How to UPGRADE your 9006 fogs to LED for CHEAP!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boosted Motorsports

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
In this video I compare a 55w HID kit to a $25 LED in the 9006 fog lights and show you how to install them!

This install is very straight forward and easy to do yourself!

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Way too much glare above the cutoff. Thanks for the video, I enjoy your videos, but I dont recommend doing this as your blinding other drivers.
Don't agree with that observation unless you're worried about worms being blinded. The beams are very low where foglights belong.

Jmhm17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Don't agree with that observation unless you're worried about worms being blinded. The beams are very low where foglights belong.

the beam is projected low, yes. However, the glare being casted north of the beam is over powered because of 2 reasons; 1: the blub is too powerful, and 2: the bulb is not designed for the reflector housing. Not sure what you mean by "worms", but on coming drivers will be blinded by that glare. I have seen many 4th gen Rams with HID's or LED's in their fogs and the glare over powers their headlights, almost like they have high beams on the bumper.

the problem with halogen reflectors is they allow glare to escape the intended beam pastern, theres no sharp cutoff. This is acceptable by DOT since halogens dont get much over 1800 lumens in low beams and especially fog light applications. Factory HID's, or HID/LED designed reflectors have sharp cut offs to prevent glare since the light is so bright, and the tolerances are much tighter. if there were glare in those applications they would blind other drivers, thus case in point..

jouart

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7 8 Speed
I installed them in my 2015. I love the good bright light. One flickers. Company told I need canbuss to fix. Disappointed with response.

LED Headlights Bulbs 9006 HB4 with Advanced Flip Chip and All-in-One Conversion kit, 60W 6400LM 6500K White Lamp for Hi/Lo Beam/DRL/Fog Light https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073CWJD2D/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_i_IaM6AbENPJ666

1500canoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I have a 2018. Haven't installed these yet (still sitting in the box in the garage). The guy from boosted motorsports who is the original poster has a 2014 I believe.

busterbrown

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 2500 Megacab Laramie
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I installed them in my fogs 2 weeks ago. I have a 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie. I originally purchased the 9006 bulb type as these are what the OEM fog bulbs are. But the base of these LED 9006s were too large for the locking hole in the fog housing. So, I returned them and purchased the 9005s bulb type. They fit perfect. The 6000K white light matches the new DDM Tuning 35W 5500K Plus HID low beam kit I installed a week earlier. Light output is exceptional now. The low beam cutoff is perfect and does not blind oncoming traffic at any distance. The LEDs in the fog housing have a much wider and brighter broadcast of the white light. Not much blue out these LED lights. Just a pure white light. No flickering either. I'll report back if anything changes. But for now, the LED fogs and low beam HIDs were the best mods to date for my 2500.

ObiwanJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I installed them in my fogs 2 weeks ago. I have a 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie. I originally purchased the 9006 bulb type as these are what the OEM fog bulbs are. But the base of these LED 9006s were too large for the locking hole in the fog housing. So, I returned them and purchased the 9005s bulb type. They fit perfect. The 6000K white light matches the new DDM Tuning 35W 5500K Plus HID low beam kit I installed a week earlier. Light output is exceptional now. The low beam cutoff is perfect and does not blind oncoming traffic at any distance. The LEDs in the fog housing have a much wider and brighter broadcast of the white light. Not much blue out these LED lights. Just a pure white light. No flickering either. I'll report back if anything changes. But for now, the LED fogs and low beam HIDs were the best mods to date for my 2500.
Vertical or horizontal fogs?

And where are you at?

busterbrown

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Horizontal fogs on the 2500 Laramies. I'm in the northern suburbs of Detroit.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L V6 EcoDiesel
In this video I compare a 55w HID kit to a $25 LED in the 9006 fog lights and show you how to install them!

This install is very straight forward and easy to do yourself!

Thanks for all the videos, as a new Ram owner I have been binging through your channel and now I a subscribed.

One quick question. When i bough my Ram the previous owner had already installed an HID kit similar to yours, I'd like to do this swap but I'm not sure what is factory and what came with the HID kit. Could you post a pic of everything you took out from the HID kit so I don't accidentally rip out something I shouldn't? Thanks again!

OP
OP
Boosted Motorsports

Boosted Motorsports

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for all the videos, as a new Ram owner I have been binging through your channel and now I a subscribed.

One quick question. When i bough my Ram the previous owner had already installed an HID kit similar to yours, I'd like to do this swap but I'm not sure what is factory and what came with the HID kit. Could you post a pic of everything you took out from the HID kit so I don't accidentally rip out something I shouldn't? Thanks again!

Hey Jon thanks for the support! The factory projector headlights are only halogen bulbs so there is just a plug and a bulb originally so it should be pretty easy to identify! Any ballast or CANBUS decoder will be something a previous owner added!

busterbrown

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Very nice to find someone on here that's close!!
I've seen quite a few Michigan members on here. Many don't specify which part of the state they're from.

Brent L

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Last edited:

ouvs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've seen quite a few Michigan members on here. Many don't specify which part of the state they're from.

I'm in the Taylor area, near the airport. I know there have been some car meets out in Bell Isle, just never went. I'd like to get my truck really custom and different before I went. I am excited to go to the Road Kill race next month, forgot where, but like auburn hills or pontiac.

ram1500newbie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey Jon thanks for the support! The factory projector headlights are only halogen bulbs so there is just a plug and a bulb originally so it should be pretty easy to identify! Any ballast or CANBUS decoder will be something a previous owner added!

Your videos have been a huge help. I installed the HID in my fogs and also in my lights this weekend. The same ones you did in yours with the hikari led fogs. My hid fogs won’t turn on now. Any suggestions???

Thanks for your help