How much off msrp?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jstacey8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
How much are you guys paying for your crew cab cummins? I've been toying around with the idea of getting one but want a good base line price before I g to the dealer. I was told around 12k off msrp but not sure if that is true or not. Any help would be great

mikegmi2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I got a quote for $39,500 out the door on a $49,000 MSRP Ram 1500, if that helps you out any. That would be about $13k below MSRP before taxes.

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Crew Cab & 2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
These constant "How much off MSRP" threads are useless in my opinion. There are so many variables in what a reasonable % off is for any given truck you are better off going to KBB.com or one of the many others. They take into account the area you live in and specific options on the truck. Based on that you will have great starting information to begin negotiation with the dealer.

On here you will get 100 different opinions and the arguments and reasoning of why one person is more right then another.

Last edited:

bgray

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Also depends on how big the dealers volume bonus is. alot of dealers will throw in back end savings if their volume is big enough

Timeless

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
From what I've seen on here, 20% off MSRP is considered a good deal.

Is up to you how far you are willing to push it above or below that.

nationalminer84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Maybe it's time for a "prices paid/deal forum" for these threads. I know you guys post with good intentions but these are irrelevant posts. Everything is different every deal is different

Greeco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A lot of it depends on the market in your area. Everyone will tell you that anything less than 20% isn't a good deal but the dealerships in my area won't do that. So far 16% is the best I've been able to work out so I'll be headed to Dennis Dillon soon (quoted 22% off MSRP on a loaded Sport).

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
11 to 12k off should be right.

novelmike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A good deal in California might not be in Texas.
I say give Truecar.com Put the vehicle info in and they tell you what other people in your area have paid for it. I've heard nothing but good things about that site

flysooner9

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 & 2000
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
11 to 12k off should be right.

i asked for 11k off a 52,210 msrp laramie and the dealer laughed at me and told me to have a nice day pretty much.

Greeco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i asked for 11k off a 52,210 msrp laramie and the dealer laughed at me and told me to have a nice day pretty much.

Same experience here. I've been to several dealerships in my area asking for 11k off of 55k Sports and don't even get a counter offer from the salesman. As I'm walking out of the dealership I always assume they'll stop me to make a deal but nope.

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i have to agree it all depends on the dealer and the volume they move and how old the inventory is. most will discount 10-12k on average, but the more expensive they usually discount a little more

me for instance. my laramie stickered for 49.9k i paid 35.5k out the door.

05christj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
I have always thought your credit has a lot to do with this.

It's freaking expensive to have bad credit.

lukedukem

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have always thought your credit has a lot to do with this.

It's freaking expensive to have bad credit.

it shouldn't. you negotiate the price before even talking about financing.
then your credit kicks in and determines you interest rate and monthly payment

Luke

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
Like the guys have said, this is very different based on your area, the dealership you are working with, and the time of year as well. I got almost $13k off MSRP on my 2015 1500 sport, but I bought it on the last day of the year from a high volume dealer.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
MSRP is the only static # you have so I don't agree that it's useless. IMO, what is useless is all the other BS dealers talk about with volume discounts, invoice price, incentives, hold backs, blah, blah, blah. Give me the bottom line and don't tell me when I come in next week you won't still sell me the truck for that price.

Anyone ever notice every couple years there some new term we all start talking about regarding price? That's the dealers way of constantly moving the target. Dealers are in a tough spot these days with all the sharing of information (the internet). They are always trying to stay a step ahead.

To answer the OP, paying somewhere in the ballpark of 80% of the MSRP is good. Some can do better if it's an expiring model year or the dealer is really hungry. Sometimes you do worse. There is also some regional influence.

:favorites13:

noupf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport 6'4 Bed
Engine
5.7 Hemi
MSRP is the only static # you have so I don't agree that it's useless. IMO, what is useless is all the other BS dealers talk about with volume discounts, invoice price, incentives, hold backs, blah, blah, blah. Give me the bottom line and don't tell me when I come in next week you won't still sell me the truck for that price.

Anyone ever notice every couple years there some new term we all start talking about regarding price? That's the dealers way of constantly moving the target. Dealers are in a tough spot these days with all the sharing of information (the internet). They are always trying to stay a step ahead.

To answer the OP, paying somewhere in the ballpark of 80% of the MSRP is good. Some can do better if it's an expiring model year or the dealer is really hungry. Sometimes you do worse. There is also some regional influence.

:favorites13:

well said. I am one of those who pound the drum on 20% off sticker as the going rate for a good price. Some do a little better, some worse. Many factors involved as mentioned by others.

Dont let them mess with you. If you get a price that you feel is crappy, but you really want the truck, do not start believing what the salesman tells you about this and that and why he cant go any lower. If you do believe him, than he just did his job. He won, you lost.

Some of my favorite lines are " this is as low as we can go, we are just making enough to keep the lights on".......or " hey man, at this price we are actually losing money on the truck".

even if the truck is sold for a 25% discount, the dealer int losing money on the vehicle

Last edited:

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Some of my favorite lines are " this is as low as we can go, we are just making enough to keep the lights on".......or " hey man, at this price we are actually losing money on the truck".

i usually say yeah but see that guy over there he isnt pushing like me. he will make up for it.

on these truck 20% off is usually do-able. more usually on the higher price trucks.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Mike_Monroney.jpg

"Whatchu guys mean the window sticker is useless," 5 term congressman Mike Monroney.

OP
OP
J

jstacey8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Well my last trucks sticker price was 35'000 and after 4 hours of getting ready to leave and being stopped by a offer I ended up buying it for 28000 out the door so that's 9000 off sticker price. So I figured it was safe to assume 10-12000 off a 45'000 sticker price but wasn't sure if time had changed