Idle issues. 03 1500 5.7

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Micah201

Micah201

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 2007
Engine
5.7 Hemi & 5.9 CTD
"The external grounding works better on some truck over others. Most likely depending on the individual trucks grounding. The PCM uses both a clean (filtered) ground and a chassis ground. I have a external ground wire that runs from the PCM to the TB to a valve cover bolt and finally to the fender by the battery."

That's pretty close to the same route I was thinking of taking. I figure the easier the path to ground the better, so why not tie it into everything.

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360
Well I certainly don't have any problem with your testing methods. It looks like I'll be adding that ground wire to my TB before weekend. :favorites13:

OP
OP
Micah201

Micah201

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 2007
Engine
5.7 Hemi & 5.9 CTD
Well, Just an update on the original post. I made it 5 days this time around with no issues. I've had no problems, until today. Was on the way home from work, stopped off to pay a bill and left the truck running while I went inside. Came back out, and the truck wasn't running. Started right back up, and idle was all over the place again. Rechecked everything as I did the first time around. Trans fluid level was normal. TB ground was still secure. Decided to reset the TB and drive it home. Did the reset procedure, cranked it back up and it was fine for about two minutes. Throttle went crazy as soon as I went to pull out of the parking lot. Stomped on the go pedal, (there was oncoming traffic) got nothing in return. Acted like it wanted to stall. Spit, sputtered, and coughed. Slammed the throttle harder,(to the floor) and it caught and took off like a bat out of hell. Left a good bit of expensive rubber across that intersection. After that, it ran perfect. Smooth idle, and acting normal again. Kinda has me worried though. What happens if it doesn't decide to get up and go next time?

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
That almost sounds like you picked up a little water in the fuel and had to clear it from the rails. How about throwing some dry fuel in and see if that stabilizes the idle.