Common issue with the 6spd 65RFE trans is drain back when sitting, causes delayed initial engagement. Let the truck idle in neutral a few seconds, it won't hurt anything. The solution is new filters, I prefer only OEM.

A_mod_too_far

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Common issue with the 6spd 65RFE trans is drain back when sitting, causes delayed initial engagement. Let the truck idle in neutral a few seconds, it won't hurt anything. The solution is new filters, I prefer only OEM.

Omg thank you, I've been having this with my 6speed and had no idea why, it only happens on cold start after sitting, my trans fluid was low so I topped it off but it still.does it sometimes

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The dealer should be able to figure it out. Some things which come to mind are: flaky temp sensor, carbon'd up throttle plate, ...not sure after that. ...but let us know what the dealer comes up with...Thanks!

OP
OP
natehate

natehate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
spoke with a buddy who works at a dealership, he was telling me one of his service guys has the same thing going on. they aren't sure of the cause but chrysler is aware and trying to figure it out.
i took it back right away to have it looked at and it didnt do it while they had it of course

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
You mean this happens like once then it's fine? How many miles on truck? Have you tried to see if it does this in park? I'd try going to 3k rpm's in park when you start it for a week, see if it is engine related or trans.

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You might want to go to the dealer because if you mess with anything electric they will hang you and shoot you, No they can void your electrical warranty on the truck. let them fix it for free. That if it is not the trans like someone said, even that is covered.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
What kind of fuel ? Top tier ?

OP
OP
natehate

natehate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
mid grade fuel
50k km. its been doing it since brand new
and i'm not doing anything electronic to it

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

You know, we used to warm up our cars when we first started them after overnight. The manufacturers have since told us it is no longer necessary, and that has played straight into the hands of the "right now" public, who think they are in such a hurry as to lose track of right here, right now.

I fuss at my wife by saying to at least let the oil get up to the rocker arms. I do when I start the car.

Inasmuch as I'm suspicious of hidden agendas, I wonder if manufacturers really hide from us that the engines WILL wear out at a faster pace if one just starts the car and shoves it into gear before the oil has made it past the filter.
Just thoughts. In the meantime, I'll continue to warm my car up til the temp needle begins to move slightly.

OP
OP
natehate

natehate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
the other thing i might add to this, it seems to only happen when i back out of my drive way then put it into drive.
my driveway is fairly long id guess 250 feet ish without getting out a measuring tape

OP
OP
natehate

natehate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
dropped it off last night at the dealership
it didnt do it for them this morning
so annoying

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
You know, we used to warm up our cars when we first started them after overnight. The manufacturers have since told us it is no longer necessary, and that has played straight into the hands of the "right now" public, who think they are in such a hurry as to lose track of right here, right now.

I fuss at my wife by saying to at least let the oil get up to the rocker arms. I do when I start the car.

Inasmuch as I'm suspicious of hidden agendas, I wonder if manufacturers really hide from us that the engines WILL wear out at a faster pace if one just starts the car and shoves it into gear before the oil has made it past the filter.
Just thoughts. In the meantime, I'll continue to warm my car up til the temp needle begins to move slightly.
I use auto start, gives me about 45 seconds to get in truck, put seat belt on put into gear. I would think the 5-20 oil is circulating at that point . Thoughts?

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I use auto start, gives me about 45 seconds to get in truck, put seat belt on put into gear. I would think the 5-20 oil is circulating at that point . Thoughts?
Everyone wants to peel an onion and apply to day to day reality. Sure, there have been strides of progress made in motor oil technology in the past 70 years.

My take on it is slightly jaded. I went to a premium school to be taught by the very best of the best at San Jacinto College in Deer Park, Texas. This campus houses training facilities for some impressive leaders in the automotive world.
My own experience was the GM training facility. There, we were taught from the base level of electron/ molecule (I'm exaggerating! ;) to the level of mastering the subject. This insured a thorough knowledge of automotive diagnostic skill and repair acumen.

Some seemingly complex issues were boiled down to very simple levels of science and engineering insights. Many old notions were dispelled.

Over the years, I've discovered that few, if any subjects evoke stronger emotional responses than motor oil type, use, etc. This subject is like the social subjects which really don't have solutions, but do spark heated debates.

I routinely start my car and give the oil "a chance" to reach all points distant in the engine before loading it. Is that necessary? According to the Gurus of GM school, no. My thoughts on the matter is "will my habit harm anything"?
Even these "Gurus" admit that, no, it doesn't.

One of the engineers said that the API rating shown on the container of oil was probably the most important bit of data. Hmm, I don't know. Said engineer also explained the use of a synthetic polymer which allows for multiple weights in oil based upon temperature. He went on and explained that oil in and of itself never breaks down, but becomes ineffective as contaminants slowly build up as the oil ages with use and additives degrade.

An interesting factoid was how the use 10W40 oil used in the diesel engines of yore (Oldsmobile conversions specifically) was causing the piston rings to fill with carbon, and ruin the engine. I was replacing those engines under campaign/ recall/ warranty back then. GM issued a bulletin and began to discourage use of that specific weight combination of oil across the board. Who knew?

As 4 decades since have come and gone, we are currently faced with many more ridiculous lubrication issues in several brands. GM and RAM cam/lifter issues, KIA/ Hyundai sludge issues just to name a few.

Maybe my old school habit of warming up my engine IS unnecessary, but I'd rather err on the side of caution.

OP
OP
natehate

natehate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
just to be clear and maybe clarify some things
this is NOT a engine oil issue
this is something going on in the trans
it feels like the torque converter is not engaging or sometimes not disengaging