How long does everyone let their Hemi warm up in the morning?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
If you're concerned about a warm up period, install a block heater. Then you have the best of both worlds, a warm engine at start up and no need for prolonged idle times. In the carburetor days (or for diesels) they were immensely useful when it was really cold.
I start using my block heater when the temps drop below freezing so the engine warms up faster.. I have it on a smart timer and program it to turn on a couple hours before I have to leave. I'll remote start it walking out to the truck then go, within 2 miles the coolant will be over 160°F

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
For the first 1000 miles I actually cranked my truck in "clear flood" mode to build oil pressure since I heard all the stories about the cam and lifters in these. Then I'd start it an wait for coolant temp to hit 100*. Since 1k miles and doing an oil change and with pennzoil ultra platinum and liqui moly I fire it right up and let fast idle settle down before setting off.
That's not wise to do,cranking it in flood mode,you're much better off firing it up,it gets more oil pressure faster .The worst thing you can do to a cold motor is let it crank on the starter to build oil pressure.

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Crew Cab & 2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
About 30 seconds to settle in behind the wheel and pick the station to listen to.

GreenClassic

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn CC
Engine
5.7 Hemi
A couple seconds or so. I crank the engine, put on my seat belt, put it in gear and drive away. Not too worried about it, I've got a lifetime warranty.

I've never let any vehicle of mine warm up. I had a 1999 Jeep Cherokee that I sold with 142,000 miles on it, a 1998 Toyota Camry with 216,000 miles on it, and a 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 205,000 miles on it. No issues with the engine on any of them...

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Start it, let it idle until the rpm settles down to around 1k, put the trans in neutral to circulate some atf for a minute or so, drive conservatively until I see the temp gauge start to move.

I used to sit until the gauge moved, no more. Too dang cold and really if you sit long enough to get all the moving parts lubricated your good.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I start using my block heater when the temps drop below freezing so the engine warms up faster.. I have it on a smart timer and program it to turn on a couple hours before I have to leave. I'll remote start it walking out to the truck then go, within 2 miles the coolant will be over 160°F

I do the same but I also have a heated battery blanket. I put plug outlets in my bumper so cords are not hanging out of my hood and grill.

The heaters make a HUGE difference in starting and warmup when its coldZ

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Dfault

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I always do 10 minutes. Especially in 100+ Texas summer heat and when we get down to the 30’s. I hate both extremes but I loath cold

Spirit79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I live in the southland where it doesn’t get extremely cold very often. I hop in, start up, make sure there are no warnings on the dash and take off.

Walter Mc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Law enforcement Hemi engines in Chargers sit at idle for a long time with few issues. They prob have larger radiators.

michaelm_ski

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 liter
I live in Central Michigan and let my hemi warm up for about a minute and than slowly drive out of my subdivision and the truck is parked in the driveway as I do not have a garage and about two to three minutes my heat is great in the truck .

MMM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
When I'm leaving the house, I remote start the truck. That way when I get into the truck and buckle up, it has been running around a minute. If I start the truck when I'm in it, I try to wait at least 30 seconds, or until the idle of the truck settles.

DA Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have noticed my Ram takes awhile to warm up in the morning. Not an issue, just the way it is, and I normally wait a minute or two. It seems the colder its getting thats not long enough. I have read different things about not letting a Hemi idle to long but you have to let them warm up, along with all the different fluids throughout the truck.
Curious what everyone does on this.

I crank mine up back out of the driveway and go. It warms up on the road. I do not drive it hard for the first three or four miles, just take off easy and get up to the posted speed limit in no big hurry. It warms up fairly quick on the road with the engine under a load moving the truck down the highway. After three or four miles I don't baby it any longer and drive how I want too.

Fishhaggis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If it’s in the minus twenties, I let it idle for five to ten minutes. Minus thirties and forties, I do a full ten minute auto start cycle, and then hop in the truck during the next ten minute cycle. When I get to where I am going, and she has warmed up, before I leave I auto start and drive within that ten minute cycle. Minus fifties, it’s two full cycles and then crawl on those square tires to wherever you are going and then leave it running until you get back home. Battery blanket, oil heater and full synthetic oil. Down to minus thirties, I have the plug on a timer but colder than that, I leave it plugged in wherever I am. Burn most of my fuel in the driveway.

txvet33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
I have noticed my Ram takes awhile to warm up in the morning. Not an issue, just the way it is, and I normally wait a minute or two. It seems the colder its getting thats not long enough. I have read different things about not letting a Hemi idle to long but you have to let them warm up, along with all the different fluids throughout the truck.
Curious what everyone does on this.
I worked on military helicopters most of my life. We always let the engines warm up till operating temps where normal. We should do the same with "our" personal vehicles. IMO. Just saying for a friend. Now go ahead and late the hate begin......

patmanz28

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
100 buck i bought the plug in block heater. I have a timer and plug it in before cold days. maybe a min or 2 i just wait for the idle to hit below 1k then drive easy. I use the range selector to deactivate mds and she warms just fine.

UnsatFC

Active duty NAVY
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When I had mine in NJ when it was below freezing I would do 10 minutes. It sucked not having remote start so my next RAM will defiantly have that.

JS4024

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
On a summer day, no issue, cold winter days 20-30’s I always believed once it’s running, give it 30 seconds, no red lights and pressure is up, drive away. Now by drive away I don’t mean hammer it. Light on the gas pedal. Fridged temps single digits to - 0’s, give it a few minutes. Personally I like to see the temp gage start moving up. My new 2019 2500 high isles at around 1100 Rpm then after a minute or so it slowly lowers to around 750. Just don’t hammer on it and you are good to go....

jpaskell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wait until my tachometer reads 1000 RPMs or less before I move. It only takes a minute or so. When that dial is at 1 or less, off I go.