Hurricane direct injection

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I know of a person who had the decarbonizing process performed on their 3.5 Ecoboost at an independent shop and lost both turbos weeks later. If the decarbonizing method is using a chemical solvent injected into the intake stream, it could wash out a turbo bearing.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 100870 miles.
Decarbonizing services I've seen advertised blast walnut shell (or other non-marring materials) to remove the build-up. This requires removing intake manifolds and quite a bit of labor. Which is why it costs so much. Using chemicals/solvents requires much less labor, and is generally much less effective. Of course, the end results depend on the amount of build-up that needs to be removed.

brian42

Military
Reaction score
I'm sure there are outliers but, as mikeru mentioned, a majority of the professional services I've seen are for a blasting of the intake with benign material (crushed walnut shells seems to be the preferred media).

Most of the chemical ones I've seen are DIY cans from auto parts stores (or Amazon) that you maintain elevated RPMs while emptying a can you plumb into your intake (downstream of the filter and airflow sensor). I've seen some before and after Youtube videos and there are some good results (especially if your buildup is minor) but, as already posted, what kind of effect do those chemicals have on the rest of the components between the intake and exhaust tip?

Last edited:

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I know of a person who had the decarbonizing process performed on their 3.5 Ecoboost at an independent shop and lost both turbos weeks later. If the decarbonizing method is using a chemical solvent injected into the intake stream, it could wash out a turbo bearing.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 100870 miles.
For clarity, the vehicle referred to was "cleaned" using a liquid solvent injected into the intake stream.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 100887 miles.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
For clarity, the vehicle referred to was "cleaned" using a liquid solvent injected into the intake stream.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 100887 miles.
Yeah that's not the process I was referring to, nor is it very effective. Some argue that if it's done on a regular basis it could help reduce the amount of deposits, which sounds reasonable to me. But once there's enough carbon built up to affect how the engine runs it's too late for that type of cleaning.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah that's not the process I was referring to, nor is it very effective. Some argue that if it's done on a regular basis it could help reduce the amount of deposits, which sounds reasonable to me. But once there's enough carbon built up to affect how the engine runs it's too late for that type of cleaning.
Since this is the only one I know of personally, it's hard to judge. But within a year this vehicle started having engine performance issues again, so I have a tendency to agree with you.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 100949 miles.