Hidden features?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Works on my 2014 Bighorn

This is nice if you want to keep the engine running on hot/cold days, for a brief dash into a convenience mart, etc.

Stop and put the transmission in park.
Leave the engine running.
Open the drivers door, all the doors unlock.
Close the drivers door.
Press the door lock button on the drivers door and all the doors lock.
Open the drivers door, and only the drivers door unlocks.
Remove the (mechanical) key from the keyfob, while the engine continues to run.
Exit the truck, close the door and lock it with the key.

I think I'll just shut mine off and restart it with the remote. But that's good info if you don't have remote start.

Esgordon123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
You're correct. The sport and Laramie share options because they are in the same trim line. The big horn (I had) shares options in the SLT trim line so big horns don't have them.

Sent from my Note 3 using Tapatalk Pro!

My 12 express cc had them. I think it's a crew cab option. My 14 bighorn qc does not have the floor storage. Just under the seat. I do have the folding flat floor that gets used every day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awastatyme

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Laramie
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm not sure if some one has said this yet as 38 pages are a lot to go through. But on some of the 4th Gen rams with cruise control they should have a high idle setting.

With your vehicle running and in Park turn on cruise control then press and hold set for about 3 seconds and your vehicle should go into high idle.

I've also heard rumor that you may be able to increase or decrease it from 1000-1500rpm but I haven't verified.

Sent from my Galaxy S5... with correct text... using Tapatalk

I tried this in my '15 1500 CC Laramie and it does not work.

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Works on my 2014 Bighorn

This is nice if you want to keep the engine running on hot/cold days, for a brief dash into a convenience mart, etc.

Stop and put the transmission in park.
Leave the engine running.
Open the drivers door, all the doors unlock.
Close the drivers door.
Press the door lock button on the drivers door and all the doors lock.
Open the drivers door, and only the drivers door unlocks.
Remove the (mechanical) key from the keyfob, while the engine continues to run.
Exit the truck, close the door and lock it with the key.

you could save some steps by hitting the lock button after you open the door and simply closing it. you dont need to lock it with the key, just need the key to unlock it.

Mega-Hemi

US AIR FORCE '08-'18
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
you could save some steps by hitting the lock button after you open the door and simply closing it. you dont need to lock it with the key, just need the key to unlock it.

My truck will automatically unlock the doors if you hit the lock switch with the key in the ignition and drivers door open. Stops people from locking the keys in the vehicle. Did they change this on the 4th Gens?

MyOhFive

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
My truck will automatically unlock the doors if you hit the lock switch with the key in the ignition and drivers door open. Stops people from locking the keys in the vehicle. Did they change this on the 4th Gens?

I think its for guys with the passive entry. Ie: no key in the ignition anyway. So you can still get out with it. I did it all the time in the winter when I just had to "run in" somewhere.

Quint

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Big Horn 1500
Engine
5.7L v8 eTorque
I don't remember reading this, but in addition to the Engineering Mode you can get to by holding the heat up & down buttons, you can enter Dealer Mode by also holding the front defrost button, so three buttons at the same time: Heat Up, Heat Down, Front Defrost

There isn't much information in there for us but it's good to know one more hidden feature.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
u can go into the settings on the touch screen and disable the all door unlock function

Vinman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I plan on spraying the outside of the infloor storage bins with expanding foam insulation in order to better utilize them as coolers.

rduchateau2954

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No one mentioned tip start...on my 2013, I can just bump the key fob to the start position and let it go and the engine will crank and start like normal. I also imagine that you are not able to 'double start' the truck like you could with older vehicles! LOL! I don't want to try it and find out though...Haha!

I did the same thing for months! Then my Ford loving buddy pointed it out! I was so ashamed!

One thing I've discovered is not to get angry at the remote start and click the snot out of the button. Whole truck spazzes. Fobs don't work, after using the actual key to get in the truck eats any fob put in the ignition and the alarm goes off as soon as the door is opened.

To fix you have to disconnect battery, have second fob is hand, rehook battery, and hit panic button on second fob.

Last edited:

O.R.T.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
My latest "Discovery": http://www.ramforum.com/f38/tow_mirrors_duh_moment-68264/

O.R.T. said:
Had the truck almost 2 years now, just found out while blowing the passenger mirror clean of spiders that the smaller outer mirror moves if you actually put a little pressure on it.

Wish I'd known that this past week, would've prevented me from backing into something. I tried to move them when it was new, but because I felt resistance stopped out of fear of breaking them. All it took was having hosed the mirrors to break the spider webs loose (and apparently lube the mechanism) and accidentally bumping it with the air nozzle.

Now I have the main mirrors perfectly placed and can switch back and forth to the outer mirrors to use as usable tow-peek-mirrors.

I'd copy this to the Hidden Feature Thread but can't find it right now via "Search".

Andy578

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Dammit... Not on my radio.... Figures!

it works on the uconnect 5 too but not sure about any under that. i knew about it but rarely used it since it seemed to only work if you had it to set to record the entire time but the other day i changed the channel and it was like half way through a song i like so i decided to use it and for some reason it let me actually go back like 3 songs. haven't tried it since so not sure if it's working all the time but i know when i first got the truck it only worked as far back as the point i told it to record so i don't know exactly why it was letting me go so far back especially since i wasn't even listening to that channel the entire time

Pikeville904

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ignition Orange Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok, I've got a question.

I've read a lot of the posts, and I've got a question. I'm trying to find out if the Ram trucks have a feature that will lock the doors after you've left the truck.
My wife's vehicle will lock itself after a minute when you walk away for it.
Just curious if our Ram trucks do that?? I've looked thru the 'book' and don't find anything. But I've read many more 'facts' about the Ram that are not in the 'book' by reading the thread.
Just thought I'd ask.....anybody know??

Mr.Asmith9

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
Engine
6.4L V8 Hemi
Neither of the two I've owned have done that. Both push button start with all the bells and whistles.
2014 1500 longhorn Laramie
and
2015 2500 Laramie

Sent from my Galaxy S6 Active with horrible auto correct ... Using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Mad trapper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
On my 2015 Tradesman if I shut off the base radio I have no clock. In the little dash screen there is a setting to display the clock. I've clicked on it but it never shows the clock. I always keep it set on the digital speedo.
Am I doing something wrong.

crazy_luck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
On my 2015 Tradesman if I shut off the base radio I have no clock. In the little dash screen there is a setting to display the clock. I've clicked on it but it never shows the clock. I always keep it set on the digital speedo.
Am I doing something wrong.

From what I can see in my truck, the clock only shows up in the menu screen (at the very top, if you scroll down, it disappears) on the instrument cluster - if you are in the speedo or any of the other function screens, you will not see the clock.