inexpensive alternatives to Dynamat etc?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JinxCanada

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Ram Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
so after my 6x9 speaker swap in my back doors I have aweful door rattle. Dynamat and others are crazy expensive here in Canada. Are there any DIY inexpensive alternatives I could use/try? TIA

OP
OP
JinxCanada

JinxCanada

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Ram Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
maybe crazy but I was thinking of using some home insulation inside the doors. wouldn't this work just as well?

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
You mean like pink fiberglass insulation? That would probably soak up water and condensation, and then rust

steven_sbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
so after my 6x9 speaker swap in my back doors I have aweful door rattle. Dynamat and others are crazy expensive here in Canada. Are there any DIY inexpensive alternatives I could use/try? TIA

You can try for something like Foam and Foil Pipe Wrap. www.homedepot.com/p/E-O-2-in-x-15-ft-Foam-and-Foil-Pipe-Wrap-Insulation-Tape-FV15H/100174724 I don't know if you have Home Depot or not, but a good home center should have it. Check the heating / air conditioning section for other products.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah home insulation would be bad.

Check out sound deadener showdown for less expensive products. The best way would be a combination of the 2 or 3 products they sell, but similar to Dynamat are their CLD tiles. No need to cover the whole panel, just a certain percentage (the site has plenty of info on how much to use and why)

Im considering some of their stuff for my truck since Ill have my seats out eventually.

OP
OP
JinxCanada

JinxCanada

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Ram Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah home insulation would be bad.

Check out sound deadener showdown for less expensive products. The best way would be a combination of the 2 or 3 products they sell, but similar to Dynamat are their CLD tiles. No need to cover the whole panel, just a certain percentage (the site has plenty of info on how much to use and why)

Im considering some of their stuff for my truck since Ill have my seats out eventually.

This. SDS would be a great read for you...

OP
OP
JinxCanada

JinxCanada

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Ram Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
what about a spray foam insulation....spray directing on the doors inside the panels? or maybe even sprayed on the back of the panels and then reinstalled. wouldn't this accomplish the desired sound deadening much cheaper and work well? just throwing thoughts out there

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
what about a spray foam insulation....spray directing on the doors inside the panels? or maybe even sprayed on the back of the panels and then reinstalled. wouldn't this accomplish the desired sound deadening much cheaper and work well? just throwing thoughts out there

Watched a guy try this when I was in school (Installer Institute), he didn't account for it expanding. Needless to say the body panels he used this on ended up looking the surface of the moon.

OP
OP
JinxCanada

JinxCanada

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Ram Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
so I called a local shop here called Fabricland and they sell 2ftx3ft for $10.00 of 1/2" polypropolene foam roll. I might try putting that in and using aluminum tape to secure it. this sounds like it might do the job of reducing the door rattle and give me some sound deadening...although all I really care about is reducing the door rattle more than anything.

OP
OP
JinxCanada

JinxCanada

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Ram Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Watched a guy try this when I was in school (Installer Institute), he didn't account for it expanding. Needless to say the body panels he used this on ended up looking the surface of the moon.

ya that's a good point, although, I really don't care how it looks inside the door panel as long as it does the job I want it to. I just refuse to pay the price they are asking for self adhesive dynamat or similar products.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think it will warp the outside too, not even if its overfilled and expands, just the nature of how it will cure/stick in some places while still expanding in others....makes the material wavy as it cures in ALL places.

I agree Dynamat is expensive, but the real-world options mentioned here are at least a bit cheaper but still intended to do what you want. I always worry about getting fancy to save money....the few times Ive tried, it only COST me money in the end.

OP
OP
JinxCanada

JinxCanada

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Ram Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
ya I hear ya. I'm seriously thinking that this 1/2" rolls of foam put in between the door and the panel will work well and since it's on sale half off right now, it'll cost me about $15.00 to try this experiment. i'll try it, post pictures and report back on my results once it's done. thanks for all the help and advice as always guys!

homeguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi

I saw a guy put some in his a pillar. It exploded. That was pretty neat to see

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Go ahead and try whatever you want. SDS has proven data around all of this. At the end of the day, there is no replacement for dedicated sound dampening in a vehicle. You seem to be the type to learn the hard way, so give it go. It may just reduce it enough for your liking, or it may not do anything and you are now spending more than you would have originally. Never know until you try it first hand.