Hub Bolts Won't Loosen

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

James Vellenga

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was hoping to replace the front wheel bearing assemblies on my 2005 Ram 1500 4x4 this weekend. My back had different ideas, but it is getting better. I have the brakes off, the axle nut loosened, but the mounting nuts will not budge. I guess this shouldn't have surprised me since they are quite rusted, however, all I have succeeded in doing so far is breaking the extension I was using to reach the bolt heads. I have soaked them with PB Blaster. I have wire brushed the visible threads to get them as clean and rust free as I can, but now that I have broken the extension I am concerned that rather than moving they will just break off. Any suggestions that might get them free.

kirk35

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD Tradesman
Heat. You can use a propane torch, just be careful and direct the flame away from anything that could melt.

Nickx86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Heat. You can use a propane torch, just be careful and direct the flame away from anything that could melt.
if you have access to a b tank or m tank…use them for brazing piping. They will definitely give you enough heat but like quoted above be careful where you apply flame

Spsully

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Bigger impact gun. If you're within driving distance of 34450 I'll help you for the hefty fee of one monster rehab.

OP
OP
J

James Vellenga

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I will hit it with heat and see if that will help.

I was doing this manually as getting the impact on it was not working for me. I may have to see if I can figure a way to get the impact on it. I am pretty sure that the hammering action would help.

OP
OP
J

James Vellenga

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Heat didn't work, but taking undoing the upper ball joint gave me enough room to fit my impact in. That made short work of the bolts. Now to get the assembly off. As usual up in the land of salt on the road, it is rust welded tight. It is hot and humid, so I am going to take a break before I take a shot at it beyond hitting a bit already with no effect.

OP
OP
J

James Vellenga

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I needed a bigger hammer to hammer on the bearing, so I ran out to the local Canadian Tire Store since they had them on sale. I was originally going to get a 2.5-pound club hammer, but I saw a 4.5-pound one with a slightly longer handle. Yes, it was more expensive, but once I got home it only took 20 hits or so to knock the bearing assembly loose. It was well worth the money. Big hammer for the win.

OP
OP
J

James Vellenga

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the help everyone. Hopefully, when I do the other side later this week it will be easier. This gave we a chance to inspect stuff while lying under the truck trying to figure things out. I did find I need to do the passenger's side axle seal. Something the add to the list.

Lyle Longboat

2011 Ram 1500 5.7 Sport CC
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When I did bearings on my 2005 (same truck) I removed the whole knuckle and took the bearing assembly out in like 5 minutes. Impact the bolts and hammered out the bearing. I dont mess around with trying to remove bearings with knuckle on the vehicle. I find faster for me to remove the knuckle and switch out bearings that way. I use my table vice to hold the knuckle in place. Glad you got it fixed!