How do they do offroad?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cthulhu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
I have to ask though.. if your setting the truck up for doing the trail seeking and light offroading.. why would you use your 20's? There's not enough rubber there... JIMHO of course.

arod412

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have to ask though.. if your setting the truck up for doing the trail seeking and light offroading.. why would you use your 20's? There's not enough rubber there... JIMHO of course.

Your right about the rubber part, but I think the aggressive tread is more important. He just got the truck so he doesn't want to spend money right away. I think you can pull off the 20" with more aggressive tires with light offroading for now. Shocks ** cough**cough** bilstein**cough** clears throat**....might be something to look at in the next year if he does it more.

Angel

"worrying about MPG in a truck is like looking at a Prius tow rating"

hotkarl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Semi-Hemi
"worrying about MPG in a truck is like looking at a Prius tow rating"

Ha ha! The quote of the year! Awesome.

pickupman66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Well I about stuck mine today in the interstate. major backup / shutdown. Hit the ditch which was a bit steep. Hit the other side with the bumper pretty good. Right at tow hook. Bottom very wet. Stuck in 2wd iimmediately. Put in 4high. Darn traction control. Went nowhere. Had to go to 4low and fortunately got out. Ended up with good soft mud covering tow hook and then 1 side of exhaust. Lesson... if u are gonna romp, turn off traction control after selecting 4high.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Your biggest improvements will be rubber and shocks. I liked the BFG ATs for their wear life, and bomb proof sidewall, and I used to tear up some nasty hunting trails. I also dumped the front and rear shocks and went with the Rancho 9000xls on all 4 corners because when you drop those right down they were amazing at keeping the wheels planted in the crappy stuff. The front Ranchos were "loaded" meaning the came with a new matched coil as well to complement. Rear- I added a leaf (this was my '10 F150 mind you) and had some skid plates shipped up that were compatible with stock height fittys of that gen. Tore up too many CV shafts so I ended up with RCV CVs that are bullet proof and handle the extreme angles that IFS will see offroad. Not cheap, but better in the long run. Relocate any wires and lines you can, or at least try to cover them with that plastic tube and extend your breathing tubes off your diffs so they don't have a habit of backhauling spray- your hot bearings in mud and water will do enough of that for you. Stock balljoints are trash- be prepared for them to pop fairly quickly :)

How serious you want to get?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

jbr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The truck itself does well, limitations are the tires. Suspension and the activation of the 4x4 system works great in my book.

For mud/rocks I would get a really good all terrain. The OEM tire is decent and as I mentioned has worked really well on the sand since I go to the beach a lot.

But as soon at these wear out im gonna get some Nitto Terra Grapplers in 305/55R20 :D :rockit:

Do you have a lift or level on your truck to handle off roading on the beach. Trying to decide in what direction to go with my truck for this summer.. Plan in taking my truck on the beach a lot. :)

Last edited:

Zeke

Reaction score
Ram Year
2006 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi
Another solid option for hunting and especially if you want to have an easier driving truck year round would be a good set of chains all around. Thats what everyone does up where we elk hunt in Colorado (3rd rifle season- so tons of snow) and thats going to get you more places than good tires when we're talking snow/mud inclines. Thats been our experience anyway.

JJP71584

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

I have to disagree, in my opinion I like having the bigger tires, more surface area touching the ground. I run 275/65/20 on the stock sport 20's with Toyo Open Country A/T 2's and I've yet to get stuck, or even come close really. I feel it's a very capable setup. Just another perspective on the matter...

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Smaller rims with bigger rubber let you air down more for serious crawling. Bigger rims are fine for casual off-roading.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JustinRam1500