How To: 13-14 premium cluster upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
If I buy a Canadian cluster based in KPH but swap it into my US MPH based truck will it default to MPH but have a higher speedo? I release the small numbers would be wrong but it would be nice to have a higher mph range. Anyone ever do this?

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
If I buy a Canadian cluster based in KPH but swap it into my US MPH based truck will it default to MPH but have a higher speedo? I release the small numbers would be wrong but it would be nice to have a higher mph range. Anyone ever do this?

The clusters are basically the same. Both clusters can be set to us or metric in the menu, (through the settings in the radio I believe). The only real difference is the actual gauge face, which has both MPH and KPH, in the case of the CA cluster the primary numbering on the speedo will be KPH and on US models it will be MPH. FYI tThe clusters have the option of displaying the speed digitally in the EVIC.

As far as a faster speedo? These trucks are locked down at like 112 MPH or something like that. And is that not fast enough for a rolling brick?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
The clusters are basically the same. Both clusters can be set to us or metric in the menu, (through the settings in the radio I believe). The only real difference is the actual gauge face, which has both MPH and KPH, in the case of the CA cluster the primary numbering on the speedo will be KPH and on US models it will be MPH. FYI tThe clusters have the option of displaying the speed digitally in the EVIC.

As far as a faster speedo? These trucks are locked down at like 112 MPH or something like that. And is that not fast enough for a rolling brick?

My truck is not locked down lol. I'm curious if the speedometer will read the larger number on the analog dial as mph instead of kph... I'd hate for the little number to stay mph... does that make sense? I know the difference.... but the US speedo on the corvette for insentience goes to 200mph, the export is 300kph, if you swap an export unit into a usa unit the 300 goes to mph. Not that you'll ever go that fast but i'd hate to have it displayed in kph. Maybe i'll buy one if i find one cheap.

Larger turbo, deleted, 5" exhaust, tb delete, intake elbow, more boosts and fuel, she's been 150+mph a few times on open empty highways allegedly.

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
Your question does not make sense, the clusters are the same. The both read both, the only difference is the gauge face which are inverted between the two, but have the same range.

Dodgetk81

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Your question does not make sense, the clusters are the same. The both read both, the only difference is the gauge face which are inverted between the two, but have the same range.

I was just going to reply the same. Clusters are the same except for the faceplate.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
There seems to be a few Canadian ones for cheap, I wounder if I can get a gauge face for it.

Second thought, what is a premium Gas cluster is used in a diesel. I don't have DEF so I don't care about that. I wonder if the diesel icons are still available in a gas cluster.

Also can I use a 2014 cluster in my 2013? I've seen that the 2013 work in a 2014, but I've seen where people have issues with TPMS when a 2014 dash is used in a 2013 truck.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There seems to be a few Canadian ones for cheap, I wounder if I can get a gauge face for it.

Second thought, what is a premium Gas cluster is used in a diesel. I don't have DEF so I don't care about that. I wonder if the diesel icons are still available in a gas cluster.

Also can I use a 2014 cluster in my 2013? I've seen that the 2013 work in a 2014, but I've seen where people have issues with TPMS when a 2014 dash is used in a 2013 truck.
From what I've read the 13 clusters will only work in a 13 as far as tpms goes .
So a 14+ in a 13 would not work ( tpms wise .)

The 14 -16 work with near 100 % functionality to include tpms . Not sure on the 17s ? ,☆☆☆☆ see Hootbro post
Below for certin HD Trucks that have stipulations ☆☆☆☆

With this said if the TPMS Tire Pressure Monitoring System is not important to you , or you are running aftermarket wheels without TPMS Valve stems , then 13-16 cluster will work for you just fine .

If I'm wrong on any of the above info someone please correct me and I'll delete this post .

Hope this helps !

Last edited:

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Bump

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I wound up with a 2016 rebel without the rebel cluster. My dealer wouldn't order the rebel cluster because the parts guy said I had to already have one because it's exchange only.

I see other people have posted they were able to purchase one with an added core charge. What dealer will order this part for me without a core? I believe the part number is 68280858AC.
You could have a Rebel Cluster for a grand + $175 for programming

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L

The 14 -16 work with 100 % functionality to include tpms . Not sure on the 17s ?

