How hard is it to replace a water pump?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1badassram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
i am trying to replace my water pump right now , im trying to take the clutch fan of and it is being a pain! how did you clamp down the pully?

OP
OP
Deviate

Deviate

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 4x2
Engine
Mine is a 4.7 so it may be a little different on the Hemi, but I clamped my vice grips on the top of the water pump pulley so that when I loosened the clutch fan the vice grips would catch on one of the "ridges" on the water pump and hold it still. I wasn't worried about marring the surface of the pulley or anything because it was the old one. Let me know if that doesn't help and I can snap a picture of that I mean.

mike5454

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 OHV 16V
If it still applies

I was just reading up on the powertrain warranty and the water pump is covered under it.

rph74

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Dodge Ram
Engine
4.7 liter 6-Speed Manual
Many thanks to Deviate for the vise grip trick! I tried using the pulley holder from Oreillys with 4 bolts put in the pulley, tried jamming a screwdriver through the bolt holes to no avail. The vise grip trick was perfect!

flysooner9

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 & 2000
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
how big of grips are we talking? I have the same issue currently. Really dont want to drop several hundred bucks to take it to a shop just because i cant get the fan clutch off.

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
"First it's pretty tires, then it's pretty guns...next thing you know, you're shavin' your beard and wearin' capri pants." - Si Robertson

Made my day... lol

Sorry for your troubles, but happy to hear you got to do some wrenchin'!

hotkarl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Semi-Hemi
I hate any coolant work. I don't know why really I just hate doing anything that involves coolant. To me the worst part of the job is draining all the coolant out, without spilling any of it.
No matter how big the pan I put underneath, even after emptying the system I always manage to leak some of it. Drives me nuts.

Other than that, it basically a straight forward nuts and bolts job. 2 hours tops. I recently had to replace my radiator and less than a month later the replacement failed and I had to do the job again! I replaced the water pump when I put the rebuilt motor in.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca