HID Retrofits: Non-Morimoto Ballasts Inside Stock Headlight Housing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AzRamLover

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
[xposted on the Z]

Has anyone had experience using ballasts other than the Morimoto XB35 or XB55?

Specifically, were you able to stuff them into the stock headlight and get the dustcap on? I want to avoid drilling a hole and using a grommet but will if I have to.

Here are the ballasts currently under consideration:

Denso Slim D2S: http://www.theretrofitsource.com/com...-ballasts.html

Matsu****a Gen V D2S: http://www.theretrofitsource.com/com...-ballasts.html

Mitsubishi Gen IV D2S: http://www.theretrofitsource.com/com...ast-48688.html (strongly preferred as they are Honda/Acura's choice and do not require potting)

Given the relatively large sizes of the Denso and Mitsubishi compared to the Morimoto, I'd guess there's no way to make them fit. The Matsu****a is a lot closer but still significantly thicker/bigger.

Your thoughts/experiences?

Pigeonman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Any particular reason for not going with Morimoto? It's a pretty tight squeeze in mine with the 35w Morimoto's and the canbus adapters.

OP
OP
A

AzRamLover

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good question. Couple of reasons to use non-Morimoto (for me):

1) The video reviews comparing Morimoto vs Denso/Matsu****a/Mitsubishi show a few second difference in warmup time and slight differences in output level, beam pattern, etc.

2) I want to use a solution that's as close to OEM as possible

Most people probably won't care about either of these things but I have OCD. :) I came from the car world and the HIDs on prior cars were absolutely perfect for 7+ years each. They used Mitsubishi and Matsu****a ballasts.

That said, it sounds like a dust cover hole is in the cards. Thanks for the feedback on your experience!

iam_canadian22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Good question. Couple of reasons to use non-Morimoto (for me):

1) The video reviews comparing Morimoto vs Denso/Matsu****a/Mitsubishi show a few second difference in warmup time and slight differences in output level, beam pattern, etc.

2) I want to use a solution that's as close to OEM as possible

Most people probably won't care about either of these things but I have OCD. :) I came from the car world and the HIDs on prior cars were absolutely perfect for 7+ years each. They used Mitsubishi and Matsu****a ballasts.

That said, it sounds like a dust cover hole is in the cards. Thanks for the feedback on your experience!

You can just run the wires out and pinch the wires with the dust caps, could file edges a bit, many have done it that way no issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
A

AzRamLover

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good idea - I'll check that out.

clgrandorf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 Sport 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I ran my wires out from under the dust cover and mounted the Morimoto ballasts to the fram behind the headlight enclosure. Make a little small 1/2in long x 1/8in deep slot under the dust cap and run the wires through there. Back fill the hole with a little sealer of some sort and you're golden!

vinstang67

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 Sport CC 6.4 bed
Engine
Any particular reason for not going with Morimoto? It's a pretty tight squeeze in mine with the 35w Morimoto's and the canbus adapters.

Tight squeeze indeed.
It took me a while to get everything fit in mine.

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
[xposted on the Z]

Has anyone had experience using ballasts other than the Morimoto XB35 or XB55?

Specifically, were you able to stuff them into the stock headlight and get the dustcap on? I want to avoid drilling a hole and using a grommet but will if I have to.

Here are the ballasts currently under consideration:

Denso Slim D2S: http://www.theretrofitsource.com/com...-ballasts.html

Matsu****a Gen V D2S: http://www.theretrofitsource.com/com...-ballasts.html

Mitsubishi Gen IV D2S: http://www.theretrofitsource.com/com...ast-48688.html (strongly preferred as they are Honda/Acura's choice and do not require potting)

Given the relatively large sizes of the Denso and Mitsubishi compared to the Morimoto, I'd guess there's no way to make them fit. The Matsu****a is a lot closer but still significantly thicker/bigger.

Your thoughts/experiences?

I run morimoto and DDM ballasts on my vehicles… I like the faster startup times of morimotos but for 1/4 the price the DDMs are a great buy. I know for a fact that the digital slim 35w DDM ballasts are much smaller than the morimotos (thinner mostly… I can take a pic too)… the issue is the external ignitor is the thickest part.

I didn't touch the headlights on my 14 with the projector sport headlights. I ran everything outside the headlight as if a ballast goes dead I can replace it without removing the headlight. just bend the wires over the dust cap sealing lip and install the cover… no biggie.

OP
OP
A

AzRamLover

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I run morimoto and DDM ballasts on my vehicles… I like the faster startup times of morimotos but for 1/4 the price the DDMs are a great buy. I know for a fact that the digital slim 35w DDM ballasts are much smaller than the morimotos (thinner mostly… I can take a pic too)… the issue is the external ignitor is the thickest part.

I didn't touch the headlights on my 14 with the projector sport headlights. I ran everything outside the headlight as if a ballast goes dead I can replace it without removing the headlight. just bend the wires over the dust cap sealing lip and install the cover… no biggie.

That is a *very* good point and a great case for keeping everything outside of the headlight housing. That also means I can run the Mitsubishi Gen IVs like I wanted. :)

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
all of those ballasts you listed....are bigger than the new XB ballasts from TRS / Morimoto...

Follow the advice above, just lay the wires over the lip and the dust cap seals it. I do it on ALL of the 13+ retros I send out.

Enlight

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
One of the members on here said he could fit our 9012 HID kit completely inside the housing in the OEM Projector lights. Didn't need to drill a hole.

sts_2dce24b9-575b-4a2d-8956-334578f65bb7_1024x1024.jpg

OP
OP
A

AzRamLover

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
all of those ballasts you listed....are bigger than the new XB ballasts from TRS / Morimoto...

Follow the advice above, just lay the wires over the lip and the dust cap seals it. I do it on ALL of the 13+ retros I send out.

Awesome - thanks!

TRXHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It is snug, but it will all fit.... it is definitely a pain in the ass though.