HID wiring information

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I finally got everything for my HID install and want to make sure I wore it up right the first time.

2017 1500
2013-2014 Tyco Projectors
Morimoto 15+ Mopar harness
Adapters for the headlights
Box also came with 9006 extensions. I reckon I can use these if needed to get the resistors to a safe mounting place.

So, I’ve read a post from one of the vendors with instructions, but I want to make sure I understand everything before I screw something up electrically with my truck.

So, on the harness, I know the ballasts go to the ballasts, that’s self explanatory, so is the battery and ground.

There is one that has a splitter with one end attaching to OEM input and the other attached to a pair of resistors. I believe this goes to the drivers side connector coming out of the gromet that is connected to the OEM bulb connector.

IMG_0641.JPG

That is the only OEM input wire on the harness. If I read the instructions right, the connector on the passenger side that comes off the OEM bulb connector just gets hooked to the resistors that are standalone?

IMG_0642.JPG

So no additional input or connections for the passenger side?

Anything else I need to know? I know the resistors need to be mounted to metal. I’ve got steel hose clamps and self tapping screws depending on what I find to mount to. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Wow that’s a lot of nonsense right there. I don’t understand why more people don’t get the DDM tuning kits. They’re under $90 shipped for the 55W kits and their stuff is all integrated and sealed up. No resistors or 40 different wiring harnesses to deal with. I put a set in my 15 KL Cherokee and just finished putting a set in my Power Wagon. They’re fool proof and come pre-grommeted for the dust covers too. Sorry to rain on your parade, but there are better options out there for our trucks than the Morimoto kit.

OP
OP
B

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Wow that’s a lot of nonsense right there. I don’t understand why more people don’t get the DDM tuning kits. They’re under $90 shipped for the 55W kits and their stuff is all integrated and sealed up. No resistors or 40 different wiring harnesses to deal with. I put a set in my 15 KL Cherokee and just finished putting a set in my Power Wagon. They’re fool proof and come pre-grommeted for the dust covers too. Sorry to rain on your parade, but there are better options out there for our trucks than the Morimoto kit.

While I can certainly appreciate a differing opinion, It has nothing to do with the question I asked. I opted for Morimoto because I’ve used their products in the past and have never had an issue with quality. DDM has been making garbage for many years. Glad you like it, but I’ll stick to quality components, especially when it comes to something that ties in to the electrical system.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
I opted for Morimoto because I’ve used their products in the past and have never had an issue with quality. DDM has been making garbage for many years.

I can understand your loyalty to Morimoto but I don't understand your reference to DDM as "garbage".

We have been using DDM products for a long time and NEVER had a quality (or any other) problem. What makes you say DDM is garbage?

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
lol whatever dude. I know I didn't answer your question, but I was trying to offer IMO a better alternative in case you don't get your kit with a thousand harnesses to work properly. I just yesterday installed my third DDM tuning kit where my previous 2 worked flawlessly in FCA vehicles. the DDM tuning kit has everything integrated into one harness with no extras or guessing what goes where, nothing goes to the battery, and everything is professionally loomed with braided wires and sealed with resin. it really looked and has operated like a top notch quality kit.

on the other hand, i also installed my morimoto LED fog lights. they have a moderate fitment at best, the "wire loom" is a piece of rubber tubing that slides up and down the wires on the harness, instead of an error canceller built into the harness it requires a splitter and old-school style resistors (identical to the ones you posted above) which are hot and inefficient, and the pins kept coming unseated from one of the plugs as i was trying to plug the harness in. having worked with both kits the same day, I can personally say that the quality of the DDM kit i installed was leaps and bounds over the morimoto kit in terms of quality.

G. Mcpherson

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Ram 2500 CC SB Tradesman
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Your on the right track. Make sure when grounding the capacitor you have Bare metal to attach the ground loop. You should be able to print off the instruction sheet which provides a line drawing for routing Harness and connections.

OP
OP
B

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Your on the right track. Make sure when grounding the capacitor you have Bare metal to attach the ground loop. You should be able to print off the instruction sheet which provides a line drawing for routing Harness and connections.

Thank you for actually answering the question. Very much appreciated.

To the others, I’m not going to get into a debate on a subject that has absolutely nothing to do with the thread I started. Enjoy your ddm tuning kits and best of luck. I already have the Morimoto setup in the garage, I’m not returning it to purchase an inferior product.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Got them in and working. Just need to aim them when it gets dark.

OP
OP
B

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Install was a bit different than what I did on my previous ‘13 F150 when I added the OEM projectors and HIDs, but it wasn’t as bad as it seemed when looking at the harness.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the same kit being delivered today, any tips after your install?...did you drill the cover and use the rubber grommet?

OP
OP
B

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have the same kit being delivered today, any tips after your install?...did you drill the cover and use the rubber grommet?

The connector on the harness for the bulbs won’t fit through the 7/8” hole. You will have to make some relief cuts across from each other.

I sealed the gromet to the cover with some black silicone.

Jrod

USAF 1997-2008
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Sport
Engine

Ditto, I had bad luck with Morimoto HID on my last Ram. I did however pick up their vertical LED fogs for my new Ram and I like them. I ordered a DDM 35w 5500k canbus system yesterday for my projectors. 3400 lumens as apposed to 5000 but I’m ok with the distance thrown by 3400.

I should have it by Monday. Looking forward to installing these!

Last edited:

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
got my Morimoto kit installed, worked fine first try no problems at all