Not 100%. If you have a 15+ HD with the AUX Upfitter switch option, the menu selection setup for the aux switches will only be on 15+ clusters. A 14 cluster will work but no menu selections for setting up the aux switches.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks Hoot ! I edited my post above .

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Alright, I have a question about a cluster install.

So we know a 13 cluster is unique to 13 Ram's as far as the Tire Pressure Monitoring System ( TPMS ) goes .

My question is , are the TPMS Valve stem sensors unique to the 2013 Cluster ?

If this was the case then if a 14 + Ram was upgraded with a 13 premium cluster then you could replace your TPMS Valve stems with a set for a 13 Ram and the tire pressures would then show up on the 13 cluster as opposed to just _ _ dashes _ _ ?

Can anyone confirm this this would work .

Thanks for any response!

☆☆☆☆☆☆Edit ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

I'm fairly certain this will not work , but I don't know for sure , Wishful thinking maybe .
I think maybe the 13 clusters tpms not working in a 14 + Ram is more likely due to a diff Bluetooth /RF module mounted elsewhere in the vehicle ?

Does anyone know if the clusters actually have their own Bluetooth module inside of it for tire pressure monitoring?

Thanks again for any response.

Last edited:

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Alright, I have a question about a cluster install.

So we know a 13 cluster is unique to 13 Ram's as far as the Tire Pressure Monitoring System ( TPMS ) goes .

My question is , are the TPMS Valve stem sensors unique to the 2013 Cluster ?

If this was the case then if a 14 + Ram was upgraded with a 13 premium cluster then you could replace your TPMS Valve stems with a set for a 13 Ram and the tire pressures would then show up on the 13 cluster as opposed to just _ _ dashes _ _ ?

Can anyone confirm this this would work .

Thanks for any response!

☆☆☆☆☆☆Edit ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

I'm fairly certain this will not work , but I don't know for sure , Wishful thinking maybe .
I think maybe the 13 clusters tpms not working in a 14 + Ram is more likely due to a diff Bluetooth /RF module mounted elsewhere in the vehicle ?

Does anyone know if the clusters actually have their own Bluetooth module inside of it for tire pressure monitoring?

Thanks again for any response.

The TPMS sensors don't communicate directly with the cluster. Rather, they communicate with the RFHM (radio frequency hub module). The RFHM provides the tire pressure values via the CAN bus and the cluster just displays them.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This is what I thought as well , thank you sir for commenting .

So , I'm assuming the RF Module mounted in the truck has changed for the 14 + Ram's ? Or the can bus system just operates differently ?
Thanks again Sir ! I'm just trying to understand how this system works and to see if there's a go around for getting a 13 Premium cluster to work in a 14 + Ram's as far as tpms goes.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
This is what I thought as well , thank you sir for commenting .

So , I'm assuming the RF Module mounted in the truck has changed for the 14 + Ram's ? Or the can bus system just operates differently ?
Thanks again Sir ! I'm just trying to understand how this system works and to see if there's a go around for getting a 13 Premium cluster to work in a 14 + Ram's as far as tpms goes.

I would also add that if you changed out both the TPMS sensors and RF hub module, you would probably still run into problems with RF hub module if it has to be VIN programmed to the truck in question. Might not be able to program a 2014+ RF module to a 2013 VIN.

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I don't know the specifics of what changed, unfortunately. The remote start kit comes with one RF module regardless of year, so seemingly there isn't much difference between 13 and 14+. But, that one might be specifically setup to be compatible with both. Or, the data might be massaged in the BCM before it goes to the cluster and that's where the difference is. I'm not sure.

69mach1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummings 6.7
I would also add that if you changed out both the TPMS sensors and RF hub module, you would probably still run into problems with RF hub module if it has to be VIN programmed to the truck in question. Might not be able to program a 2014+ RF module to a 2013 VIN.

I'd love to know if this is possible so I could get my TPMS working in my 2013 2500 with the 2015 7" cluster. I think there's two different RF units, one for the TPMS mounted in front of the driver side tire and the other having to do with the remote start option.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I believe there is an RF module mounted behind the back seat r/s in my QC

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members