How much can I haul in my 2015 Ram 1500 short bed?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^^^ Ditto Above ^^^ Trailer. If U have TT controls, borrow/rent trailer 2 axle with electric controls. If U borrow single/dual axle no TT controls, get one with hydraulic hitch. (kind of hitch that most boat trailers have, not electric due to water, etc.)

FYI: Tractor Supply around here rents trailers for $20 a day, not sure if that is store wide or not. I think Home Depot does also, but since I have a stock trailer I use for weight/big stuff, I never pay attention,.

ADDED: Trailer info suggestion, but IMHO, way too much weight for vehicle only.

CAVEAT: URL for 2015 RAM's ref capacities:

OP
OP
M

maillemaker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Never will understand why people do not read the owners manuals/specs for their vehicles which are put there by the truck designers, instead they ask people who know less than they think they do
The first thing I did was look in the owner's manual.

It has zero information printed in it concerning cargo capacity, and instead directs you to a web site link.

I went to the link and it only provides information for 2021 and 2022 model years.

OP
OP
M

maillemaker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
GVWR sticker in door jamb is the place to look(Not the tire sticker).

I looked at that also, but it was difficult to determine how much of that was cargo and how much of that was the weight of the vehicle itself. As I said earlier, the truck is currently in the shop but when it comes out I'll post a picture of the sticker.

Anyway it's a moot point now because the 2200 pounds of lead exceeds the ~1700 pound capacity of the truck. So, a friend will be coming down with his truck and we will split the load.

Loudram

Just a sinner saved by grace
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That works too. Smart decision.

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The real question is: What are you going to do with all that lead?

OP
OP
M

maillemaker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I shoot competitively in the North-South Skirmish Association. We shoot firearms from the era of the American Civil War. I'm picking up 35 pigs of pure lead from Sanders Lead in Troy, Alabama for myself and folks in the region.

Truck is back from the body shop and I took pictures of the door stickers.

The one with the GAWR was not very helpful, but the tire sticker seems to indicate 1516 pounds. I think this is low as the information above for the 2015 Ram with 5.8L engine is like 1700 pounds.

Anyway it's 2200 pounds and we'll split it between 2 trucks so 1100 pounds each so we should be fine.

Steve

IMG_6663.JPG
IMG_6664.JPG

Loudram

Just a sinner saved by grace
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I shoot competitively in the North-South Skirmish Association. We shoot firearms from the era of the American Civil War. I'm picking up 35 pigs of pure lead from Sanders Lead in Troy, Alabama for myself and folks in the region.

Truck is back from the body shop and I took pictures of the door stickers.

The one with the GAWR was not very helpful, but the tire sticker seems to indicate 1516 pounds. I think this is low as the information above for the 2015 Ram with 5.8L engine is like 1700 pounds.

Anyway it's 2200 pounds and we'll split it between 2 trucks so 1100 pounds each so we should be fine.

Steve

View attachment 484825
View attachment 484826
The 1516 lbs is your payload. The charts are general. That sticker is specific for your truck with your options. If you want to get really technical you also need to deduct the weight of any add ons like step bars or tonneau cover. That payload is as the truck comes from the factory with all fluids full including gas.

OP
OP
M

maillemaker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you want to get really technical you also need to deduct the weight of any add ons like step bars or tonneau cover. That payload is as the truck comes from the factory with all fluids full including gas.
Good point, I had not considered those options that I added after the fact. Nor the Line-X coating in the truck bed.

And since I weigh right at 300 pounds, I'm probably right at the limit carrying 1100 pounds of cargo.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Good point, I had not considered those options that I added after the fact. Nor the Line-X coating in the truck bed.

And since I weigh right at 300 pounds, I'm probably right at the limit carrying 1100 pounds of cargo.

Likely, yes. And since you're only doing the one trip, if you take it easy you will likely be okay. I would advise to not be in a rush and make sure there's plenty of space in front of you. Going over your payload by a little won't break anything, and you probably won't be over your GAWR.

If this were going to be a routine thing, though, I would suggest investing in a trailer - it would definitely be better on your truck, with the added benefit of being able to do many other things with it.

For instance, I bought a 22' flatbed car hauler with the intent of using it to haul quads. I have also used it to pick up multiple snowmobiles, furniture, my son's play set (that I had to assemble too), and many, MANY other things. It has been one of the best investments I've made to date. Yes, I had to figure out a spot to store it that wasn't in the way, but otherwise I do not regret having it.

OP
OP
M

maillemaker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Likely, yes. And since you're only doing the one trip, if you take it easy you will likely be okay. I would advise to not be in a rush and make sure there's plenty of space in front of you. Going over your payload by a little won't break anything, and you probably won't be over your GAWR.

If this were going to be a routine thing, though, I would suggest investing in a trailer - it would definitely be better on your truck, with the added benefit of being able to do many other things with it.

For instance, I bought a 22' flatbed car hauler with the intent of using it to haul quads. I have also used it to pick up multiple snowmobiles, furniture, my son's play set (that I had to assemble too), and many, MANY other things. It has been one of the best investments I've made to date. Yes, I had to figure out a spot to store it that wasn't in the way, but otherwise I do not regret having it.
Usually, I just stop by on the way to a shoot and pick up a few pigs while in my RV. But they have stopped wanting to break up 35-pig bundles this time; I don't know why.

I don't have a place to store a trailer and wouldn't want to pay more monthly storage fees to park something else besides my RV. I'd just rent a trailer if I had to.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357