How low can I go on 4x4?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

_Ramfla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2011 Ram 1500 regular cab 4x4 and I want to lower it. Whats the lowest I can go? Only kit ive been able to find is 2/4 drop by maxtrac. I want a drop low enough so there is barely any gap between the wheel. My first truck so im gonna have a lot of questions.

audiophile

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I have a 2011 Ram 1500 regular cab 4x4 and I want to lower it. Whats the lowest I can go? Only kit ive been able to find is 2/4 drop by maxtrac. I want a drop low enough so there is barely any gap between the wheel. My first truck so im gonna have a lot of questions.
Don't take this the wrong way but out of curiosity, why would you want to lower a 4X4?

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you’re on Facebook “high performance rams” and “TunedRams” are good go to pages that have lots of lowered trucks. I think 4” is the lowest. Something to do with the lower control arms on the 4wd. You’d have to delete the 4wd and swap to the aftermarket lower control arms that are designed for the 2wd but then you’re out of luck on struts since the 2wd uses a different setup. Maybe @Wild one can help

OP
OP
R

_Ramfla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks man I appreciate it, yea I was wanting to go for a 5/7 drop but I did see I would have to get a lowering kit that comes with control arms, I havent looked too much into it cause im not planning on spending 1k I was looking to spend $5-600 for a decent drop.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Haha I knew this one was coming just not this quick. Im more into the lowered truck scene, performance trucks. In my opinion i think single cab trucks look ridiculous lifted. Love lifted trucks just not single cabs.
Life span of your CV axles starts to go to hell if you go much lower then 2".If you don't use it as a 4X4 you can remove the axles ,and go down as much as you want. I dropped my 4X4 using 2 inch 2 wheel drive drop spindles on the front

DSCN4040.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3418 (2).JPG
    IMG_3418 (2).JPG
    193.1 KB · Views: 30
  • DSCN5256 (2).JPG
    DSCN5256 (2).JPG
    107.6 KB · Views: 30

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Thanks man I appreciate it, yea I was wanting to go for a 5/7 drop but I did see I would have to get a lowering kit that comes with control arms, I havent looked too much into it cause im not planning on spending 1k I was looking to spend $5-600 for a decent drop.
Your CV's start to absorb power,and burn more gas when you go really low on a 4X4 as they run in a constant bind,and they don't last very long. If you don't use it as a 4X4,you can remove everything ahead of the transfer case with no issues,that includes front driveshaft / front diff and the CV axles,basically turn it into a 2 wheel drive with a transfer case,then the skys the limit on how low you want to go,and you can also run a big-n-little staggered tire set-up. I'm running 305/50/20 on the rear and 295/45/20's on the front on my 4X4

OP
OP
R

_Ramfla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah, definitely dont want to **** up those cv axles lol. Once it comes to repairing suspension **** gets expensive. Ill look more into it bro thank you. Thats a badass setup you got! Trying to do something similar. Ill see whats up lol

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Yeah, definitely dont want to **** up those cv axles lol. Once it comes to repairing suspension **** gets expensive. Ill look more into it bro thank you. Thats a badass setup you got! Trying to do something similar. Ill see whats up lol
Being in Vegas,do you really need it as a 4X4,lol

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Don't take this the wrong way but out of curiosity, why would you want to lower a 4X4?

My thoughts exactly. 4x4's are going for a pretty penny these days, and its a really good looking pickup. Maybe it makes more sense to sell it and get a 2wd ...perhaps move up a couple years newer. Pocket the extra $$ to for customization part/work. 2wd trucks are less desirable in certain parts (e.g. CO/WY, etc) ...and perhaps you'd find a 2wd cheaper up that way ..where 4x4's are way more desireable.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
My thoughts exactly. 4x4's are going for a pretty penny these days, and its a really good looking pickup. Maybe it makes more sense to sell it and get a 2wd ...perhaps move up a couple years newer. Pocket the extra $$ to for customization part/work. 2wd trucks are less desirable in certain parts (e.g. CO/WY, etc) ...and perhaps you'd find a 2wd cheaper up that way ..where 4x4's are way more desireable.
Everybody and their dog lifts a 4X4,why would you want to be like the dog,lol. It's his truck,if he wants to lower it,all the power to him.

Socalramfan

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Big Horn
Engine

Which ever way you go, just don’t go cheap…… you’ll regret it and it’ll cost lots more afterwards. Hold off and save up the extra. You’ll be glad you did :waytogo:

We’ve all been there.

OP
OP
R

_Ramfla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Being in Vegas,do you really need it as a 4X4,lol
Exactly bro lol.. it rains maybe 7 times out the year, I never go off-roading or anything. I bought it because It was the cheapest 5.7 Single cab ram I could find and it has autostick manual mode on it so its pretty fun to drive lmao.

OP
OP
R

_Ramfla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Which ever way you go, just don’t go cheap…… you’ll regret it and it’ll cost lots more afterwards. Hold off and save up the extra. You’ll be glad you did :waytogo:

We’ve all been there.
Appreciate it man, yea no doubt!

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Exactly bro lol.. it rains maybe 7 times out the year, I never go off-roading or anything. I bought it because It was the cheapest 5.7 Single cab ram I could find and it has autostick manual mode on it so its pretty fun to drive lmao.
You lose roughly 120 lbs removing the front driveshaft/front diff and axles,which is good for roughly 2/10's at the track,lol. 40lbs of that is axle rotating weight,which helps on milege,lol. You can easily re-install everything when you decide to sell or trade the truck,as it all just unbolts.The 2 wheel drives and 4X4's use the same front hub,so don't let anybody tell you,you can't remove the CV axles,take the big nut off the axle shaft and it just slides out of the hub,might take some persuasion with a big hammer though,lol

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Everybody and their dog lifts a 4X4,why would you want to be like the dog,lol. It's his truck,if he wants to lower it,all the power to him.

Sure. I was thinking out loud there's probably an opportunity to sell it move up a little and pocket some $$ to use as a build (on a better lowering platform). Maybe we're not allowed and post ideas, suggestions, thoughts here anymore w/o getting jumped on...

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Sure. I was thinking out loud there's probably an opportunity to sell it move up a little and pocket some $$ to use as a build (on a better lowering platform). Maybe we're not allowed and post ideas, suggestions, thoughts here anymore w/o getting jumped on...
Quit being so thin skinned.

Capt Derek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 HO Diesel
What's the point of a lowered 4x4?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
What's the point of a lowered 4x4?
Better milege / better handling /looks differant then all the lifted 4X4's / easier to get in and out of / and it's his truck,which he can lower if he wants. Read this thread better,he already gave his reason for wanting to lower "his" truck.What's the point of asking this question??

Capt Derek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 HO Diesel
Better milege / better handling /looks differant then all the lifted 4X4's / easier to get in and out of / and it's his truck,which he can lower if he wants. Read this thread better,he already gave his reason for wanting to lower "his" truck.What's the point of asking this question??
What's the point of answering this question for him, it's his truck, stay out of it, and you are wrong on better handling, thanks for being his mommy.