Towing Help! 2023 Ram 1500 5.7L V8 eTorque, 4x4, Crew Cab, short bed, 3.21

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FestiveAle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi eTorque
Hey guys, long time listener, first time caller :). I know this has been posted before and I'm sorry, I'm still confused. I have a new 2023 Ram 1500 Laramie, Crew Cab, 4x4, 5.7L v8 eTorque, short bed, and the 3.21 gear ratio. This is my first truck ever and have only driven RV's recreationally but hoping to get a travel trailer (likely an Airstream) in the next year. The RAM vin lookup tool (which sometimes seems to disappear off the site?) is showing:

1. Max Towing (according to Ram VIN lookup): 8,108lbs
  2. According to my sticker in the door, GVWR is 7,100lbs
  3. For s**ts, my payload is 1,620lbs
I know I need to look into weight distribution and adhere to the 80% rule, but other than the advice of 'should have got a 2500 or gone with 3.92' can anyone explain it to me like I'm 5 what I can comfortably and safely tow? I'm looking to get an Airstream (25ft or less) in the future but now feeling like I need to set my sites smaller/lighter. Would be a family of four with two dogs. I feel like a heal for falling for the RAM marketing on 12k towing* (when properly equipped) and for not doing my research further. I love my truck but now need to come to terms with what I can safely tow.

Any and all advice welcome.

Let the preaching commence, I know I deserve it.

Any help appreciated, and any resources you'd recommend.

TLDR, which one of these Airstreams could my 3.21 1500 v8 Hemi eTorque haul SAFELY with 4 people and 2 dogs: AIRMKT-2023-Towing-Guide-WEB.pdf (airstream.com)

Likeitfast55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Following, bought the same truck and it seems you are reading my mind. Answering a few questions before I buy a class 5 hitch.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
which one of these Airstreams could my 3.21 1500 v8 Hemi eTorque haul SAFELY with 4 people and 2 dogs
well according to some on this forum, none of them unless you have a 5500 CTD diesel.. D'oh!

Look at a trailer with a GVWR about 7K lbs, the further you go over that ballpark the more attention to numbers you'll have to pay attention to. To ensure people aren't mistaken a trailer GVWR isn't what it weighs but the max it should weigh.

Towing something safety comes down to the "nut" holding the wheel, if it's loose things come apart, if it's tightened correctly everything holds together.
Doesn't matter if you had a 2500, a bad set up and driving irresponsibly and the trailer will own you just the same

Likeitfast55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
No need for a Class V hitch on a 1500, you'll max out the truck with a Class IV.
True, but I am having a hard time finding a class 4 or 3 without the support a class 5 has. The 3 and 4 only have a few bolts holding it on.
I am having a hard time finding a better hitch for the 2023 that what is offered for a few hundred dollars.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
True, but I am having a hard time finding a class 4 or 3 without the support a class 5 has.
Then you probably should go buy a 2500 as they come standard with a Class V

Likeitfast55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Agreed, IV is plenty. Any suggestions on make/model? The IV's I see are just so small and fragile looking. No side mounts to the frame like the older class IV. Or they say will not fit a 2023 Laramie.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Any suggestions on make/model? The IV's I see are just so small and fragile looking. No side mounts to the frame like the older class IV.
Go down the the Vendor section:
Ask Benny to look up the OEM Class IV the truck gets built with from the factory.

Jane S

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey guys, long time listener, first time caller :). I know this has been posted before and I'm sorry, I'm still confused. I have a new 2023 Ram 1500 Laramie, Crew Cab, 4x4, 5.7L v8 eTorque, short bed, and the 3.21 gear ratio. This is my first truck ever and have only driven RV's recreationally but hoping to get a travel trailer (likely an Airstream) in the next year. The RAM vin lookup tool (which sometimes seems to disappear off the site?) is showing:

I know I need to look into weight distribution and adhere to the 80% rule, but other than the advice of 'should have got a 2500 or gone with 3.92' can anyone explain it to me like I'm 5 what I can comfortably and safely tow? I'm looking to get an Airstream (25ft or less) in the future but now feeling like I need to set my sites smaller/lighter. Would be a family of four with two dogs. I feel like a heal for falling for the RAM marketing on 12k towing* (when properly equipped) and for not doing my research further. I love my truck but now need to come to terms with what I can safely tow.

