I-70 Loveland Pass

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This is the right answer. I've got a 2500 but I'm assuming the 5.7 + 8 speed works the same as my 6.4 + 8 speed. A while back I took my 7600# travel trailer do2n a 10% grade several miles long. The speed limit was 30 MPH. I set the cruise control on 30 in tow/haul mode and let it go. The transmission downshifted as needed and kept me at 30 without touching the brakes. I only needed the brakes for a couple of sharp 25 MPH curves.

What you will find on I-70 will be 6% to 7%. With higher speeds on the interstate. You just need to stay ahead of things. I'd set the cruise about 10 MPH below the speed limit and let it do what it does. I know a lot of people insist you shouldn't use cruise while towing but I've never seen a reason not to. But it really does work.
Setting the cruise will actually make the truck downshift more and quicker than tow/haul will - tow/haul generally doesn't start downshifting until some amount of brake is applied going downhill.
I would probably do as suggested in above ^ or manually select a lower gear to start with.

I find on my truck that the engine braking for the 5.7 isn't really that great and seemed less so at altitude. Still needed to apply brakes on the way down with the engine screaming at 4000+ rpms - but again that was fully loaded but not towing. I think the drag from the trailer will help more than the extra weight will hurt as far as keeping speed under control.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If he hits the tow/haul button that will not only alter the trucks shift points, timing, etc. but also disable the MDS (multiple displacement system). Do not know if all knew/know what the MDS stood for.
Tow/haul doesn't disable MDS on many years. Using the +/- to manually select 8th or below does disable MDS.

On my 16, I go into MDS quite often with tow/haul on and in D - practically every descent.

Not sure on his 2019, but it is a Classic so it might be like most of the 4th gens for disabling MDS.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Oh and in October there's always a chance for snow, the passes on I 70 are always fun on a snowy day - we always go in Feb. or Mar. and often change routes depending on the weather.
You don't state whether your truck is 2WD or 4WD But:

• From Sept. 1 to May 31, the Traction Law is always active on I-70 from Dotsero to Morrison.
  • The minimum tread depth for tires on all vehicles increased to 3/16”.

Traction Law

During winter storms, or when conditions require, CDOT will implement the Passenger Vehicle Traction Law. CDOT can implement the Passenger Vehicle Traction and Chain Laws on any state highway. During a Traction Law, all motorists are required to have EITHER:
  1. 4WD or AWD vehicle and 3/16” tread depth
  2. Tires with a mud and snow designation (M+S icon) and 3/16” tread depth
  3. Winter tires (mountain-snowflake icon) and 3/16” tread depth
  4. Tires with an all-weather rating by the manufacturer and 3/16” tread depth
  5. Chains or an approved alternative traction device

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
I presume you have good trailer brakes, I see lots that are neglected and buggered.
I have no idea on your pass.

OP
OP
ILLXJ

ILLXJ

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My truck is 4wd, about 10K on M&S all terrains. New trailer brakes & bearings in Jan. Went over the trailer this weekend & everything is good.

Taking 3 days to get there this time instead of 2, so we may do Loveland pass depending on the weather.

Thanks again.
JIM.

1 MEAN66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT-MDS
When I drove the "lower 48" in a semi, there were a few of those mountain passes where you could be stopped from using them (in a semi) if did NOT at least have chains with you. Depending on the temp. and "possible" weather conditions. Not packed, YOU CAN"T GO!!! even as early in the year as Sept. Starting at 5,000 feet and climbing into the 5 figures weather change pretty quick. Too give you an idea, attached are two pictures of Mt. Washington in New Hampshire, taken the same day within an hour of that climb. The difference is the bottom and top. And it is only a short 7–8-mile climb, from 2100 feet above sea level to 6300 ft. Their main problem is wind speed (highest wind speed ever recorded (on the planet) 231 MPH recorded there!!! The also on the "road up" has a 1–2-mile section of "DIRT" (clay like) that if it gets wet (read rain) is as bad as ice. During the summer a motorcycle can even be band it is raining near the top. The day we went up, Rebecca & I, it was a very thick fog (50 or so feet visibility) at about mid-way, worse near the top. She left her bike at the bottom, rode the back of mine up. Refused to come back down on it, so I had to buy a ticket so she could come down in one of their VANS! That dirt section wasn't fun on the way down. Great place to visit though. Type it in there is a lot of info on it!

Attachments

• 7am arriving NH's  Mt.Washington Auto Road Slight overcast.jpg
    7am arriving NH's Mt.Washington Auto Road Slight overcast.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 10
  • top parking lot Mt. Washington 1PM 2018.jpg
    top parking lot Mt. Washington 1PM 2018.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 10

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Loveland pass is a nice drive, if the weather is iffy, you could always take and unhook the trailer down in Frisco at the Walmart and go up over the pass empty - if you have the time.
From Walmart just take the Dillon Dam road over to 6 and go over the pass.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Tow/haul doesn't disable MDS on many years. Using the +/- to manually select 8th or below does disable MDS.

On my 16, I go into MDS quite often with tow/haul on and in D - practically every descent.

Not sure on his 2019, but it is a Classic so it might be like most of the 4th gens for disabling MDS.

Tow/haul disabled MDS on my '17 'Wagon.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Tow/haul disabled MDS on my '17 'Wagon.
It might on the 2500, but it doesn't on most of the 4th gen 1500 truck.

