I need some advice from the pro's...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2500Ram/Big Horn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummings
I am hoping to get a lift for my truck. I have a 2012, Ram 2500 Mega Cab, Big Horn. I want to put on a 5 inch, long arm suspension lift from Rough country's website (SKU 379.22). Once lifted, I want to put 37's on the stock 17 in rims.

Has anyone stuck 37's on stock rims? Rough country said it should work... But I have my doubts.

Should I be looking at new gears from the front and back or leave it alone? I know my gas mileage will be ****, but I don't know enough about gears to know.

I am being told that I can get a computer or device to reset my speedometer. Can I take it to the dealer and have them reset it?
:grd:

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited
Engine
6.7 Cummins - Tuned and Deleted
They will fit but they'll rub like crazy. I run 37x13.5 Toyo MT's on my stock 17's during the winter. Had them on the truck without spacers for a month when I first lifted it and maybe had half my turning radius. Now even with 2" BORA spacers they rub my control arms on both sides. So at the end of the day, the answer is yes but you may not like it as you won't be turning very sharp at all.

New gears aren't required but are something you might want to consider. I had 3.73's stock and hated how the truck drove with the 37's. I ended up swapping to 4.56's which made a HUGE difference in how the truck felt. It's geared a little low for the highway now but I don't typically take it on a lot of highway trips unless I'm towing plus the speed limits around here aren't generally any more than 110-120 km/hr (68-75 mph). If I were going faster I would have gone with 4.10's.

The dealership won't be able to calibrate your speedometer/odometer for 37's; their programmer won't allow them to go that large. You'll need an aftermarket calibrator or tuner to get it set properly.

OP
OP

2500Ram/Big Horn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummings
Thanks for the info. I appreciate the feedback.

How do I find out what size gears I have in it now?

Do I have to change out the pumpkin or can the gears just be replaced? I was reviewing a thread where the guy said he got a 2010 housing from a junk yard. Had a shop do the gears for him.

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited
Engine
6.7 Cummins - Tuned and Deleted
Thanks for the info. I appreciate the feedback.

How do I find out what size gears I have in it now?

Do I have to change out the pumpkin or can the gears just be replaced? I was reviewing a thread where the guy said he got a 2010 housing from a junk yard. Had a shop do the gears for him.

Easiest way is to download your build sheet. Go to the link below and put your VIN in after the "=" to download the exact sheet for your truck.

http://www.ramtrucks.com/webselfservice/BuildSheetServlet?vin=

You can just swap out the ring and pinion in both the front and rear diffs in your truck. It's only on the 2012 1500's that you need to get a different housing. Cost ends up being about the same though with the increased cost of parts required for the 2500/3500 differentials.
I had a shop do my gears as well (one of the only things I've had a shop do for me). They're very involved to install and setup properly and it's one of those things that you don't want to screw up. If you don't set them up right the gears are shot and you'll need to buy new ones.