TLDR, which one of these Airstreams could my 3.21 1500 v8 Hemi eTorque haul SAFELY with 4 people and 2 dogs: AIRMKT-2023-Towing-Guide-WEB.pdf (airstream.com)
You bought the truck before you knew what TT you wanted.

"You put the truck before the TT."!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously dude ...

Cactusmonkey

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
We did the same thing, bought the truck and then bought the Airstream. Truck was a good idea but the Airstream not so much.

OP
OP
F

FestiveAle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi eTorque
Well luckily nothing else has been purchased, still at early stages of figuring out what kind of TT we want/can safely pull. Any friendly advice based on my setup greatly appreciated.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Talk to these people about what Class IV you need, and which WDH is best for your set-up.

Airstream is a very good TT manufacturer. They are, however, very expensive and really not worth the extra cost IMO. Look into Forest River, Coachmen (made by Forest River), Keystone (Thor Industries), and Dutchmen (also Thor Industries). Don't let yourself get overwhelmed. There are a lot of models to choose from just from those couple of manufacturers. Decide on whether you want one that is 4-season, or if you will only be using it in the summer, and whether you want 30A or 50A service (50A would be for a second A/C unit). There are a number of other factors you will need to decide on.

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Talk to these people about what Class IV you need, and which WDH is best for your set-up.

Airstream is a very good TT manufacturer. They are, however, very expensive and really not worth the extra cost IMO. Look into Forest River, Coachmen (made by Forest River), Keystone (Thor Industries), and Dutchmen (also Thor Industries). Don't let yourself get overwhelmed. There are a lot of models to choose from just from those couple of manufacturers. Decide on whether you want one that is 4-season, or if you will only be using it in the summer, and whether you want 30A or 50A service (50A would be for a second A/C unit). There are a number of other factors you will need to decide on.

Just a note. Airstream is also Thor, as well as Jayco.

Ratman6161

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi

So, do this:
1. Add up the weight of the 4 people
2. Add up the weight of the dogs
3. Assume a weightndistributingnhitch weighsn100# (mine weighs 106)
4. Add up the weight of everything you have in or on the truck that wasn't on it from the factory. Misc cargo, running boards and other Add ons etc.
5. Add all the weights of steps 1 - 4 or better yet just load all the people and stuff and drive on to a cat scale.

From there, if you didn't use a scale, subtract the total weight of 1-4 from you 1620 payload or if you did use a scale, subtract that weight from your 7100# GVWR. The result is the payload remaining for trailer tongue weight.

I know my wife and I and our stuff is 435. Assume 75 a piece for the kids and 50 each for dogs and 100mfor a hitch. I'll further assume nothing else in the truck and no add on accessories. That adds up to 785. 1620-785 = 835 available for the trailer. Assume a tongue weight of 13% of total loaded trailer weight. 835÷.13 = 6423# max trailer weight IF all my assumptions are true and IF you are willing to totally max out the truck ( bad idea). Finally, remember manufacturers advertised weightsnare dry weights and you always have more stuff than you think.

Smokeybear01

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
You bought the truck before you knew what TT you wanted.

"You put the truck before the TT."!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously dude ...
Most people own or buy the truck before the trailer. How else you going to get it home?

Kabitz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Many good info & suggestions here. Get the electric over hydraulic break system.
Most of the time a 1/2 ton towing anything is rarely ever a problem but stopping can be.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
Does your truck include the towing package? Mine did and I don't tow anymore.
With out knowing what trailer weight is we can't say much.

jimboschnitz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I kind of agree with Smokie, of course you're going to buy the truck before the TT but to determine
what truck you need depends on the load you want to pull. Given that the Ram 1500 you purchased
was designed for economy instead of towing you'll have to downsize your trailer expectations. No other
advice from me that would be without some sarcasm. Good Luck.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
There are plenty of small campers that you can pull, most of them around 25' or less. Many are called 'couple's campers' but some of them also have bunks if you've got kids you're taking with you.

Be warned - even with a slide they're not that roomy, you should expect to spend quite a bit of time outside.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat