Inflating Airlift 1000 after loading?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tdavidson48

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am about to purchase the Airlift 1000 for my 1500 and I remember reading that you are supposed to inflate the begs before loading the truck? However there are many times that I am not planning on loading the back of the truck and end up loaded, can I then go and inflate the bags to bring the truck back to level?

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited
Engine
6.7 Cummins - Tuned and Deleted
No. The Airlift 1000's have to be inflated before loading the truck in order to prevent sagging because of how they are designed. The bag itself is not taking the weight of the truck. It is putting outward pressure on the coil springs to prevent them from sagging.

OP
OP
T

tdavidson48

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
a small pump isn't a bad idea, maybe I will look into that. Thanks for the reply i understand now how these things work

thanks

PippinAin'tEasy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Once it's inatalled yer gonna realize what a difference even the #5 minimum makes. I really doubt you'll be needing to adjust under load. If it's it's light, #5. Kinda heavy, #15. Pushing the envelope, full #35.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have used a hand bicycle pump a couple times; because of the small volume of air, it takes just a minute to inflate each bag (right up to 30 psi).

Andy578

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7
yeah they don't take much air so even a small hand pump will work just fine. hell if i hit mine with the compressor it massively over inflates in less then a second

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
yeah they don't take much air so even a small hand pump will work just fine. hell if i hit mine with the compressor it massively over inflates in less then a second
Yep. The way I do it is just turn the pressure regulator on my compressor down to the psi I want, then plug it into the bags for a few seconds. Usually it's only ever a psi or two off.

Andy578

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yep. The way I do it is just turn the pressure regulator on my compressor down to the psi I want, then plug it into the bags for a few seconds. Usually it's only ever a psi or two off.

mine doesn't work so not an option lol. i did buy a portable one to carry around which you could set to stop at whatever psi you wanted so it took some of the guess work out. sadly i used it once to help a guy on the side of the road and it quit on me, $80 down the drain lol

spoon059

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
No. The Airlift 1000's have to be inflated before loading the truck in order to prevent sagging because of how they are designed. The bag itself is not taking the weight of the truck. It is putting outward pressure on the coil springs to prevent them from sagging.
Never knew that... interesting.

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
If you actually look at the bags when they're really inflated, they get in between the coils to some extent and push them away from each other.

SlowRoller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Bicycle pump!!??!! Sounds like work to me,,,,

I have always carried a 12v compressor and tire plug kit. In 20 + years, I have never had to drop my spare or use the supplied tire wrench / jack as I could always 'plug and go' instead.

Viair makes some pretty decent pumps for this application. (Match your application / supply amperage. Bigger is not always better.)

As my fill port for the 1,000's is directly to the left of the 7 pin connector, adapters like those listed below make it very simple to do a quick 12v inflate before loading, regardless of my current location:

Hopkins Multi-Tow Trailer Connector Adapter - 7-Way to 5-Wire Flat/4-Wire Flat and 12-V Power Socket Hopkins Wiring HM47675

Fulton 7-Way to 4-Way or 5-Way Trailer Wiring Adapter With 12V Power Outlet-81083 - Gander Mountain

Amazon.com: Tow Ready 118019 7-Way Cigarette Lighter Plug Adapter: Automotive

Yes, inflate before loading. The bags apply a lot of outward pressure on the springs which help 'hold' the springs in the same position as when the bags were inflated. I have heard of (1) instance of a 'bad occurrence' where a guy inflated after loading. He indicated a spring 'fell out' while going over rough terrain.

Last edited:

Air Lift Company

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Ram
Engine
6.1 Hemi
Personally I put about 15 psi in the bags then add the load, you can adjust from there. Let me know if you have any questions!

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Personally I put about 15 psi in the bags then add the load, you can adjust from there. Let me know if you have any questions!

Does it matter if you air up before or after loading? I usually just go straight to 40psi, load it, then let air out as necessary.

Air Lift Company

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Ram
Engine
6.1 Hemi
Does it matter if you air up before or after loading? I usually just go straight to 40psi, load it, then let air out as necessary.

I would suggest putting a little air in the bags before loading just so the bags do not have to work so hard, then add pressure from there.

Be careful starting at 40, the bags are only rated for 35psi.

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I would suggest putting a little air in the bags before loading just so the bags do not have to work so hard, then add pressure from there.

Be careful starting at 40, the bags are only rated for 35psi.
You sure about that? I've always seen 40.