How much AC power?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

erikyoung1111

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
Hi,

I have a 2014 Dodge Ram 1500 which has an AC outlet. How much can I power through this and for how long?

SonofaMitch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
From the manual:

"POWER INVERTER — IF EQUIPPED
A 115 Volt (150 Watts Maximum) outlet is located on the center stack of the instrument panel, to the right of the radio. This outlet can power cellular phones, electronics and other low power devices requiring power up to 150 Watts. Certain high-end video games, such as Playstation3 and XBox360 will exceed this power limit, as will most power tools.

The power inverter is designed with built-in overload protection. If the power rating of 150 Watts is exceeded, the power inverter will automatically shut down. Once the electrical device has been removed from the outlet the inverter should automatically reset. To turn on the power outlet, simply plug in the device.

The outlet automatically turns off when the device is unplugged.

NOTE: Due to built-in overload protection, the power inverter will shut down if the power rating is exceeded."

BigAlH

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I haven't used mine yet.. but I'm thinking a laptop or portable DVD player is probably the "intended" use for it.

I'll have to see if it can charge my laptop battery as I drive. That'd be nice. :)

-al

JJP71584

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've used mine for a pump on an air mattress and cell phone charging...tried a sawzall...not so much, lol

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

freddyx844

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 on LPG
I haven't used mine yet.. but I'm thinking a laptop or portable DVD player is probably the "intended" use for it.

I'll have to see if it can charge my laptop battery as I drive. That'd be nice. :)

-al

It should be well within its capacity, another option is a dc/dc converter plugged into the auxiliary socket. Its more efficient than converting dc to ac using the inverter and then back to dc using the laptop power pack.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

pickupman66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Actually, the First poster is more correct. the OUTLET will provide 1.3 amps.

but ill bet you are correct in that the inverter draws about 10 amps of DC power for its inversion.

freddyx844

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 on LPG
A 150w inverter will draw 10.3 amps if your battery voltage is 12v, more likely to be around 14v and ouptut on the 110v socket at 1.3amp minus any losses in the conversion. As its only designed to run a laptop or a cooler its ok for most users.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Ramzaq

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 CC 4X4 3.55 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry, but I don't have a link on this upgrade, you could try a google search and see what pops up.

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've used it for Mac Book and cell phones. Works really well but not intended for heavy loads.

Daboink

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Stupid me. I went out to a remote site this weekend with an electric drill to hang some signs... I have three outlets; the center-stack as mentioned, the crew cab back seat and in the cargo box. All the same... I was hoping the cargo box would support a few more amps. I heard that the new all electric Ford will power a house off of the battery for up to 3 days. I guess a computer recharging station is what it was meant to be.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I have driven across country with a laptop plugged into the 115 outlet & it worked fine

It is the AMPs that pop the circuit

You can plug a electric drill with a low power draw & it will work fine
Then you can plug the same companies electric drill with just a little more initial power draw & it will pop the breaker

I found this video a year or two ago & i was impressed
You electricians will of course yawn