How to Make FUNCTIONAL HOOD VENTS for RAM 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boosted Motorsports

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Finally got around to a project I wanted to tackle for awhile. With the procharger soon being installed and JBA shorties on I want to reduce under hood temps and also since the procharger pulls its air from the back of the engine bay this will bring cooler air in for that purpose also.

This is a DIY on how to modify your stock honeycomb hood inserts to allow air to pass through them.

I keep seeing people comment on concerns of air/water/dirt/dust getting into the engine bay. I'd like to remind everyone that SRT vehicles including Hellcats, TrackHawk, Viper, and even the 04-06 SRT-10 all have open hood vents similar to this with no issues.

Just be conscious of the climate you drive in and your intake setup. I agree you don't want rain dumping on a cone filter but ducting can avoid this too :)

The Mopar cold air intake kit could even introduce water to the filter more directly than this mod with the ducting setup they have.

Anyway here is the video! :head3:

SportinaHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI!
Still holding up good? No issues or anything? Tempted to do this myself. Digging the videos by the way, subscribed and liked!

autumnwalker

Reaction score
I'm wondering if there is any measurable difference in opening up these grills? My intuition tells me they should lower under hood temps; however, I have read that due to the shape of the hood, they really do not do a lot to reduce heat / introduce cooler air - too much turbulent air, doesn't get into the grill / vent or something like that.

OP
OP
Boosted Motorsports

Boosted Motorsports

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Still holding up good? No issues or anything? Tempted to do this myself. Digging the videos by the way, subscribed and liked!

Still no issues! :)

I'm wondering if there is any measurable difference in opening up these grills? My intuition tells me they should lower under hood temps; however, I have read that due to the shape of the hood, they really do not do a lot to reduce heat / introduce cooler air - too much turbulent air, doesn't get into the grill / vent or something like that.

I can see where your coming from. Let me introduce some other theory/idea as well. Most modern cars have engine underbelly pans to try to improve aerodynamics/efficiency as well. However these trucks do not so as air passes under the vehicle in motion it should in theory create negative pressure in the engine bay which would in theory promote air being pulled both through the radiator as well as the hood vents. Also at a dead stop the opened hood vents should allow some hot air to rise and exit through the vents as well.

SportinaHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI!
Well then, I guess I may be doing this. I am thinking about doing something ever so slightly different though. May not open all of them up, but also thinking about mounting 1 or 2 small led lights in them, not sure just yet. Think it would be a cool way to add some extra character. Maybe some purple ones or amber running light style... We shall see what I end up doing heh.

autumnwalker

Reaction score
I can see where your coming from. Let me introduce some other theory/idea as well. Most modern cars have engine underbelly pans to try to improve aerodynamics/efficiency as well. However these trucks do not so as air passes under the vehicle in motion it should in theory create negative pressure in the engine bay which would in theory promote air being pulled both through the radiator as well as the hood vents. Also at a dead stop the opened hood vents should allow some hot air to rise and exit through the vents as well.
Good point! Do you have any data showing the difference?