Honking and Emergency Flashers came on when inflating the Tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

giganova

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l Hemi
Last night was the first time this season that the temperatures dipped below zero, so tire pressure was low on all tires (29 psi). I left the engine running, got out my tire inflator, connected it directly to the battery and started inflating the tires, when, after a few minutes, the truck repeatedly honked once and the emergency flashers came on.

I have no explanation for that. Did the battery level fall below a critical value and the truck wanted to tell me? Did I put too much air into the tires (40 psi) and the truck wanted to tell me? It's a '21 1500 Long Horn with 22,000 miles.

Thanks for any clues!

NETim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I suppose it's possible that a 12v tire inflator could be electrically noisy and feed noise back into the electrical system of your truck.

Since the truck went whack-o with the 12v compressor connected, the compressor would be my first suspicion.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Did you have your keys in your pocket? Probably hit one of the buttons or it was a warning the key had left the vehicle. Highley unlikely the compressor could have done anything to cause that

OP
OP
G

giganova

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l Hemi
on mine the horn honks when reaching the preset tire pressure setting in the ECM so you know when you're done. the first time I didnt know what it was either.
Yes, that's it, what a fantastic feature!

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7

IN the video, tells you to see if you have the system. FYI: Unless you have a higher trim level, you may NOT have that screen option in your truck. If you do not see it, check your Build Sheet. I have a lower trim Bighorn, and even though the screen does not show that selection, I have the system as per my Build sheet and it does work, though I think a DIGITAL TIRE GAUGE be your best friend.

FROM MY BUILD SHEET: Tire Fill Alert under standard equipment.

Tire Fill Alert
This feature notifies the user when the placard tire pressure
is attained while inflating or deflating the tire.
The customer may choose to disable or enable the Tire Fill
Alert feature through use of the customer settings in the
radio.

Last edited: