Increase MPG w Royal Purple?! Crazy!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mattman_13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Haven't hand calculated with travel up here but If I'm easy on the pedal and keep my speed in the sweet spot my evic has been showing high 14s. Little over 15 sometimes. Low 13s if I'm playing around. My speedo is recal'd for my tire size and thats with K&N cai, dodm80, and trinity with 87 tune.
But I know where my sweet spot is on my speed and my 35s and turn off mds in the city and leave it on highway. I drive it a LOT so I am super used to being easy and pulling out mpgs
this winter my evic displayed considerably less. 11's sometime. stayed in the 13s on good days.
Can't wait to see on 37s. I honestly think switching to an AT and losing a few pounds on each corner will help my case. Hopefully an 87 TB and get my sweet spot for my speed up while keeping my rpms were they were with my 35s.
Time will tell.

Last edited:

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I finally changed my underwear, and gained 7MPG.
Gotta do that more often.
Seriously, I would say you have to attribute most of that gain to weather. Unless you change the viscosity of your oil there's no way you could gain 3MPG

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I finally changed my underwear, and gained 7MPG.
Gotta do that more often

I'll have to try that, I had three pitchers of beer at the bar this weekend and only walked 2.8 miles to my buddies apartment(2 mpg hand calculated, probably a little off since that's without the beer I drank before the bar and at the girls apartment I stopped at)
I ran out of fuel with only 1/4 mile to my apartment

ZCR

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Longhorn 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi A8 3.92
I'll have to try that, I had three pitchers of beer at the bar this weekend and only walked 2.8 miles to my buddies apartment(2 mpg hand calculated, probably a little off since that's without the beer I drank before the bar and at the girls apartment I stopped at)
I ran out of fuel with only 1/4 mile to my apartment

Just call up AAA for the gallon delivery and tell them your vehicle only runs on E-100.

Kelli25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ahh, MPGs... :naughty:

I find these discussions fun, but mostly pointless. Ive always tried to do everything I could to milk every possible MPG out of all my vehicles. I have found that its is massively dependent upon a million different factors. Everything from your tire pressure, weather, weight in vehicle, uphill, downhill, stops, traffic, ect, ect.. Short of having a controlled enviroment where nothing changes except what you choose, there would be no way to tell what in the heck has caused your fuel economy to fluctuate up or down. At least in terms of giving an accurate number. I drove from Austin to the Grand Canyon and back once in a modified V8. I could drive ''nice'' and get 23 mpgs on the highway, or heavy right foot and get 11. Even an average will constantly change. Even if you have a constant routine. Conditions change and mpgs respond accordingly. It is what it is. :)

For the record im not saying that we cant alter it ourselves, or make it better. I do that to all my vehicles. Im just saying its very difficult to decide the why, what and hows. Of course doing certain things will up your MPG or lower it. I guess my point is that its more of a case specific type thing.

But then again, what the heck do I know? I made most of that up off the top of my head. Plus I need to google what MPG means. :anitoof:

Now, Im gonna go get some Royal Purple. I need the extra MPGs. :favorites13:

No, really.

craigsez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you gained a mile per gallon by just changeing oil you could turn the 18wheeler world upside down with your secrets..
To many factors that could make the diff in your mpg...
How hard or easy your on the peddle
Temps n humidity
Tire pressures
Whats in rhe truck as in gear in rhe box ext
Idleing
Hills
Road surface
Air filter ect ect ect
I say to the op,sell me some drugs cause my big rig could use the extra mpg....

Ram bo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
that ting gots a hemi!
I seen on either hp tv or muscle car they base lined a car then swapped all, repeat all powertrain fluids w/royal purple and picked up 12~15 rwhp iirc. if all fluids done like this, I don't see how mpgs not increased, everything else being equal. fwiw, I just finished a 1300+ road trip and averged 19.4 mpg, w/half of it involving mountain highway driving.

phunny

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's funny how so many of you believe all oils are the same... If you now want to tell me that they aren't then you've just admitted that vehicles run differently on different oil... Therefore mpg can absolutely change depending on the oil you run. Royal purple is a fine oil but you will see your major mpg changes going from Dino oil to Synthecs.

At my shop we replace an engine a week due to oil failures on newer vehicles. These cars run too hot for Dino oils anymore. So after break-in "which is done before you get the car" switch to a good synthetic and never look back. If not, I'll gladly keep replacing hemi's at 8k a pop.

URdone21

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's funny how so many of you believe all oils are the same... If you now want to tell me that they aren't then you've just admitted that vehicles run differently on different oil... Therefore mpg can absolutely change depending on the oil you run. Royal purple is a fine oil but you will see your major mpg changes going from Dino oil to Synthecs.

At my shop we replace an engine a week due to oil failures on newer vehicles. These cars run too hot for Dino oils anymore. So after break-in "which is done before you get the car" switch to a good synthetic and never look back. If not, I'll gladly keep replacing hemi's at 8k a pop.

I just switched to royal purple last week and my truck had 1600 miles on it.

AirborneSilva

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have Amsoil in the garage just waiting for first oil change. I'm not looking for any real improvement in MPG's but just want to protect my motor...

Arctic-Rodz

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Nice results. Im seeing about 13.5 city. I just got to 1200 miles on my truck and also been thinking about what oil to run after the first change.

What weight did you go with, how many miles are you gonna go through between changes? Are you using a royal purple filter as well?