Hid and led flicker when opening doors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

moparman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
Anybody else have this issue? Just installed my new headlights with morimoto retros and whenever i unlock the doors the led tails and headlights flicker, same with opening the doors. Is there a fix that anybody has come up with? I have an 05 with the canbus garbage
Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
I will assume that you got the MOPAR specific harness from retro when you got the HID kit. If you did then it sounds like a short somewhere.

OP
OP
moparman

moparman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
I have the mopar harness as well. It did this previously with my old hid setup and it never bothered me and has always done it with the tail lights. Now with the money invested on the headlights i dont want them to burn out

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Most likely a short somewhere that is causing this. Or possibly when you grounded the system out the points you chose are not getting a good ground. Maybe Jeremy will chime in here for you he knows a lot more about this than I do.

OP
OP
moparman

moparman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
Its done it for 3 years now and its had no other symptoms of a short somewhere. All grounds were put to the body and the paint was cleaned where they are all mounted. The canbus system is so sensitive and without regular light bulbs there to absorb the flicker, the voltage spikes get shown through the headlights and tail lights now.

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not al body panels are grounded properly. I used frame ground points myself.

Ok rereading the original post you made gave me a possible clue. Do you have an aftermarket alarm system??? Or is it the stock system?? When you said it flickers when you unlock the doors made me think there is a direct possibility the alarm system is not grounded right. Or worst case is going out. Depends upon if it is stock or aftermarket.

OP
OP
moparman

moparman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
Theyre all grounded to the radiator support which is tied into the cab. I do have an aftermarket alarm system and my friend that installed it also thought the same thing. Its a viper 5901 and i sure as hell hope its not on its way out because it was not cheap. He thinks it may have something to do with the parking lights and the way he set it up. He hasnt been around to take a look at it and alarms and not my cup of tea

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok. Have your friend check out the alarm system. If it was not installed in a way the Can Bus system likes it is the most likely culprit. I had a Viper system myself, but it kept setting off the check engine light. Took 3 weeks to determine it was the problem and I had it removed. No problem since (it was in my daughters truck). Personally though I feel we do not need a separate security system seeing as our trucks a damn near impossible to steal due to the security key system.

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
The 02-05s (well, some) do a weird test each time the door is opened. With halogens, you don't see the lights come on, HIDs - they fire up for a sec..........as far as I know, no way to disable that.

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The 02-05s (well, some) do a weird test each time the door is opened. With halogens, you don't see the lights come on, HIDs - they fire up for a sec..........as far as I know, no way to disable that.

Ok who in the heck decided to have that feature??? Sounds like some engineer wants us to go nuts over this.

OP
OP
moparman

moparman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine

I had a feeling it was something along those lines. It drives me nuts but theres nothing i can do about it. When i had pieced together my previous hid setup out of spare crap i had collected at junk yards i could care less but now with almost $400 ******* in the retrofit, i dont want anything to die a premature death with this flickering

novalok

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know this is an old thread.. but wanted to assure anyone reading this.... It is def a feature of the 02+ body... i had an 03 dodge ram thunderroad edition and it did it with my hid's every freaking time you opened the door to get in Flash... Seriously!

brantner22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
I have a 2003 with a DDM Tuning HID kit and mine does it also. Doesn't seem to bother anything other then they flicker when I open the door or use my aftermarket keyless entry.

RamRod37

2014 Ram 2500 HD 5.7 Hemi
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I have a 2003 with a DDM Tuning HID kit and mine does it also. Doesn't seem to bother anything other then they flicker when I open the door or use my aftermarket keyless entry.

Its normal that hid's do this mine does it as well and this Thread is 3 months old

rlk340

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 03 does the same thing..Morimoto projectors, retro solutions hid kit with the dodge specific harness, viper 5901 alarm.. LED taillights & hids flash when I open the door or disarm/arm the alarm system..

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sabo