Hesitation/Stumble Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Snoopy48

Snoopy48

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
When I test drove my truck it threw a CEL, and hesitated/stumbled under load. Being easy on it is was not as bad but if you floored it, it chugged sputtered and did not want to comply. I parked it, read the code which was misfire in #3. The fix was right about what you said, $3,600, they also found brokent manifold bolts, which they fixed too. This work would have been covered by drivetrain warranty, do you not have any warranty left on it? Luckily the dealership includes a 200k/7yr drivetrain warranty on any used vehicles sold with under 100k miles on it. I wish you the best of luck man.

Thanks man. I honestly have no clue what the warranty is. All I know is that it is a 2013 with 64K miles. My dealers service department is like a high school work shop. It is a very poor excuse. I have complained about this already and they said there is nothing wrong with it, naturally.

SportinaHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI!
Thanks man. I honestly have no clue what the warranty is. All I know is that it is a 2013 with 64K miles. My dealers service department is like a high school work shop. It is a very poor excuse. I have complained about this already and they said there is nothing wrong with it, naturally.

Yeah, call them and get your warranty information, go from there. 3rd party warranties, from my understanding, can be a ***** to deal with. If it is a manufacturers warranty, you could probably cherry pick the dealership you want to deal with. My situation was very interesting, as I was test driving it, and they really wanted to get me in a truck, the only truck I said I was willing to take other than this sport was a 2016 Rebel that they had underpriced around 27k and they were not willing to come off that price to get me in a truck. So I signed the papers and they put it in the shop. Took them about 2 days to get it fixed from when they actually started.

If you are F*cked on warranty, you need to see what commodity you have, time or money. If you daily it you are up ***** creek one way or another. A good dealership will get you a loaner, otherwise you may find yourself tearing down the front half of your truck to get to the camshaft to replace it.

The information I found when I looked around is that this can be remedied permanently by getting aftermarket bits, or getting the parts needed to be replaced from the 6.1L Hemi, but that I do believe also requires some re-programming of the computers to ensure proper operation.

If this is in fact the cam/lifter issue showing up early, it will eventually throw a code.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7

See if your still covered under the 5 year 100000 mile warranty.

OP
OP
Snoopy48

Snoopy48

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Yeah, call them and get your warranty information, go from there. 3rd party warranties, from my understanding, can be a ***** to deal with. If it is a manufacturers warranty, you could probably cherry pick the dealership you want to deal with. My situation was very interesting, as I was test driving it, and they really wanted to get me in a truck, the only truck I said I was willing to take other than this sport was a 2016 Rebel that they had underpriced around 27k and they were not willing to come off that price to get me in a truck. So I signed the papers and they put it in the shop. Took them about 2 days to get it fixed from when they actually started.

If you are F*cked on warranty, you need to see what commodity you have, time or money. If you daily it you are up ***** creek one way or another. A good dealership will get you a loaner, otherwise you may find yourself tearing down the front half of your truck to get to the camshaft to replace it.

The information I found when I looked around is that this can be remedied permanently by getting aftermarket bits, or getting the parts needed to be replaced from the 6.1L Hemi, but that I do believe also requires some re-programming of the computers to ensure proper operation.

If this is in fact the cam/lifter issue showing up early, it will eventually throw a code.

Good info. Thanks. I will call them and see what they say about my warranty if I can get someone on the phone who is older than 9 years old.

To be quite honest, I am just really tired and disgusted with this whole thing. The consumer should not have to be dealing with this kind of issue without help from Dodge. They should have issued a bulletin and have a process in place to settle these issues.

SportinaHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI!
Good info. Thanks. I will call them and see what they say about my warranty if I can get someone on the phone who is older than 9 years old.

To be quite honest, I am just really tired and disgusted with this whole thing. The consumer should not have to be dealing with this kind of issue without help from Dodge. They should have issued a bulletin and have a process in place to settle these issues.

It is a very bogus situation. I hate having to do the manual shift to 6 every time I stick it in drive, but if that is a major contributing factor to the cam/lifter death, I will do it as much as I can remember to just to put it off as long as possible. My 12' had 75k miles on it when I bought it, so to be honest if it takes any longer than that to do it, I will never see the issue again. I put 35k miles on my GMC in the 6yrs I owned it, and 4/5 of those years I had to drive to work, now I work from home. So I doubt I will roll the RAM over 100k within the next 3-4 years. Still, a very bogus deal that RAM has not just sucked it up and recalled it and give us all the real fix.

OP
OP
Snoopy48

Snoopy48

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
It is a very bogus situation. I hate having to do the manual shift to 6 every time I stick it in drive, but if that is a major contributing factor to the cam/lifter death, I will do it as much as I can remember to just to put it off as long as possible. My 12' had 75k miles on it when I bought it, so to be honest if it takes any longer than that to do it, I will never see the issue again. I put 35k miles on my GMC in the 6yrs I owned it, and 4/5 of those years I had to drive to work, now I work from home. So I doubt I will roll the RAM over 100k within the next 3-4 years. Still, a very bogus deal that RAM has not just sucked it up and recalled it and give us all the real fix.

I agree totally. I bought their product in good faith that all the major (non maintenance) components would be a little better quality than this. I drive the truck very easy and have never beat on any of my vehicles. I'm just tired of paying what these trucks cost only to handed a platter of this crap.

OP
OP
Snoopy48

Snoopy48

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
The other option is trade it in before it throws a code.

HAHAHA, BINGO! That's the answer I will more than likely purse that avenue. In fact, due to my financial situation, I may have to just let it go back.

SportinaHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI!
I has been covered under the drivetrain warranty. The other option is trade it in before it throws a code.

Pretty sure this is EXACTLY what happened with my RAM, 1 owner 75k Miles, here in NW AR so it was good to not have to worry about where it has been, looked over the carfax, had very regular maintenance and was incredibly well taken care of, so I took the chance and had the dealership deal with it. I confirmed with them it is covered under powertrain warranty so if you have that you should be good to go. But otherwise yeah you may just need to ditch it to a dealership and see what you can get on trade. Just DO NOT tell them jack **** about it, clear codes if it is throwing any at all. And then pray that the next guy gets a deal like I did and dealership fixes it before they take it home.

OP
OP
Snoopy48

Snoopy48

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Pretty sure this is EXACTLY what happened with my RAM, 1 owner 75k Miles, here in NW AR so it was good to not have to worry about where it has been, looked over the carfax, had very regular maintenance and was incredibly well taken care of, so I took the chance and had the dealership deal with it. I confirmed with them it is covered under powertrain warranty so if you have that you should be good to go. But otherwise yeah you may just need to ditch it to a dealership and see what you can get on trade. Just DO NOT tell them jack **** about it, clear codes if it is throwing any at all. And then pray that the next guy gets a deal like I did and dealership fixes it before they take it home.

Hahaha, I hear ya! They are all pretty much telling me same thing. I am between $4,000 & $5,000 upside down in this truck and want to hit me with a $600 a month payment. I have been telling them they should get off the **** & ****** because it will eventually cook their brains more than it already is. So, needless to say trading is not an option for me.

SportinaHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI!
Hahaha, I hear ya! They are all pretty much telling me same thing. I am between $4,000 & $5,000 upside down in this truck and want to hit me with a $600 a month payment. I have been telling them they should get off the **** & ****** because it will eventually cook their brains more than it already is. So, needless to say trading is not an option for me.

Damn man that really blows. Not sure what advice I could give at that point. At the end of the day it is going to come down to what you are willing to do. If you can be without the truck over a long weekend, perhaps it is worth reaching out to the local community/mechanics to see what sort of help they might be able to provide, never know until you ask. Maybe a discounted rate, or something. If I had the abilities to do camshaft/lifter repair and someone was in a ****** situation I would do what I could to help keep them on the road. You might even look into any local Technical Institutes, let them have your truck for a few days and the instructor can perhaps train the students on the repair and perhaps get you a heavily discounted rate. Worth calling about.

OP
OP
Snoopy48

Snoopy48

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Damn man that really blows. Not sure what advice I could give at that point. At the end of the day it is going to come down to what you are willing to do. If you can be without the truck over a long weekend, perhaps it is worth reaching out to the local community/mechanics to see what sort of help they might be able to provide, never know until you ask. Maybe a discounted rate, or something. If I had the abilities to do camshaft/lifter repair and someone was in a ****** situation I would do what I could to help keep them on the road. You might even look into any local Technical Institutes, let them have your truck for a few days and the instructor can perhaps train the students on the repair and perhaps get you a heavily discounted rate. Worth calling about.

I am going to waste my time, (ooopps, I mean try again with the dealer) to see what kind of crap they try and unload on me one more time. Then I'll have a better direction whether good or bad in what I need to do.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7

To find out if it is covered, all you need to do is check the in service date.

If I was dealing with this and couldn't fix or trade and it wasn't covered by warranty, I would dump the oil and put in redline 10/30 and mix it with some 10/40 redline. Might buy you some time while you save some dollars for the fix.

OP
OP
Snoopy48

Snoopy48

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
To find out if it is covered, all you need to do is check the in service date.

If I was dealing with this and couldn't fix or trade and it wasn't covered by warranty, I would dump the oil and put in redline 10/30 and mix it with some 10/40 redline. Might buy you some time while you save some dollars for the fix.

What will the redline oil do?

Has anyone ever tried Marvel Mystery Oil?

OP
OP
Snoopy48

Snoopy48

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Well, the truck is leaving. I am getting rid of it before it becomes a much worse headache than it is now. Thank you all for your input and ideas.