On my 2016 1500, the only setting that disables MDS is using the +/- and going into 8th or less OR a check engine light. Using tow/haul does reduce how often it will go into MDS though due to the fact that the shift points are changed. Other than sound stopping MDS doesn't really change the feel of driving the truck except for when driving in rolling hills - in that situation having MDS off does smooth things out a bit. IMO A lot of times the truck is in MDS on the down hill and there is a very slight lag before it shuts off on the next uphill - having it off just feels smoother under those conditions to me.
For my truck the sweet spot for MDS is on flat level ground with a 45-50 mph limit and using cruise control - I'll get between 28-30 mpg under those conditions.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Utah had snow on Labor Day in the mountains near Salt Lake - Alta ski resort area.

OP
OP
ILLXJ

ILLXJ

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Utah had snow on Labor Day in the mountains near Salt Lake - Alta ski resort area.
Saw that, but I am staying in Moab for a week. Then going south to the GC & taking I-40 home.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Even if tow/haul mode does not disable MDS, it's probably not going to go into MDS mode when towing a trailer unless you are coasting downhill! MDS only engages under really light loads.
Regarding braking or slowing down when going downhill, some people commented that the drag of the trailer would help slow you down. From my personal experience I've never had a trailer hold me back when going downhill. They have always pushed me downhill faster than an empty truck.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Even if tow/haul mode does not disable MDS, it's probably not going to go into MDS mode when towing a trailer unless you are coasting downhill! MDS only engages under really light loads.
Regarding braking or slowing down when going downhill, some people commented that the drag of the trailer would help slow you down. From my personal experience I've never had a trailer hold me back when going downhill. They have always pushed me downhill faster than an empty truck.
I just towed the boat back from Fl to Pa, was surprised how often it went into MDS - and yes it was always on a downhill - including every overpass.

My boat acts like a big parachute and it does help slow me down going downhill - so much so that I often am on the gas to go downhill and maintain 70 mph. Not brake drag as the big Kodiak discs are now electric over hydraulic and it allows the trailer to roll much more freely vs. the surge brakes.
Now there were a couple of pretty steep descents that even with tow/haul on and revving over 3-4k rpms, there was no way to maintain the 55 mph without a lot of brake applications - pretty much just let it roll as it was straight. But even on those hills, I think the final speed was close to what it was when empty.
So I think it depends on what is actually behind you as far as drag.

Ratman6161

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Setting the cruise will actually make the truck downshift more and quicker than tow/haul will - tow/haul generally doesn't start downshifting until some amount of brake is applied going downhill.
I would probably do as suggested in above ^ or manually select a lower gear to start with.

I find on my truck that the engine braking for the 5.7 isn't really that great and seemed less so at altitude. Still needed to apply brakes on the way down with the engine screaming at 4000+ rpms - but again that was fully loaded but not towing. I think the drag from the trailer will help more than the extra weight will hurt as far as keeping speed under control.
Actually you can, and I do, use both tow haul and cruise control at the same time :)

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Actually you can, and I do, use both tow haul and cruise control at the same time :)
Same here, I use cruise control a lot. Only wish it would allow a drop in speed by about 1-2 mph going up an incline. This would eliminate a lot of downshifting when going over an overpass on the interstate.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Same here, I use cruise control a lot. Only wish it would allow a drop in speed by about 1-2 mph going up an incline. This would eliminate a lot of downshifting when going over an overpass on the interstate.
I would almost say the opposite on my cruise control ('16 2500 6.4). Think it allows too much speed drop prior to downshifting. The trouble is that is drops around 5 mph before downshifting, then after downshifing it tries to speed back up that 5 mph to the set speed....when already climbing a steep hill there is a big difference between just maintaining speed and trying to accelerate.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would almost say the opposite on my cruise control ('16 2500 6.4). Think it allows too much speed drop prior to downshifting. The trouble is that is drops around 5 mph before downshifting, then after downshifing it tries to speed back up that 5 mph to the set speed....when already climbing a steep hill there is a big difference between just maintaining speed and trying to accelerate.
We need to combine the two for a perfect cruise.
Yours is how my Pacifica was except it would overshoot by 10 mph after cresting a bigger hill.

My 1500 downshifts almost instantly and that's with the 3.92 gears in it.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
We need to combine the two for a perfect cruise.
Yours is how my Pacifica was except it would overshoot by 10 mph after cresting a bigger hill.

My 1500 downshifts almost instantly and that's with the 3.92 gears in it.
I get pretty annoyed with cruise when towing. Love having cruise on long freeway trips but usually turn it off when getting in the hills so I don't have to deal with it. Part of the problem is that sometimes it will even downshift two gears on hills because it's now trying to speed up, where as if I turn the cruise off the truck is able to maintain speed in the higher gear. For example on my 6 speed it will be in 5th with T/H mode running 65 mph. You get to a steep hill and it will drop to almost 60 mph and downshift into 4th and then 3rd which screams the engine while it tries to speed back up to 65 mph. On the same hill if I turn the cruise control off I'll give it more gas to maintain 65 mph which forces it to downshift to 4th and it will maintain 65 mph in 4th....and not be screaming in 3rd.

gfh77665

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
3.6 Pentastar

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I love the Ike tests that TFL does. I do not watch much content at all on YT, mostly click bait stuff anyway, but I do like theirs.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joey93