Horrible headlights….

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BamaGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm just curious here, but do you people live in the depths of hell or someplace? I have a 19 with factory headlight and fog lights and have zero issues with brightness. I see people complaining about the lights all the time but I just don't see it.. no pun.
Completely agree. I don't know if there are two separate lines in the factory for good and bad headlights but I have been driving for 45 years and my 2021 2500 Tradesman has the best headlights on any vehicle I have ever had. They brighten up the roadway and both ditches like it is daytime.

GrumpyOleMan

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It is my understanding, which is always subject to being incorrect, that there are at least three levels of "factory" headlights. Halogen, which are the subject of multiple comments of being sub-par, Non-Limited LED which apparently are very good and Limited LED which in my experience are outstanding. Not sure about the two different LED's but that is my understanding. My Limited lights are simply put, exceptional. And my last ride was a Lincoln with LED's that I thought were great.

kdoublep

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Lasfit lows and highs and auxito Yello fogs for Florida Panhandle fog.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It is my understanding, which is always subject to being incorrect, that there are at least three levels of "factory" headlights. Halogen, which are the subject of multiple comments of being sub-par, Non-Limited LED which apparently are very good and Limited LED which in my experience are outstanding. Not sure about the two different LED's but that is my understanding. My Limited lights are simply put, exceptional. And my last ride was a Lincoln with LED's that I thought were great.
Non-Limited trim LED's are reflector LED's, some ordered and High Trim have the Projector Led's where the projectors actually move in the housing depending upon steering wheel alignment/direction. I have a 2019 Dt Bighorn, early build, April 2018, which have reflector LED's. The later build Bighorns/Lonestars etc, FCA went back to Quad Halogens.

Also, FTR, I will never go back to Halogen anything. NE new ride I buy will have LED, especially being in Rural TX setting, way too many critters, and IMHO, the LED's R just that much better (remember I have Factory LED's).

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Maybe the headlights just need to be adjusted? The headlights on my 2500 seemed really poor right from the get-go. At the same time, on 2-lane roads people were flashing their lights at me at night. I did some inquiry and found that the lights were easy to adjust on my own. Voila! The problem was poor adjustment from the factory. 20 minutes with a screwdriver was all it took...
Yeah exactly like you said. Many vehicles not just Rams have poorly adjusted headlights. My 1500 has the quads which many people dislike. They really aren’t bad headlights and are well made, Ram just uses a poor choice of bulbs as the light source. Pacofortacos offered a good recommendation on better halogen replacements. I chose to go the LED route and decent LED bulbs properly aimed and clocked work well in quads without annoying other drivers. As you say it’s all in the adjustment. People change tire size, lift, level and lower vehicles without properly aiming the light housing to compensate for modifications. A long screwdriver or 7mm socket with a 6 inch extension on a 1/4 drive along with a measuring tape and two pieces of masking tape is all anyone needs to adjust their headlights in less than 30 minutes.

Justin33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm just curious here, but do you people live in the depths of hell or someplace? I have a 19 with factory headlight and fog lights and have zero issues with brightness. I see people complaining about the lights all the time but I just don't see it.. no pun.
You clearly don’t have quad headlights with halogen or you wouldn’t be looking silly with that comment. My led fogs give of more light with my four inch lift then my low and high beams do. It’s obvious you don’t have low trim headlights.

mpicc84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Those with the lasfit LED's, What do your DRL's look like? I really like the DRL feature, and have it turned to on, which appears to give a low-current output on the halogens that my truck came with. If I switch to LED bulb's until I can drop the bank on some morimoto's, the LED's will probably be at full brightness in the DRL mode no? I know LED's require an immense amount less current to power them.

Big Blue Hemi

Keep on keeping on
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500 Laramie
Engine
IF you have the standard quad lighting, you should have the H11 halogen bulb for your low beam.
You can do a simple upgrade by going to a halogen H9 bulb.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WqHHG_rnig

High beams should be 9005LL bulbs which you can upgrade to Philips 9011 high beams.

View attachment 521648

How To: Converting Halogen Bulbs 9005 to HIR 9011 (Halogen Infrared)

How to convert 9005 to 9011 Bulbs

View attachment 521649 www.youtube.com

These cheap and easy to do bulbs will be a vast improvement over the H11 and 9005 bulbs.
Simple enough but doesn’t anyone make an exact fit? Which of the many manufacturers makes a “better “ bulb?
I use an OPT7 in my Harley.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Simple enough but doesn’t anyone make an exact fit? Which of the many manufacturers makes a “better “ bulb?
I use an OPT7 in my Harley.
The factory bulbs are LL long life and often just going to a standard life bulb will help - Phillips, Sylvania, etc do make bulbs that they claim let you see farther.

I know the bulbs (H9) I rec. do work and work really well. I use them and actually bought a couple of spares (cheap on rockauto) and modded all of them at one time. So if one blows, it's a simple plug n play for the replacement.

I haven't tried the other H11 bulbs, so I can't really comment on them.

Going to a
Sylvania labels its SilverStar Ultra series as its brightest, most "down the road" light. In the case of the H11 bulbs, these bulbs provide 1345 lumens instead of the average 1250 lumens factory bulbs bring to the table.
AND
Checking your aiming might be a big improvement - my lamps were aimed low from the factory.

Gren71

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Zombie thread, sorry

Which lasfit bulb did yall go with for lows and highs? Id like to swap my oem halogens for something better.

I had sv4 lights from headlight revolution in my gladiator and LOVED them. Theyre just super expensive at the moment.

Attachments

• IMG_2690.png
    IMG_2690.png
    139.1 KB · Views: 1