Hmm...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jimmy68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L Magnum
I have a Chrysler remanufactured LA360, 30 over with factory 4BBL.
I have two 318 Magnums.
Thinking I swap the 318 heads, intake, etc onto the 360 and dropping it into my truck.
I know I need lifters and pushrods for oiling.
Few other odds and ends.

What do y'all think?

Maybe make my long tube Doug Thorley's fit also with some rework. :superhack:

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
That LA is not going to be friendly to change over to efi and that kegger will only work with magnum heads buy won't work for carb. Need different pushrods.

In my opinion you're better off selling the LA and buying a jy 360 magnum

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
the only person i know of that has magnum heads on an LA block is having issues with lobes on the cam being wiped out. i would agree with the others. not worth the time especially once you start adding up the costs. it would be cheaper to buy a junkyard engine than it would be to buy all the parts to put magnum heads on a LA engine.

OP
OP
Jimmy68

Jimmy68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L Magnum
That LA is not going to be friendly to change over to efi and that kegger will only work with magnum heads buy won't work for carb. Need different pushrods.

In my opinion you're better off selling the LA and buying a jy 360 magnum

I have the efi, the kegger, the heads.

I need pushrods.

So sell all three of my good used engines for $100 each because I know there good but they're used so they're essentially cores.
Buy a used engine from a "Junk yard" for lots of money because Auto Recycler's are not cheap around here.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jimmy68

Jimmy68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L Magnum
the only person i know of that has magnum heads on an LA block is having issues with lobes on the cam being wiped out. i would agree with the others. not worth the time especially once you start adding up the costs. it would be cheaper to buy a junkyard engine than it would be to buy all the parts to put magnum heads on a LA engine.

His roller lifters are wiping out his cam?

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
His roller lifters are wiping out his cam?
i don't think the conversion lifters have rollers. most LA engines never came with roller cams so if you decided to go that route it would most likely cost even more.

also a LA block will not bolt into a 2nd gen since they do not use the same motor mounts.

OP
OP
Jimmy68

Jimmy68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L Magnum
i don't think the conversion lifters have rollers. most LA engines never came with roller cams so if you decided to go that route it would most likely cost even more.

also a LA block will not bolt into a 2nd gen since they do not use the same motor mounts.

LA use flat lifters, true. Many people seem to use magnum heads. "online" :)

Right, different mounts. Forgot. Easy to remedy but not worth it.

More I think about it the less sense it makes.
So, it CAN be done. But why.

Sonbitch.

OP
OP
Jimmy68

Jimmy68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L Magnum

Wait... we stuck a Magnum 360 in dads 66 Coronet. Bolted right in with the stock right steel mount (the one bolted to the engine) and a stock left mount from a 69 Dart 360. Pulled the 318 Poly out and used the original 66 transmission. With an aftermarket weighted flex plate.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
Wait... we stuck a Magnum 360 in dads 66 Coronet. Bolted right in with the stock right steel mount (the one bolted to the engine) and a stock left mount from a 69 Dart 360. Pulled the 318 Poly out and used the original 66 transmission. With an aftermarket weighted flex plate.
that is because the magnum engines still have the LA engine mount ears on the block but even then you need 360LA block mount brackets our a lot of washers to use the 318LA mount brackets.

OP
OP
Jimmy68

Jimmy68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L Magnum
that is because the magnum engines still have the LA engine mount ears on the block but even then you need 360LA block mount brackets our a lot of washers to use the 318LA mount brackets.

Well the right side didn't change. Left side lined up perfect with the Dart mount.

We used Magnum 360 right and 69 Dart La 360 left. Stock rubber mounts and stock frame towers. No extra washers.
You can say they don't fit, but we have a Quick Fuel carbed 360 Magnum with M1 intake, electronic ignition and TTI stainless headers, Dyno to 375HP with 9.75-1 compression in the Coronet.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
there is no reason why it wouldn't fit. just dropping a LA block where a magnum block was factory is not a bolt in job. you would have to do some fabrication to get the job done. people have put 440's in 2nd gen ram but it is still not bolt in.
la engine block
s-l1000.jpg
magnum engine block. the 3 holes in a triangle shape is where the magnum motor mounts bolt which LA engines do not have the holes for but you can see the magnum engine has the ears for LA motor mounts to be used
DSC02767.jpg

OP
OP
Jimmy68

Jimmy68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L Magnum
there is no reason why it wouldn't fit. just dropping a LA block where a magnum block was factory is not a bolt in job. you would have to do some fabrication to get the job done. people have put 440's in 2nd gen ram but it is still not bolt in.
la engine block
s-l1000.jpg
magnum engine block. the 3 holes in a triangle shape is where the magnum motor mounts bolt which LA engines do not have the holes for but you can see the magnum engine has the ears for LA motor mounts to be used
DSC02767.jpg

Were both right.
Magnum is easy bolt in where LA was.
LA can go where a Magnum was with some modifications and easy fabrication.