I was just told my bed is junk

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jbmobbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360
get a whole new bed.......best thing to do....id buy one newer in years like an 06 cause they wised up throught the years and possibly fixed the problem

or sand it down and coat it HEAVILY in rust stopper and throw some flares on er lol

OP
OP
02blkram47

02blkram47

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'd like a new bed but it's just not in the budget right now, I'll take my chances with a patch and coating the hell out of it front and back of the fender with Rust stopper and then bedline it on both sides so hopefully the moisture won't get back there again. If a decent bed comes along for a good price I'll jump on it. I agree I'll look for newer model.

Sagebrush2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 2500 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah - if you can do a quick fix now and a replacement later, that sounds like the best bet.

Better being told your bed is junk than you're junk in bed.

Hurley91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I got a small bubble on each side of my truck (One side is smaller than a dime, and the other is about the size of a dime) so I went to a local guy and he said he would have to cut out each side, and reweld in new patch panels because it will just rust out anyways. He said it would be $1000 for me. Doesn`t really sound like that bad of a price, but I`ll wait until after winter.

OP
OP
02blkram47

02blkram47

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
$1000 ssounds like a lot to me for two dime size bubbles. Those patch panels are only about $60 each. I have to think there would be a way to fix the bubbles without patches and get behind those fenders and coat the hell out of them so the rust get take hold. Or maybe fix the drain problem so this doesn't even start. For $1K to fix this and most likely will rust again in 3-5 years seems steep. If you are set on patch panels I would just find someone who knows how to weld and have them place the panels for you and grind down the welds to smooth it out and then take it to the body shop. You can buy the panels for $120 total get some to weld it on (experienced person) but a body shop. Than have the body shop do the prep and paint and I think you would be under the $1K. I might be wrong though who knows. That's my plan anyway, but I'm going with bed liner over the repair and possibly entire truck.

Cthulhu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Around this area, we have a lot of work trucks with the beds removed for cargo/work boxes. They will sell those beds if they buy their trucks instead of lease them. If they lease the trucks they have to put the beds back on to return at the end of lease, so they won't let you have 'em...

There's shops around here with racks upon racks of beds, and they'll happily let someone buy one off them for cheap.

OP
OP
02blkram47

02blkram47

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That would be nice. That seems worth $1k to me or maybe less if possible. Spending a grand on a patch job wouldn't interest me.

OP
OP
02blkram47

02blkram47

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for the link but they are clear across the country from me. I saw one for $700 that looked good but way to far away. thanks again