How important are torque specs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kdryan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When installing parts, how important is it to use proper torque specs? I've done calipers, pads, bearings, inner/outer tie rods, and the Pitman arm on my truck, but I don't own a torque wrench, so I either tightened them as tight as possible or where it seemed logical, just snug enough to hold the part firmly. Tomorrow I begin on the ball joints. Will I be ok or should I go through the trouble of getting a torque wrench and going back in and redoing everything?

Thanks!

OutLore

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As said - it's important. Sometimes the correct torque is required to ensure parts are seated together correctly, not enough torque might allow them to wear prematurely, and too much torque might stretch or break something.

You'll have people say that you need to spend $100s on a Snap-On or Mac Torque wrench, and if you have the resources then go for it - the lifetime warranty means you'll basically be buying the tool for the rest of your life.

Hunt around and you can find them made by the companies that make them for the truck tool suppliers - CDI, Precision Insturments are 2 that spring to mind.

Or you could get a cheaper one from Harbor Freight - it will probably be pretty accurate to start but will almost certainly lose accuracy over time (they all do) and may not be worth calibrating - cheaper just to buy a new one!

But definitely get one or borrow one if you can.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
^^^ This ^^^

Improper torque can break parts, or they can loosen and fail on you.

Consider that too much torque on a lugnut can warp a rotor pretty quickly. Too little torque and the wheel starts to wobble.

Get a torque wrench. They don't cost that much. Your potential risk of failure could cost a LOT more.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Completely agree that proper tq is important.

At the same time I'm not saying i haven't "simulated" tq before lol. For example when i replaced a tie rod a year or two ago...i tq'd the nut to tight af lol. I'm by no means justifying no tq wrench and and just making it tight, but if you're gonna do it, use good judgement. Lug nuts for example...proper tq, you don't wanna shear em...radiator mount bolt though, fahk it lol.

CC12RamLove

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just go to Harbor freight and get one the gets the range you need. I work in an industy where we are required to get them calibrated every year. After many calls to just about all of the manufactures of torque wrenches HF sells, i learned that they are all certified to click at the set value for 6 months to one year. If you are concerned, you can buy a new one every year and be covered for an annual purchase price. To maintain the quality of any brand or grade of torque wrench make sure you store it at its lowest value or just below so the internals are not worn out.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

mitchbowers

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996 2500 5-speed, soon to be leveled on 33's
Engine
5.9 Magnum
As said - it's important. Sometimes the correct torque is required to ensure parts are seated together correctly, not enough torque might allow them to wear prematurely, and too much torque might stretch or break something.

You'll have people say that you need to spend $100s on a Snap-On or Mac Torque wrench, and if you have the resources then go for it - the lifetime warranty means you'll basically be buying the tool for the rest of your life.

Hunt around and you can find them made by the companies that make them for the truck tool suppliers - CDI, Precision Insturments are 2 that spring to mind.

Or you could get a cheaper one from Harbor Freight - it will probably be pretty accurate to start but will almost certainly lose accuracy over time (they all do) and may not be worth calibrating - cheaper just to buy a new one!

But definitely get one or borrow one if you can.
Precision is what we use in our tire shop. Works great.
Just go to Harbor freight and get one the gets the range you need. I work in an industy where we are required to get them calibrated every year. After many calls to just about all of the manufactures of torque wrenches HF sells, i learned that they are all certified to click at the set value for 6 months to one year. If you are concerned, you can buy a new one every year and be covered for an annual purchase price. To maintain the quality of any brand or grade of torque wrench make sure you store it at its lowest value or just below so the internals are not worn out.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
Can't stress the maintenance enough. Keep them in their case and stored at the lowest setting always when not in use.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Ramunit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
0-25 ft lbs is a light grunt, 25-50 two louder grunts, 50-75 grunt followed by a fart. 75-100 long fart followed by a short burp.

BlackMagnum2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Torque wrenches aren't too hard to come by. If you get a cheap one, make sure if you're working on something left hand thread, that the torque wrench works both directions (if it's a click type).

As for how important they are.. well...
They're very important. But so is time.. lol. I'll get flamed from my friends on this. But I often use an impact or don't torque to spec on parts. You'll get the same from most shops as well. Some parts I do make sure to torque to spec however. The more important ones of course. But I'm not going to look up and set up and use my torque wrench on something like my diff cover bolts or the bolts to hold on my fender or something, I'm not going to bother. Something like the bolts that attach my hitch to the frame, I run down with an impact (for the record that's almost impossible otherwise..). But yeah like something like ring gear bolts or flywheel bolts and intake mani bolts and ****, I'd definitely suggest torquing to spec.

tommyboi87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
As far as the suspension parts, I looked up specs on every I replaced. Especially parts containing a ball joint, and bearings.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk